Sugar as evil

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    If I have calories left for the day, should I avoid fruit and just eat a protein snack? Am I putting myself at risk even with even a slightly higher level of sugar intake? I don't have diabetes in my family, and I am for the most part eating within my calorie limits.

I wouldn't worry about sugar much if you don't already have a medical condition that requires you to do so... especially naturally occurring sugars.
    If you have calories left, I would look at if you have met your protein, fat, and fiber goals for the day when deciding on a snack.

• jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Its not the sugar thats evil its the sugar substitutes like fructose that are. They mess with your body in a very bad way by blocking the I'm full signal to your brain. There is a very good youtube video on this link below. I recommend taking a look at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z5X0i92OZQ
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I'd be willing to discuss sugar being evil if we are going to be talking about the history of the sugar industry and the Carribean slave trade.

Otherwise? No. Just....no.
  • jt880
    Options
    If he's right or wrong HFCS is completely out of my diet and I'll be dammed if the weight is dropping off like crazy. Can we start a paleo debate next?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    14tVd.gif

Paleo... Lustig...

Oh wait...

IBABingoBlankSheetStd.jpg
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    just as it doesn't distinguish between unhealthy saturated fats and healthy fats in olive oil or nuts.

Actually you can monitor saturated fat on MFP if you wish, there is a report for that.
    I have to add that lately saturated fats seem to have been "rehabilitated" (curious to get to know what the 2015 USDA guidelines will say about them)

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    jt880 wrote: »
    Its not the sugar thats evil its the sugar substitutes like fructose that are. They mess with your body in a very bad way by blocking the I'm full signal to your brain. There is a very good youtube video on this link below. I recommend taking a look at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z5X0i92OZQ

Isn't fructose in fruit? :huh:
  • Gianfranco_R
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yeah, but according to dr Lustig fructose in fruit is fine, the problem is the fructose found in high-fructose corn syrup and sucrose (table sugar)

• jt880
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What lustig is saying is the fructose without the fiber is the problem. While many here don't agree with him my ticker says different to each his own I guess. I eat paleo, workout six days a week and don't eat anything with HFCS and continue to lose and feel pretty great even having hashimoto's thyroid and on meds for that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Heck. Fructose is the sugar in fruit.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but according to dr Lustig fructose in fruit is fine, the problem is the fructose found in high-fructose corn syrup and sucrose (table sugar)

Aahhh ok. Kinda makes sense

• rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    This post ended up going elsewhere, under "Introduce Yourself," but I really wanted it to go under this topic.

Here's my question:

I have a few friends who are of normal body weight and fairly healthy who are really focused on sugar intake for themselves and their children. I don't mean just not eating sweets, baked goods and packaged stuff like pop tarts, but not buying orange juice anymore for their families, not eating sweetened yogurts, giving up cereal, and even limiting fruit intake. They talk about how eating more than two tablespoons leads to sugar addiction, type II diabetes, etc. I'm married to a diabetic myself, so there are certain things I naturally don't keep in my house, and he has to track his sugar. However, he is overweight and has a genetic history of type II in his family.

For myself, I still eat cereal that has some sweeteners, eat a protein or granola bar that has some sugar for a snack, and I don't limit fruit, and will even eat some canned or jarred fruit if it's canned in juice. The only reason I don't drink orange juice is that it has too many calories and I'd rather eat an orange. I hadn't been tracking my sugar macros because I have been more concerned with fat and cholesterol, since that's a health issue for me. I just changed the MFP settings so it will display sugar, too, and there are some days when I go over on the sugar. If I have calories left for the day, should I avoid fruit and just eat a protein snack? Am I putting myself at risk even with even a slightly higher level of sugar intake? I don't have diabetes in my family, and I am for the most part eating within my calorie limits.

In your case I would not worry about the sugar... you don't seem to be going very high in it the way you are eating now....track what you are concerned with for YOU, (fat, cholesterol). Enjoy your fruits and occasional treats.
    Keep up the good work.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Heck. Fructose is the sugar in fruit.

Well, the name suggests so, but to say the truth fructose is present also in vegetables on one hand, while on the other hand fruits contain also glucose (in various ratios)

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What lustig is saying is the fructose without the fiber is the problem. While many here don't agree with him my ticker says different to each his own I guess. I eat paleo, workout six days a week and don't eat anything with HFCS and continue to lose and feel pretty great even having hashimoto's thyroid and on meds for that.

My ticker says different too...40 Lbs down and I don't worry about fructose at all....and I just generally kick *kitten* in the fitness department to boot....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    MFP gives me around 60 grams a day (I net around 1200 calories). Some days I do exceed that. However, MFP doesn't distinguish between added sugar and naturally occurring sugar, just as it doesn't distinguish between unhealthy saturated fats and healthy fats in olive oil or nuts.

Saturated fats are not inherently unhealthy.

Our bodies do not distinguish between added sugar and naturally occurring sugar (sugar is natural, but I assume you mean sugar naturally occurring in other foods). However, sugar from fruit for example will also give you fiber and other nutrients that basic table sugar will not.

That being said, issues with high sugar intake may arise due to having excessive amounts so that you are either eating too many calories (easy to do as its not that satiating) and/or limiting your diet to the extent that it is not otherwise balanced (e.g. having a good mix of nutrients). Foods high in added sugar may also be a trigger food for some individuals.

Outside of medical reasons where you should be limiting carbs in general, if you are getting a good mix of nutrient dense foods, hitting your calories, getting reasonable macros, not having an issue with adherence then there is no reason to limit your sugar intake, especially if active. By hitting your calories and macros and getting a good balance of nutrient dense foods, you pretty much automatically limit added sugars.

[Note: certain athletes such as endurance athletes tend to have a high amount of fast acting carbs for performance reasons].
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Calorie deficits tend to be pretty effective for weight loss.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Food is not evil.

Sugar/carbs are toxic to my body however. They are not evil however but in my case if I put them in my body it would be evil of me.