Why do so many people hide their food Diary?

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    When I was here the first time, my friends and I learned a lot about food choices from creeping each others food diaries.
    Hope you creeped on the "right" food diaries ... idk, this is all strange to me. We know what we're supposed to do, right? So, we need to do that ... with foods that we like (so, can sustain) in the right quantities. This is not complicated. Why do we need to creep?

We don't all really knwi what to do. There is tons of confusion as to how to eat to lose weight. Lots of people choose different paths.
    I can totally see how someone would want to look at a diary to get ideas on how to eat more protein from a friend who is good at hitting their protein macro.
    Or, like the OP, look for ideas on high fat, low carb meals or whatever type of diet they follow.
    Even someone new wanting to see the diary of someone who is successful.
    It's just not everyone needs that.

To add, I also agree wih previous posts about adding the type of people you want. If you are a diary lurker I don't see anything wrong with wanting to have a friends list of people with open diaries.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I kept mine open until some random person thought he could win an argument by judging the contents of my diary. Now it's friends only...they don't care that I had pizza for lunch, or graham crackers with chocolate cream cheese for dessert. They care that I damn sure hit my macros almost spot on.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I kept mine open until some random person thought he could win an argument by judging the contents of my diary. Now it's friends only...they don't care that I had pizza for lunch, or graham crackers with chocolate cream cheese for dessert. They care that I damn sure hit my macros almost spot on.

...Chocolate cream cheese is a thing?!!! :heart_eyes:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »

Yes!

Much better option than the frosting I used to put on graham crackers.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Dragn77, I like what you mean by being friends. I agree that it can be a wonderful thing, if done right.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Thanks to an eating disorder in my late-teens and early 20's, I'm still anxious about what I eat. I was down to below 90lbs or so and swimming in a size 0 pair of pants back then. I'm 100x better than I used to be, I've forced myself to be so much more normal about everything, I've put on weight that I desperately needed to gain (even to the level of a bit too much!) but I still over-think and worry too much about food/calories. The added mental pressure of someone reviewing my food choices every day would definitely drive me back into an unhealthy level of concern over my diet. I'm much calmer being able to watch what I eat and not worry about anyone else.
  • b3llzy
    b3llzy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Mine is open! :smile:
  • Dragn77
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »

Yes!

Much better option than the frosting I used to put on graham crackers.

Okay, I am going to have to take a gander at this for my days when I need something tasty for dessert and calories to spare! :yum:
    amy_kee wrote: »
    Dragn77, I like what you mean by being friends. I agree that it can be a wonderful thing, if done right.

Indeed! Some days, my friends list is *the* reason I get off my lazy bum and get my workout in. Seeing them root for me, and also seeing them succeed and be excited over their progress is so motivational!!!
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »

I have one friend who's diary I actually look at on a semi regular basis. After seeing some people comment "yummy" on her completed day post I took a look at it. Sometimes if I see something interesting on her diary I'll either ask for more info on where she got it or I'll Google the name of it for a recipe. For me it's just a way to get some new dinner ideas.

I do the same! I enjoy getting new ideas for meals. It's because I have several vegan friends that I'm trying more vegan meals (and enjoying the variety).
  • Dragn77
    Options
    Thanks to an eating disorder in my late-teens and early 20's, I'm still anxious about what I eat. I was down to below 90lbs or so and swimming in a size 0 pair of pants back then. I'm 100x better than I used to be, I've forced myself to be so much more normal about everything, I've put on weight that I desperately needed to gain (even to the level of a bit too much!) but I still over-think and worry too much about food/calories. The added mental pressure of someone reviewing my food choices every day would definitely drive me back into an unhealthy level of concern over my diet. I'm much calmer being able to watch what I eat and not worry about anyone else.

I can completely understand this, and I think its incredible that you are able to reach a point where you are making healthy choices for you. That is a major accomplishment! The undue stress is not worth it!
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    Because everyone is different. *shrug*

This^

Many people use this site to be accountable....to themselves. This is a big step forward for many people. Being accountable to the whole world is a different thing altogether.

Like that
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    Because everyone is different. *shrug*

This^

Many people use this site to be accountable....to themselves. This is a big step forward for many people. Being accountable to the whole world is a different thing altogether.
    Very good point.
    I have been here for a very long time. What someone else is eating is none of my business, until they ask for help. I would rather people keep their diary closed and log accurately. Then when they need help they have an accurate record of what they actually ate.
    This makes so much sense :)

• MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    Options
    Because it's my right to share? Or not?
  • MarvinGardunio
    MarvinGardunio Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends, And if I see a friend who is making great process I will look at his/her diary to see if there is anything that might help me. I will even share recipes if you like as my wife and I have added so good ones.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    When I was here the first time, my friends and I learned a lot about food choices from creeping each others food diaries.
    Hope you creeped on the "right" food diaries ... idk, this is all strange to me. We know what we're supposed to do, right? So, we need to do that ... with foods that we like (so, can sustain) in the right quantities. This is not complicated. Why do we need to creep?

Even after two years of logging and losing most of my weight (exactly one person has asked me to stop), I'm still not sure I agree with this. If I was sure what to do everyday for the rest of my life to stay on the healthy / healthy weight path, I'm not sure I'd maintain an account here. For me, this is almost as true now as when I first started
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever looked at anyone's food diaries. I couldn't give two squirts of piss what is in someone else's diary.
    LOL that was funny....can I use that one?

Haha, go for it :smiley:
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My friends can see mine.

The rest can not. Absolutely no way I'd ever open my food journal up to some of the comments I have seen made in these forums. Just a big fat nope, not gonna happen.

• madababanas
    madababanas Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I could also use some friends for motivation. My food diary is public but it used to be private because i would cheat on myself and felt guilty about it. And that is why i wouldnt want to draw any more attention to my food diary.
    On another note and offtopic, feel free to add me, because i find it really hard to keep doing this whole mfp thing without any support and motivation (i dont need cheering and applause, but i believe it could help me if i would see other people logging their food or going out for a walk or a run)
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Even after two years of logging and losing most of my weight (exactly one person has asked me to stop), I'm still not sure I agree with this. If I was sure what to do everyday for the rest of my life to stay on the healthy / healthy weight path, I'm not sure I'd maintain an account here. For me, this is almost as true now as when I first started

Congratulations on your hard work and great success! :smile: I appreciate your comments and should probably qualify mine, because I suppose they weren't very sensitive.

I meant that if people are looking at their friend's diaries for the "right" approach, there is no promise that the diaries they're looking at are going to be useful ... for instance, there are folks who try extreme approaches to weight loss. This is (imho) not a sustainable or advisable plan. Instead, I hope our (collectively) education comes from outside the MFP community and is supplemented by the things we observe in here.

I'm no authority when it comes to dietary needs, running, weight training, or weight loss. I wouldn't want someone to see my success and think my diary should be a guide. It's what works for me. Just because it works for me doesn't mean it'll work for everyone. As I mentioned before, though, just as people should be left alone to close their diaries, they should also be free to choose friends who have them open. I just hope those folks are also seeking nutrition education outside this community. I think most of them are.

Edited because I hate when I make typos. ;)
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I just don't see how making it public would help me or anyone else. If anyone asks how I'm accomplishing my goals, I'll gladly tell them.

Looking at my diary wouldn't be much help for them because I'm tall and heavy and need a lot of calories just to function and it's not the norm for a lot of women.

I weigh and log very accurately, so I also don't need diary reviews.

I'm losing inches and pounds very successfully. With some people's pushy ways, yes I've had emails offering unsolicited advice I neither needed nor asked for, why subject myself to even more very unhelpful critiques.