How do you do 1200 Calories?

Options
I'm minimal carbs, focusing mainly on vegetables, including sweet potatoes, as my main carb source daily and grains on workout days, but still find it hard to do my set base of 1600 calories. How do those of you doing 1200, not give up or kill someone because of hunger? Not judging, genuinely curious!

Replies

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Fat and meat. Ta-da.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Satisfaction and knowing WHY you want to stuff your face is important.
  • Emnelltt
    Emnelltt Posts: 14
    Options
    My calories are 1350/day. When I am hungry I try to spend time sitting with the feeling, because often it is thirst and not hunger. I drink a glass of water and reassess the situation.
  • jvt63
    jvt63 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't lift weights, so I find 1200 calories (lower carbs, higher protein and fat, lots of berries and nonstarchy veggies) filling and satisfying. When I lifted, I couldn't control my appetite, which is why I'm not lifting weights. (I think lifting is great, and I'd do it if I knew I wouldn't overeat.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    How do I do 1200 calories?

With great difficulty, it's definitely not easy for me :disappointed:
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Low fat turkey, egg whites, don't drink calories. Lots of salad. No bread.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Smaller portions. Eat slowly.
  • bellefeather
    Options
    I just make sure that I workout at least 30 minutes so I can cheat on a few calories like a glass of wine or some toast on my egg sandwich! :)
  • aygullum
    aygullum Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have a 1200 calorie goal. I sometime go under set calorie goal and sometime I over eat. I am still new to this app. I am struggling....
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I dont think I could manage it, unless its 1200 net, in which case its gym time so I could eat. It must be very hard for those of you on 1200 and not exercising.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I track calories every 7 days, not daily. Allows for high and low days. Works better for me. Feel free to check my diary. I had pie, ice cream and bacon today; 12 of 18 pounds lost in 9 weeks.
  • ninayoungdog617
    ninayoungdog617 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP to track calories so that I can truly track each calorie and staying at or below 1200 a day is crucial. I eat fruits veggies, lean protein, greek yogurt and dairy and only whole grain on workout days. I started in November 24, 2014. I'm down 36 pounds. I'm 9 pounds within an all time low. I'm 55. If you can do it, it really works. I feel better than I have in a long time eating this healthy.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I am/was on 1200 for months and no hunger at all except for the first 2 weeks were i had 3 or 4 days that i was hungry.

Its all about a balanced diet and much protein and fat indeed.
    I eat a lot of veggies (salads with every meal)

I also eat 5 times a day, 3 main meals 2 snacking times and i eat 25% of my training's calories back

And believe me in between those meals your really not going to die of hunger.
    Some self discipline does the trick.

Now on 1300 since 2 weeks

But like i said its all about a balanced diet.
  • jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    For me it was just reprograming that and working out to eat back those calories! Lots and lots of veggies too! I eat about 3 cups of spinach a day. Diary is open if you want to check it out.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have a 1200 calorie goal and workout six days a week. I RARELY net over 1000 calories. And sometimes I don't even net it on my rest day. I'm training for a half marathon and doing a lot of running. But I'm trying to up my protein and calories so I'm doing it in a healthier way. :neutral_face:

But I don't really have many issues with feeling hungry anymore. I drink a lot of water and try to make filling food choices. :)
  • jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    ^ Thats awesome I hope to be running next year after I fix the rest of me!
  • liebeindiana
    liebeindiana Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The key really is to fill up on good wholesome foods that will keep you feeling fuller for longer. I used to think this meant salads all day everyday and I couldn't really commit to that as no matter what I did they were bland as anything. I've been far more successful this time with sandwiches packed with veggies and protein, making sure I have steamed veggies with a little bit of flavour as a side for dinner (making sure I eat this before dinner) and lots of vege soups! I honestly find it hard nowadays to eat 1200, I have to push myself to reach that goal (unless of course I have some wine), and that's whilst still consuming treats like dark chocolate and honey cinnamon popcorn everyday :)
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I am supposed to eat 1280 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week. I have a hard time doing that but on the days I am successful (today is one of them) I eat very lean protein tuna fish at lunch and turkey for dinner. I had 2 fruits, 1 green veggie and 2 starches. I still can have 2 more servings of green veggie if I need to fill up on something.
    Due to health reasons I do not do much exercise so I do not eat back exercise calories.

Good luck to you
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    jt880 wrote: »
    ^ Thats awesome I hope to be running next year after I fix the rest of me!

Awesome?? It sounds like a recipe for burnout to me. But each to their own, if a person is happy AND healthy I ain't gonna judge.

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For breakfast :) I do Crossfit & powerlifting. I maintain on 2800 calories per day.

I tried the whole lo-cal thing for 20 years and gained and lost 60 pounds 8 times. Now I'm active and healthy and use food to nourish myself 80% of the time and for enjoyment the other 20%. I no longer binge or restrict.

If you want to be skinny and hangry like I was (and it was unsustainable for me), a 1200 calorie diet is the way to go. However, it's no way to build any kind of additional muscle mass. And without increased muscle mass or activity, you're not going to increase your metabolism. So you'll be stuck in this restriction cycle endlessly or gain it back. Can you picture that? For me, it was unbearable!