Why do so many people hide their food Diary?

Options

Replies

• ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    Personally mine is on Friends Only and I don't need a whole lot of people I don't know or care about looking on my diary.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    Reading through all this, it is saddening that people who are in a friendslist, I would assume for support and motivation, would be so judgmental people would end up closing their diary off.

Personally, if I had someone on my list like that...they would have to go! Ciao! Im open to people who are there to be uplifting, not drag me down and make me feel like dookie. Regardless if someone has what I think to be an unhealthy diet, unless they voice some concern, Im not saying anything about it. I have enough on my plate worrying about my own choices...Presidente or New Castle...hmmmmm thats a toughie! LOL

Besides, most of the people on my friends list are there because we share similar goals and views towards weight loss. Unless they are downright hilarious and provide me with entertainment value, then I dont really see the point in keeping someone on my list who doesnt share the same general goals as I have.

?? That's a bit harsh. I share similar goals with my friends on the friendlist, and we enjoy commenting back and forth. We are all intelligent enough to understand what we need to do to accomplish our goals and we encourage each other to keep moving forward. I don't need to study someone else's menu choices to be encouraging.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Reading through all this, it is saddening that people who are in a friendslist, I would assume for support and motivation, would be so judgmental people would end up closing their diary off.

Personally, if I had someone on my list like that...they would have to go! Ciao! Im open to people who are there to be uplifting, not drag me down and make me feel like dookie. Regardless if someone has what I think to be an unhealthy diet, unless they voice some concern, Im not saying anything about it. I have enough on my plate worrying about my own choices...Presidente or New Castle...hmmmmm thats a toughie! LOL

Besides, most of the people on my friends list are there because we share similar goals and views towards weight loss. Unless they are downright hilarious and provide me with entertainment value, then I dont really see the point in keeping someone on my list who doesnt share the same general goals as I have.

I rarely bother looking at food diaries, but I clicked on someone's one time when they completed it only to see they were eating 600 calories for weeks on end. I made a comment and got deleted. It's fine if they didn't want to hear what I had to say, but I said it because I wanted to support them and I don't support people starving their bodies.
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    For me, MFP is a purely a food calculator. I didn't join to share my daily experiences or ask for advice, nor do I need it to keep me honest. I need it to keep track of numbers. I choose to keep my diary private; I am not "hiding" it. There is a difference! I don't need the concern (even if well-meaning) of strangers when it comes to what I eat. For those folks who are of the "we are all one" mindset, go ahead and open your diaries if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy to share stuff. Anyone who thinks we non-revealers are not being honest with ourselves can go eat a bucket of KFC (and then log it in your open diary so we can all have a laugh).
  • apple173
    apple173 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends. Not sure to open it everyone. If you can see it feel free to comment. Please note that for the past week or two i may jot have entered for a couple of days. Still ate well, just too busy to post in my food those days.
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever looked at anyone's food diaries. I couldn't give two squirts of piss what is in someone else's diary.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    ?? That's a bit harsh. I share similar goals with my friends on the friendlist, and we enjoy commenting back and forth. We are all intelligent enough to understand what we need to do to accomplish our goals and we encourage each other to keep moving forward. I don't need to study someone else's menu choices to be encouraging.

Was that to me? Not sure cause you didnt quote who you are responding to, but you used the phrase I did, about sharing similar goals... I wasnt speaking about you! I posted way after yours and it wasnt directed to anyone in partiuclar, or I would have quoted. So please dont take it personally! :cookie:

Like I said, my comment was general musings after reading about those who were negatively affected by people in friends lists who were judgmental towards them based on their diaries.

Wasnt trying to be harsh to you or anyone else!
  • ScorpioJack_91
    Options
    I don't think I've ever looked at anyone's food diaries. I couldn't give two squirts of piss what is in someone else's diary.
    LOL that was funny....can I use that one?
  • 4leighbee
    Options

Was that to me? Not sure cause you didnt quote who you are responding to, but you used the phrase I did, about sharing similar goals... I wasnt speaking about you! I posted way after yours and it wasnt directed to anyone in partiuclar, or I would have quoted. So please dont take it personally! :cookie:

Like I said, my comment was general musings after reading about those who were negatively affected by people in friends lists who were judgmental towards them based on their diaries.

