A short rant about many of the posts I have been seeing here. May come off as harsh but must be said

Options

Replies

• joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    And you should follow the advice of someone who has been in fantastic shape for longer than me over mine. I will never debate that. That doesnt change the fact there are some simple rules to follow to lose weight.

If we want to continue the car analogy, would you rather follow the advice on cars from someone who drives a car or who rides a bike.. the same rules apply. I have lost weight, I know how I did it, I know the rules work.

Can we stop the car analogy here though because otherwise we're going to get confused.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    The whole point of MFP is for support and motivation. If people didn't struggle, and fail, and start again, and fail again, and keep going and keep trying, there would be no MFP and everyone would be fit and slim and at their optimum health. Human beings are falliable, and losing weight is tough. Maybe not for you, for which, well done. But other folk sometimes struggle.

no mfp if for counting calories..

I never understood where people get the "this is a support and motivation" site…

when you sign up it asks you to put your states in and gives you a calorie number to eat to. It does not ask what support or motivational group you want to join.

It might be for you, it is for me, but why do they have a forum entitled Motivation and support? The forums are part of MFP as well.

Can we have a mean people thread soon....
  • Mikolinz
    Mikolinz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i sense op is a troll...
  • joejward95
    Options
    OP is not a troll, and it saddens me to think that people think I am. It really makes me worry.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Where did Lil Suzie go after the explosion?

Here and There.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    The whole point of MFP is for support and motivation. If people didn't struggle, and fail, and start again, and fail again, and keep going and keep trying, there would be no MFP and everyone would be fit and slim and at their optimum health. Human beings are falliable, and losing weight is tough. Maybe not for you, for which, well done. But other folk sometimes struggle.

no mfp if for counting calories..

I never understood where people get the "this is a support and motivation" site…

when you sign up it asks you to put your states in and gives you a calorie number to eat to. It does not ask what support or motivational group you want to join.

It might be for you, it is for me, but why do they have a forum entitled Motivation and support? The forums are part of MFP as well.

Yes, and every other forum is devoted to health and fitness, so what does that tell you???

One forum = motivation
    All others = health and fitness

=

Mfp is a health and fitness site
  • Cking1162
    Cking1162 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I never respond on these threads much but I had to on this one.....

Sorry OP, but you are wrong. Some people, myself included, have a much harder road.....
    I have to work out hard every day, eat a 1200 calorie diet to MAINTAIN....
    I have Hashimoto's, hypothyroid and am insulin resistant. Until I get my levels optimized, I will not lose weight. The endocrinologist has been trying for 3 years and we still can not get it right. But, I plug away....at least knowing that I am not putting on additional weight but I do not see weight loss like I should.
    My metabolism is very slow.

It really gets on my nerves the way that people come on here and spit out this crap saying that everyone is the same and it is SIMPLE to lose weight the same way. But, we are not all the same--and we do not have the same metabolic systems.
    I am happy for you that you have seen such success, but do not stand there and pretend to understand what many go through to even see one pound of weight loss. I think the primary purpose of these forums should be to encourage, NOT bash.

You are young and uneducated so I will forgive you. It is the older/ more experienced people on here that should know better.
  • joejward95
    Options
    Cking. Are you telling me, if you didn't eat for 2 weeks you would not lose a single lb? You understand that is literally defeating the laws of physics.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    In to hear more about how I'm doing it wrong.
    hwaj0qmwwuo9.gif
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    joejward95 wrote: »
    Amanda, you're making such little sense.(sorry that sounded rude) Yes I dont know as much as someone who has been fit for 10 years, but the very fact that I have lost weight shows I atleast HAVE the knowledge to have gotten there in the first place. Im not going to suddenly lose the knowledge next week.

If I start gaining in 10 years, I either work out harder or eat less. Its a simple rule to follow.

You know that self starvation will get someone to the same place? I doubt it allows them to posit on healthy eating practices. Experience is good, it isn't an automatic base of knowledge. Otherwise, the people here that have lost 100lbs three or four times (and regained it a year or two later) would be the best diet coaches.

