But I don't have TIME to exercise!

Options

Replies

• TCO76
    TCO76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    TCO76 wrote: »
    OP I totally get your point. It's funny to me how defensive people get about demanding that no one force feeds them that "EXERCISE" word. God forbid they actually do something that might increase their overall feeling of wellbeing. No instead they think they found some ancient secret loophole of how to lose weight using just math and willpower. Yes it works... we KNOW.
    But to the ones who are so uptight about this being the wrong forum, and how dare you hold your head down on others, blah blah blah......just look at yourselves. What are you defending? Humans were not designed to sit around and count calories. Imagine what life would be like if from the beginning of time man starred at his phone.. or laptop. Haha. If everyone had the I don't wanna mentality.

You might get a few of your online buddies to join you in your crusade against exercise, posting hilarious gifs and meme's, but at the end of the day you know your just mad.

If that is directed at me (yes I post humorous gifs and memes) and since I am the only one to post memes in this thread I would dare say you are directing that at me. Here are some facts for you.

Firstly I am not "mad" I use humor to bring joy to peoples lives not because I am "mad"

Secondly I exercise practically everyday and people who are familiar with my routine know that I workout pretty damn hard and consistently.

Thirdly nowhere did I discredit or argue against any of the responses I only voiced a grievance when I was flagged for abuse for an innocuous meme that merely stated that this thread had become derailed.

No that was not directed toward you. Just a general statement. People can take it how they want. It happens in all forums. Yours WAS FUNNY.

carry on
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - why are you telling people what to do?

I'm not even close to telling people what to do. Some people (as evidenced in this thread) don't consider exercise a priority because they simply don't like exercising, and I respect that. But the ones who say they want to exercise but don't have time to do so could have done three jumping jacks in the time it took them to say they don't have time to exercise. Just sayin . . .

so you are telling them what do with THEIR time…got ya...

No, that is plainly NOT what she is doing. She is calling people out on their excuses and citing examples. Stop putting motives behind people's clear words.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    OP - why are you telling people what to do?

I'm not even close to telling people what to do. Some people (as evidenced in this thread) don't consider exercise a priority because they simply don't like exercising, and I respect that. But the ones who say they want to exercise but don't have time to do so could have done three jumping jacks in the time it took them to say they don't have time to exercise. Just sayin . . .

so you are telling them what do with THEIR time…got ya...

No, that is plainly NOT what she is doing. She is calling people out on their excuses and citing examples. Stop putting motives behind people's clear words.

Thank you!
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I used to think that I had no spare time whatsoever but then I got a dog... and found at least 2 hours free every day in which to walk him..... bizarre!!!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    TCO76 wrote: »
    OP I totally get your point. It's funny to me how defensive people get about demanding that no one force feeds them that "EXERCISE" word. God forbid they actually do something that might increase their overall feeling of wellbeing. No instead they think they found some ancient secret loophole of how to lose weight using just math and willpower. Yes it works... we KNOW.
    But to the ones who are so uptight about this being the wrong forum, and how dare you hold your head down on others, blah blah blah......just look at yourselves. What are you defending? Humans were not designed to sit around and count calories. Imagine what life would be like if from the beginning of time man starred at his phone.. or laptop. Haha. If everyone had the I don't wanna mentality.

You might get a few of your online buddies to join you in your crusade against exercise, posting hilarious gifs and meme's, but at the end of the day you know your just mad.

Humans were also designed to contract and die from illnesses we now have vaccines for. Should we stop those too?
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I dont work out extensively. I get up super early and drive about 40 minutes to work a minimum 8 hours in a very fast paced setting.

But when I'm done getting my doctors charts ready? 10 minutes of walking around the nurses station.

When I go to the grocery store? I park far away as possible (unless it's super duper cold; cold makes my arthritic knee hurt lol).

When I was watching family fued earlier? I sat on the floor and did leg lifts.

Exercise necessary for weight loss? No. That's CICO.

Exercise aids in weight loss? You betcha.
  • sinfulsweetie
    sinfulsweetie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wooow... I suddenly remembered why I stopped coming on here. This whole, "OMG. HOW DARE YOU SAY YOU DON'T HAVE TIME!"

I'm a single mother to a toddler with autism who works not 2, but THREE freaking jobs to care for that precious baby. I get MAYBE an hour of peace and quiet. Do I want to use my only hour to run laps around our apartment? No. I want to sit down and relax.

