Should i start doing abs exercises

Options
I am currently doing weight loss. I have already lost around 8 kg. Have another 8 more kgs to loose. I can see some very good definition in my upper body around chest area.
I have been doing weight training and cardio workout since last 3 months.
Should i start adding abs exercises in my routine now? or should I continue to loose weight and once I achieve my goal weight only then i start doing abs workout.
Suggestions needed.

Replies

• satisatisati
    satisatisati Posts: 260 Member
    Options
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    does your weight lifting regimen include compound movements?

I only do "abs" once a week and that consists of weighted decline sit-ups, side bends, russian twists, etc….

So yes, you should train your core area once a week, but you don't need to every day..IMO

this assumes that your lifting regimen already has compound movements built into it like squats, deadlifts, etc...
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you do abs? If you're working every other muscle in your body, does it make sense to say, "Gee, I did my back, chest and arms today. Did lower body hard yesterday. Yep. Not gonna work the abs. Ever." I say, if it's a part of your body, work it. If not, leave it alone.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    SatiaRenee wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you do abs? If you're working every other muscle in your body, does it make sense to say, "Gee, I did my back, chest and arms today. Did lower body hard yesterday. Yep. Not gonna work the abs. Ever." I say, if it's a part of your body, work it. If not, leave it alone.

becuae if he is doing compound movements he is already working them …and spending 20 minutes a day on ABs is a waste of time - IMO - when losing body fat is what is going to show your "abs"

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    He's doing strong lifts last I heard which is enough I reckon
  • satisatisati
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Yes you are right @rabbitjb Its my second month now. Should I continue that along with my cardio workouts.
    Can you see any improvement in my upper body. I feel good after one month of strong lifting. But my lower body still looks the same.

• satisatisati
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    does your weight lifting regimen include compound movements?
    Yes I do two body parts each day. Chest/back Shoulder/biceps Squads/triceps
    and 30 mins of cardio everyday. 100+ pushups everyday.

I only do "abs" once a week and that consists of weighted decline sit-ups, side bends, russian twists, etc….

So yes, you should train your core area once a week, but you don't need to every day..IMO
    So according to you I should add one complete day for abs? right.

this assumes that your lifting regimen already has compound movements built into it like squats, deadlifts, etc...

• ndj1979
    Options
    Yes you are right @rabbitjb Its my second month now. Should I continue that along with my cardio workouts.
    Can you see any improvement in my upper body. I feel good after one month of strong lifting. But my lower body still looks the same.

just keep lifting, eating in a deficit, and mixing in cardio …

you really need to lose body fat for your stomach to start to "look better" and that takes time because you cannot spot reduce…

patience is key ..

but it would not hurt to one core session a week of say 30 minutes….but I would not do more than that….
  • satisatisati
    Options

I have read somewhere that its of no use working on your abs if there is a lot of body fat on top of it. That's the reason I am focusing more on burning calories by doing cardio exercices and lifting weights.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I have read somewhere that its of no use working on your abs if there is a lot of body fat on top of it. That's the reason I am focusing more on burning calories by doing cardio exercices and lifting weights.

that is correct…

but one session a week won't hurt …and making your core area stronger will assist with form on compound movements….
  • christopherlee147
    christopherlee147 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

You're sort of right. If you're looking for a "six-pack" you can do all the ab/core workouts you want, but if you have a layer of fat hiding those abs, you'll never see them. However, you do want to work out your abs so you'll really have something to show when the fat is gone. As mentioned above, you can obtain this as a part of your regular strong lifts routine, or add in an extra 30mins one day a week.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

What do you mean "no use"?
    Strength or appearance?
    Certainly going to help your abs/core strength which may also benefit the rest of your routine.

If you want to add accessory exercises into your routine then abs/core work is often a good choice (depending on your goals and current strengths/weaknesses).
  • satisatisati
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

just keep lifting, eating in a deficit, and mixing in cardio …
    Thanks i will follow your advise.

you really need to lose body fat for your stomach to start to "look better" and that takes time because you cannot spot reduce…
    I have already lost two inches from my waist line. you can see my old picture below. I have not done any abs exercise in last three months. Only cardio and weight training (2 hours each day).

9ofagtw32979.jpg

patience is key ..

but it would not hurt to one core session a week of say 30 minutes….but I would not do more than that….
    Will follow your suggetion.
  • satisatisati
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

What do you mean "no use"?
    Strength or appearance?
    Both according to me. I can do a lot of abs exercises like leg raises, crunches but I have not got any results with that in past not even in appearance.
    I have lost 2 inches with cardio and weight training.

Certainly going to help your abs/core strength which may also benefit the rest of your routine.
    Yes i will surely add abs workout in my routine as my waist seems better than before now.

If you want to add accessory exercises into your routine then abs/core work is often a good choice (depending on your goals and current strengths/weaknesses).

• satisatisati
    Options

You're sort of right. If you're looking for a "six-pack" you can do all the ab/core workouts you want, but if you have a layer of fat hiding those abs, you'll never see them. However, you do want to work out your abs so you'll really have something to show when the fat is gone. As mentioned above, you can obtain this as a part of your regular strong lifts routine, or add in an extra 30mins one day a week.

Thanks for commenting. Yes six-pack is my goal. I will surely add ab workout in my routine.
  • Spocky
    Spocky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    While I am watching Netflix from bed I do about 50 half-sit-ups every day. Just spend 5 minutes with training your abs every day, don't wait until you are skinnier.
  • satisatisati
    Options
    Spocky wrote: »
    While I am watching Netflix from bed I do about 50 half-sit-ups every day. Just spend 5 minutes with training your abs every day, don't wait until you are skinnier.

Thanks. I will also try that :)
  • sycokid666
    sycokid666 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In my opinion I would say yes . Or better yet build your whole core don't just concentrate on just the abs but that's just me ..
  • TCO76
    TCO76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    We all have abs underneath the flab. Getting down to a low bodyfat will make them appear. You won't gain any muscle to that area while lifting in a deficit. Strengthening them when you feel, will not hinder you but only help you as you add to the bar. I have never heard anyone EVER, complain that they over trained their core. It is however one of the most hated areas to focus on by many. Do some planks at night while watching tv.
    Congrats on the progress! Keep It going.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy ab exercises, knock yourself out. Personally, they bore the crap out of me so I'm happy with the idea that my abs are getting a workout any time I do compound lifts. Once you lose the last bit of fat around your middle, your abs will make an appearance. Unfortunately, if you're like me, your middle might be the last place you will lose the fat. Patience, and keep at it.