Fat Free Milk or Soy Milk?

Options
I was wondering which milk is the healthier option. I use a cup of fat free milk in my cereal every morning and a cup of light vanilla soy milk in my protein shake. Which is best? They also have Almond Milk and now Cashew Milk.

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Whichever you like the most...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Personally removing natural fats to 0 in any product is more of a merchandizing maneuver for market share, nothing more, and certainly nothing to do with health.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I was wondering which milk is the healthier option. I use a cup of fat free milk in my cereal every morning and a cup of light vanilla soy milk in my protein shake. Which is best? They also have Almond Milk and now Cashew Milk.

There is no reason to eliminate milk unless you are lactose or dairy intolerant. Dairy milk has protein and the fat in it is healthy fat.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. Since going low carb I've switched to organic unsweetened soy over non fat dairy because the soy is 1/3 the carbs. It's 4-5 g of fat per cup as opposed to the non fat milk. So for me soy is perfect right now. Will go to 2% dairy or something when I start to bulk for muscle building. Sounds like you're using vanilla soy milk with sugar in it so the carbs and cals are probably similar to the milk but with more fat.
  • monikker
    Options
    Also, almond and cashew milk have 0 or 1 g of protein so if you care about protein those are worthless. Soy is just a gram or less of protein so almost equal to dairy.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I can't have milk, but I love cashew milk.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    whatever you like

i prefer whole milk but settle for 1% LOLOLOL

strong dislike for soy milk (sorry all you soy milk lovers lol)
  • yogi323
    yogi323 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love soy milk personally. I like the taste, texture, everything! It's got more calcium than milk, and is on par with protein.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    If you are aiming to build/conserve muscle and strength training accordingly, dairy (whey) is significantly more effective as a protein source than soy. And on the other hand, soy protein has some protective benefits as far as heart health goes. At least in rats.

Otherwise, barring any intolerances or actual allergies, it's a matter of preference. Note that almond and cashew milk are basically white water, nutritionally speaking.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Neither. Might as well eat water with cereal.
  • Brittni__duh
    Brittni__duh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Soy. The breast milk of another mammal is weird.
  • monikker
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Lol, what?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Lol, what?

probably coz it tastes like crap lol

I can bear coconut almond milk in smoothies and tea. But not on cereal blaaaarrrrhhhh

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I avoid soy like the plague. It's phytoestrogenic, meaning that it mimics the estrogen in your body.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Whichever you like the most...

This. I don't drink a lot of milk (I eat a lot of cottage cheese and yogurt, though), but when I do use it I usually like the protein in dairy and don't personally care to add a lot of extra soy to my diet, although I do eat tofu on occasion. However, for someone less worried about protein or lactose intolerant something like almond or cashew milk is great, especially given the low calories. (I'm considering making some just to see how it tastes).

I normally use 2%.
  • xtraordinary
    Options
    Soy. The breast milk of another mammal is weird.

I'm glad someone said that. Btw Happy Mother's Day to all the cows that have their babies ripped off their teets, so humans can drink it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I avoid soy like the plague. It's phytoestrogenic, meaning that it mimics the estrogen in your body.

This sounds scary, but what does it actually mean? What specific harm will it cause you?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Drink your milks with fat. You need some fats and oils.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Eh, like I said above, drink the one you like and that fits into your macros. Almost no one is going to lack fat simply because they choose not to drink milk with it. (That said, if you like it better, don't fear dairy products with fat. Some find them more satiating.)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Whatever milk you want. I avoid soy because it drives me a little nuts, but otherwise all milk is fair game.