I often skip out on eating because 1. We can't afford it and 2. I don't have the time to bother with it.

Tell me again how I don't give a rip about losing weight because I don't have the time?

In the future, maybe you should be a smidge less judgmental and mind ya business.

My original post did not say OMG. HOW DARE YOU SAY YOU DON'T HAVE TIME". You have taken it completely out of context. As it turns out, I have an autistic daughter. She is now 32 years old. I was not overweight until I was 51 and stopped smoking. Regardless, even though I didn't realize it as exercising at the time, to try to reach her, we danced a lot together to Beatles music. We went to the free zoo and walked and walked. She loved to be lifted up in the air (I'll never understand why) so I did that a lot. She required a lot of time and patience, and after not being able to find child care for her, I placed her in a nearby residential environment and brought her home on weekends. She's been in a group home ever since, with me still picking her up on weekends, and now we're exercising together. She got her GED a little over a year ago, and is now taking classes in the local community college on Early Childhood Education.

Never underestimate yourself or your child.
    Oh, ok, so now I'm supposed to take my child out on top of holding three jobs and his 40 hour per week therapy? LOL. OP, I think you're more than a little out of touch. Yeah, I literally have one hour of down time. If someone says they have no time, guess what? They probably DON'T have time. We don't need judgemental dictators telling us how to go about doing things. If I wanted that, I'd still be living near my family. Glad to see you were supermom, when you literally just said that you had to resort to putting your child into a group home and only having her with you on weekends. Thats awesome. My son LIVES with me. Not just on the weekends. I'm the one who whipes his butt, I cook his food, I'm there for his meltdowns. Autism isn't covered by insurance, so I HAVE to work extra to support the two of us. I get no time for myself aside from when I'm trying to not explode at the end of the day. I don't think an hour off of my feet to rest before going to bed is going to be the worst thing for me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, maybe you should be less judgmental and butt out of other people's lives. Do you get off on telling people "Oh, you have time to go on a forum, so you can do some jumping jacks! You don't need PERSONAL TIME."? If so, please, let me know. I'll gladly utilize a block feature as I have no need for toxic individuals in my life. Or I can move on to a different site where this behavior isn't applauded.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Wooow... I suddenly remembered why I stopped coming on here. This whole, "OMG. HOW DARE YOU SAY YOU DON'T HAVE TIME!"

I'm a single mother to a toddler with autism who works not 2, but THREE freaking jobs to care for that precious baby. I get MAYBE an hour of peace and quiet. Do I want to use my only hour to run laps around our apartment? No. I want to sit down and relax.

I often skip out on eating because 1. We can't afford it and 2. I don't have the time to bother with it.

Tell me again how I don't give a rip about losing weight because I don't have the time?

In the future, maybe you should be a smidge less judgmental and mind ya business.

My original post did not say OMG. HOW DARE YOU SAY YOU DON'T HAVE TIME". You have taken it completely out of context. As it turns out, I have an autistic daughter. She is now 32 years old. I was not overweight until I was 51 and stopped smoking. Regardless, even though I didn't realize it as exercising at the time, to try to reach her, we danced a lot together to Beatles music. We went to the free zoo and walked and walked. She loved to be lifted up in the air (I'll never understand why) so I did that a lot. She required a lot of time and patience, and after not being able to find child care for her, I placed her in a nearby residential environment and brought her home on weekends. She's been in a group home ever since, with me still picking her up on weekends, and now we're exercising together. She got her GED a little over a year ago, and is now taking classes in the local community college on Early Childhood Education.

Oh, ok, so now I'm supposed to take my child out on top of holding three jobs and his 40 hour per week therapy? LOL. OP, I think you're more than a little out of touch. Yeah, I literally have one hour of down time. If someone says they have no time, guess what? They probably DON'T have time. We don't need judgemental dictators telling us how to go about doing things. If I wanted that, I'd still be living near my family. Glad to see you were supermom, when you literally just said that you had to resort to putting your child into a group home and only having her with you on weekends. Thats awesome. My son LIVES with me. Not just on the weekends. I'm the one who whipes his butt, I cook his food, I'm there for his meltdowns. Autism isn't covered by insurance, so I HAVE to work extra to support the two of us. I get no time for myself aside from when I'm trying to not explode at the end of the day. I don't think an hour off of my feet to rest before going to bed is going to be the worst thing for me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, maybe you should be less judgmental and butt out of other people's lives. Do you get off on telling people "Oh, you have time to go on a forum, so you can do some jumping jacks! You don't need PERSONAL TIME."? If so, please, let me know. I'll gladly utilize a block feature as I have no need for toxic individuals in my life. Or I can move on to a different site where this behavior isn't applauded.