Fair enough. I am technologically challenged, so I probably edited four or five times before I got the quote right, lol! No - it's all good, but let's not assume because we keep our diaries closed that it's because we don't have the same goals. xo
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    When I was here the first time, my friends and I learned a lot about food choices from creeping each others food diaries.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    um. because what i eat isn't anyone's business but my own.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    Because everyone is different. *shrug*

This^

Many people use this site to be accountable....to themselves. This is a big step forward for many people. Being accountable to the whole world is a different thing altogether.

this exactly.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    When I was here the first time, my friends and I learned a lot about food choices from creeping each others food diaries.
    Hope you creeped on the "right" food diaries ... idk, this is all strange to me. We know what we're supposed to do, right? So, we need to do that ... with foods that we like (so, can sustain) in the right quantities. This is not complicated. Why do we need to creep?
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I think that some people are more accurate knowing that others can't judge their choices.

^^This!!!!

However, if I were struggling and needed help, I'd have no problem opening my diary so I could get suggestions from the community.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    Options
    I think that some people are more accurate knowing that others can't judge their choices.

^^This!!!!

However, if I were struggling and needed help, I'd have no problem opening my diary so I could get suggestions from the community.

Agreed
  • Dragn77
    edited March 2015
    Options

Fair enough. I am technologically challenged, so I probably edited four or five times before I got the quote right, lol! No - it's all good, but let's not assume because we keep our diaries closed that it's because we don't have the same goals. xo

OHHHH!!!! Okay, thats not what I meant about that at all! LoL by share the same goals, I was meaning, the goal of being a friend who is uplifting, provide motivation, be of entertainment value...generally a friendly and positive influence.

I mentioned it in my earlier post, though I stalk diaries, its only to get ideas of stuff for me to eat, not to make any judgement on what others eat. I could care less about that. Like I said, Im not going to say anything about their food choices...Im worried about my own! Doesnt matter if someone shares my same *dietary* goals, what matters is that they share the same *supportive nature* goals. WHEW! :blush:
  • 4leighbee
    Options

OHHHH!!!! Okay, thats not what I meant about that at all! LoL by share the same goals, I was meaning, the goal of being a friend who is uplifting, provide motivation, be of entertainment value...generally a friendly and positive influence.

I mentioned it in my earlier post, though I stalk diaries, its only to get ideas of stuff for me to eat, not to make any judgement on what others eat. I could care less about that. Like I said, Im not going to say anything about their food choices...Im worried about my own! Doesnt matter if someone shares my same *dietary* goals, what matters is that they share the same *supportive nature* goals. WHEW! :blush:

mwah!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Hope you creeped on the "right" food diaries ... idk, this is all strange to me. We know what we're supposed to do, right? So, we need to do that ... with foods that we like (so, can sustain) in the right quantities. This is not complicated. Why do we need to creep?

I have one friend who's diary I actually look at on a semi regular basis. After seeing some people comment "yummy" on her completed day post I took a look at it. Sometimes if I see something interesting on her diary I'll either ask for more info on where she got it or I'll Google the name of it for a recipe. For me it's just a way to get some new dinner ideas.

• Dragn77
    Options

I rarely bother looking at food diaries, but I clicked on someone's one time when they completed it only to see they were eating 600 calories for weeks on end. I made a comment and got deleted. It's fine if they didn't want to hear what I had to say, but I said it because I wanted to support them and I don't support people starving their bodies.

Oh I can understand that...I mean, personally speaking, I dont have anyone in my list who eats that little (except a few who have bouts of slacking on logging...it happens), so I havnt been a position where I would feel compelled to say anything. Would I say something about it? Probably not, since theres that HUGE red warning telling them they are eating too little every time they close their day out. I woudlnt feel compelled to tell them what they already know. If they asked for advice, then I'd speak up, otherwise, nah.
  • Dragn77
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »

I have one friend who's diary I actually look at on a semi regular basis. After seeing some people comment "yummy" on her completed day post I took a look at it. Sometimes if I see something interesting on her diary I'll either ask for more info on where she got it or I'll Google the name of it for a recipe. For me it's just a way to get some new dinner ideas.

Indeed!! Just today, I got a recipe for Ethopian Rice and a really yummy sounding breakfast spinach scramble...all from creeping on diaries and asking my friends about it. Strange or not, all I know is Im going to try something new that I wouldn't have otherwise... :blush: