But I don't have TIME to exercise!

Options
atypicalsmith
atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I hear and read this all the time. Whenever someone says, "I don't have time to (fill in the blank)', it just means it's not a priority. Exercise isn't a priority to those who don't make it a priority.

Do you have time to watch television? You can exercise while watching it instead of sitting on the couch. Do you have time to play computer games? Play a game, then do a bunch of jumping jacks or whatever, then play another game. Do you have time to time to talk on the phone? Take a walk while you're talking. Do you or your neighbor have a dog? Walk the dog. They love it, and you don't look silly just walking around aimlessly.

Make a list of all the things that you DO have time for, and then figure out how you can substitute and/or supplement them with exercising. You'll be surprised at what a difference it will make.

Of course if you aren't committed, you're never going to have time to exercise, weigh your food, stop eating junk because you worked hard one day out of seven and "deserve" a treat for the next ten days, or whatever. We're all in this together.

If we just make time a priority for planning our meals, weighing our food, and exercising even if it's only ten minutes here and ten minutes there, we will succeed.

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Exercise has little to do with weight loss. Wrong forum.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    people do need to prioritize exercise.

however, i'm not going to say those who struggle are making excuses. most people's jobs are sedentary; many people work 50+ hours a week; many people have to rely on cars to get around and don't live in cities with the infrastructure to support walkability; most people have households and often other people to take care of (third shift).

it does take special effort to stay active these days, but it's necessary for health. (and it's fun if you pick the right things. and it gives you back 10x what you put in, in terms of energy.)
  • ncboiler89
    Options
    Exercise if the work of the devil. I've done none in two months, I mean none, and have lost 20 pounds. Exorcise is for getting fit and making your body parts better so you don't die before you are supposed to but this is a weight loss forum and not a getting fit forum.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Exercise if the work of the devil. I've done none in two months, I mean none, and have lost 20 pounds. Exorcise is for getting fit and making your body parts better so you don't die before you are supposed to but this is a weight loss forum and not a getting fit forum.

it's also protective against dementia.
  • ncboiler89
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Going for a run now
  • tomatoey
    Options

Going for a run now

lol
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

Technically, this forum is My FITNESS Pal, so you're wrong.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

Did you intentionally spell "exercise" as "exorcise"? And this is a FITNESS forum, which includes losing extra weight, exercising, and working toward and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    This is exactly the right sub-forum I think... People who "have no time to exercise" will hardly go to the Fitness and Exercise sub-forum.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Too late for a run, but not for a couple of flags :)

why? he's right, for weight loss, exercise isn't necessary.
  • ncboiler89
    Options

Always have to get the last word in....
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    people do need to prioritize exercise.

however, i'm not going to say those who struggle are making excuses. most people's jobs are sedentary; many people work 50+ hours a week; many people have to rely on cars to get around and don't live in cities with the infrastructure to support walkability; most people have households and often other people to take care of (third shift).

it does take special effort to stay active these days, but it's necessary for health. (and it's fun if you pick the right things. and it gives you back 10x what you put in, in terms of energy.)

I agree, some people really don't have time to exercise, but they do have time to make wise choices in eating. And if they would exercise while watching television, they would feel sooo much better!
  • ncboiler89
    Options

I think she flagged because I spelled "exercise" wrong.
  • tomatoey
    edited March 2015
    Options

better get going on that run! lolol ;)

(i'm just kidding ;) )
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

His wording wasn't in check with MFP standards.
  • ncboiler89
    Options

(i'm just kidding ;) )

I hate running. Hate it so much I just tell myself I don't have time for it.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

Did you intentionally spell "exercise" as "exorcise"? And this is a FITNESS forum, which includes losing extra weight, exercising, and working toward and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

You seem pissed. Go for a run and calm down.

This is why I flagged him.
  • tomatoey
    Options

(i'm just kidding ;) )

I hate running. Hate it so much I just tell myself I don't have time for it.

Yeah, I only didn't hate running for a long enough window to give myself a schwack of tendon problems. But there are other things, I dunno. I like dancing.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

I completely disagree. Exercise is necessary to keep your body functioning properly, increase your metabolism, and, believe it or not, it burns calories!!!
  • ncboiler89
    Options

You seem pissed. Go for a run and calm down.

This is why I flagged him.

Solid flag