When someone says the have no time it rarely means they have no time. Sorry...
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wow. I don't think that is what she meant at all.

You may be one of the few people who genuinely doesn't have time to exercise, but just 10 minutes a day of light exercise might help with your stress levels and mood. (How long did it take you to type that rant?)
  • ncboiler89
    Options
    lemon629 wrote: »

Wow. I don't think that is what she meant at all.

You may be one of the few people who genuinely doesn't have time to exercise, but just 10 minutes a day of light exercise might help with your stress levels and mood. (How long did it take you to type that rant?)

Well said.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't have the time (or the energy) to worry about what other people do or don't do when it has no impact on me, my life, my kids or my family.
  • ncboiler89
    Options
    Personally I don't have the time (or the energy) to worry about what other people do or don't do when it has no impact on me, my life, my kids or my family.

Apparently you do...
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Obviously there are some situations where you just have to do the best you can and wait until your situation changes before you can do more...but those are few, far between and generally temporary.

Some people find ways to solve challenges...other people just use those as excuses. We all get to decide what kind of person we want to be.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Apparently you do...

Really? I come to the threads because I like too (doing something I like benefits me). I don't care if someone else works out, doesn't work out, sticks to their diet or not. (Which was the point of my comment). It's not my job (or my place) to judge them or question the validity of their reasons why they can't, or question their time management skills.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I think op has touched a nerve with some people. Don't take it personally if you don't have time you don't. Loads of people though who make excuses without realising. I used to be one
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    3 jumping jacks?! I read that like hours ago but it's stuck with me. I wouldn't even see the point of doing that? Is exercise really that additive on such a micro level?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    3 jumping jacks?! I read that like hours ago but it's stuck with me. I wouldn't even see the point of doing that? Is exercise really that additive on such a micro level?

i wouldnt bother with 3 jumping jacks either, but in 20 mins someone could have done 30 day shred if they wanted or there is this
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with Therealobi1. I have several DVD's including 30 day shred, that I can put in my DVD and work out if I only have 20-25 minutes for the day. I have various DVD's that I use if I am too lazy or don't have time to drive to the gym. (or if the weather is too treacherous.)
    2. Regarding the original poster's "I don't have TIME"....not only does it cover exercise but logging, as well. I have lost 37 pounds since logging and have logged some 800+ days in a row. I believe that it was key to my weight loss as well as clue me in to why I am in this situation. At work, I get the occasional compliment, followed by "how did you do it?" I explain about mfp and logging every day. It is invariably followed by "I don't have time for that". I explain that once you log enough food, mainly you just check boxes. It is honestly met with deaf ears.
    3. If I succeed, anyone can. All weight loss programs require putting some time or planning in, even the fad ones. A good example is the cabbage soup diet. It took all morning to cook enough cabbage soup. I still can't believe I fell for that one...twice.
  • CanadaEh1
    CanadaEh1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Well said :)
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    OP was giving examples about time management. It'd be like me saying I do t have time to do laundry or wash dishes as I watch tv or post on here. When you prioritize, you can have time for anything. Even with a family.

This is just my opinion, but I think that taking my child out to play for, say, 15 minutes of my one hour would not only instill healthy habits, but also increase their mental health, as well as mine. As far as what might make one autistic child "tick", it might be different from the next one. Perhaps the so defensive persons child is "sensitive" to outdoors. But there's always a game of hide and seek in the home, or a careful game of tag in the living room. Again, we dont know what the child's set offs are, but there's something that can be done. Working three jobs and being the single mom of a special needs child (which, I commend, because that's gotta be hard!!), doesn't allow for a lot of personal time for bonding. Me? I'd rather know I'm playing "I'm gonna get you!" For even a small portion of that hour, instead of just having me and my child sit silently in front of the tv, or them off in a room alone with their toys as I troll Facebook or whatnot.

I think I don't have "time" for a second job. But this woman is working THREE, with a special needs toddler. Which means I could very well work a few extra evenings, or on the weekends. I CHOOSE not to have one. Just as she has made her CHOICE to not take an extra few minutes.

The choice is ours.