Heck, I spent so much time in universities you'd think I know everything about your studies and what you need to do to succeed in school and life. Hint: I don't. Personal experience isn't a universal license on managing all cases for all. Thinking that shows both hubris and inexperience.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    19 year old who thinks he knows it all and has been here a whole whopping six months spouting off at the mouth. You're still new here. Stick around for at least 2-3 years like some of us, long enough to learn and see trends, get to know people and then you can say you're not new. Also get back to us in about 10-20 years when you actually have some hardships in your life you have to work through.

Harsh? Nah just the truth.
  • joejward95
    edited March 2015
    Options
    >so get back to us in about 10-20 years when you actually have some hardships in your life you have to work through.

You don't know a damned thing about me. Hardships are not an excuse for not being able to lose weight. Isn't it funny how people feel the need to use personal attacks and tell me about what my life has been like?
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    And you should follow the advice of someone who has been in fantastic shape for longer than me over mine. I will never debate that. That doesnt change the fact there are some simple rules to follow to lose weight.

If we want to continue the car analogy, would you rather follow the advice on cars from someone who drives a car or who rides a bike.. the same rules apply. I have lost weight, I know how I did it, I know the rules work.

Can we stop the car analogy here though because otherwise we're going to get confused.

I'm in fantastic shape. Have been for years.

As for cars, I ride a bike everywhere. I'd never choose to get behind the wheel of a race car. And I don't street drag anymore. I traded the sports car for the mini-suv thingie with the surfboard rack. And if people know enough about how analogies work, I doubt there's confusion. Most people study analogies in middle school, and certainly they are a decent sized part of the SATs.

I don't disagree about there being basic rules. What I completely disagree with is getting online and telling everyone that you're going to rant about others finding the process more difficult than you did and thinking you know everything about how to fix these things.

If someone asks a specific question, and you think you can help, then spend your energy helping them within their thread. Writing a rant like this is wasted energy. Either go help people or bow out.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Mfp is a health and fitness site

And wouldnt part of health and fitness require advice and support about how to achieve it?

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Cking. Are you telling me, if you didn't eat for 2 weeks you would not lose a single lb? You understand that is literally defeating the laws of physics.

Are you suggesting this is a good weight loss strategy?
    You understand that this is literally the path to eating disorders or medical issues?

Telling someone with hashimoto's and other clinical issues that not eating for 2 weeks will result in weight loss shows ... What? Your maturity? Don't think so.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Okay if you say so. Ignorance is bliss I guess...
  • joejward95
    edited March 2015
    Options
    No I am not promoting not eating for 2 weeks ffs. That much is obvious. I was making a point. She said she LITERALLY CANNOT LOSE WEIGHT. I was showing a scenario where that is impossible. And you know it, you're just trying to discredit what I have said by giving it out of context... pathetic really.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options

Are you suggesting this is a good weight loss strategy?
    You understand that this is literally the path to eating disorders or medical issues?

Telling someone with hashimoto's and other clinical issues that not eating for 2 weeks will result in weight loss shows ... What? Your maturity? Don't think so.

Exactly what I was thinking
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

That's not going to the extreme at all guru... not even a little bit!!
    Rays_Wife wrote: »
    19 year old who thinks he knows it all and has been here a whole whopping six months spouting off at the mouth. You're still new here. Stick around for at least 2-3 years like some of us, long enough to learn and see trends, get to know people and then you can say you're not new. Also get back to us in about 10-20 years when you actually have some hardships in your life you have to work through.

Harsh? Nah just the truth.

^ this lol Also when your test levels are at it's peak it's allot easier to lose weight ... but I'm sure the guru already knew this . . .
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If this post actually managed to deter someone, they really cant have had much motivation in the first place to achieve their goals. I mean really? Do you genuinely think a post like this would make someone go

"Welp, I guess I cant lose weight then because this post doesn't apply to me". Seriously?

it might start some negative thoughts off and lead to binging though.

If i were having a tough day, this would be my thought process after reading your post:

-He's calling me weak and un-dedicated because i'm struggling with my weightloss
    -why am i so useless, why do i find this so hard?
    -it's totally true and I'm going to be a fat lazy disgusting pig for the rest of my life
    -oh s*d then i might as well go eat, whats the point anyway?
    -maybe ill choke on this food and then at least i wont have to deal with this anymore

Cue one deeply negative spiral that could de-rail someone who struggles with binging and self loathing, for days.