Mirena Removal - Eliminating a possible cause of not being able to lose weight

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I did the Depo for years with no issues (8 years to be exact) got a dose and my hormones went crazy. My OB said no more hormones for at least two years (we were done having kids) had my tubes tied and got pregnant with my son 16 months later. After he was born I did a copper IUD while waiting for hubby to get the two sperm counts after his vasectomy (to make sure we were in the clear). About 8 weeks after having the IUD placed it punctured my uterus and I had emergency surgery to remove it. If having your hubby get a vasectomy is an option I highly suggest it, it's a 30 minute procedure and even my hubby (who's a wimp about being sick or in pain) was back to "normal" in 3 days

Holy crap! Talk about bad luck :disappointed:

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I had the mirena. Briefly. I HATED it. I'm so glad I had it removed, for weight control and other reasons. There ARE other options (other than hormonal BC).
    Good luck!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    P.s I didn't mean bad luck about having your son :open_mouth: xx
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I did the Depo for years with no issues (8 years to be exact) got a dose and my hormones went crazy. My OB said no more hormones for at least two years (we were done having kids) had my tubes tied and got pregnant with my son 16 months later. After he was born I did a copper IUD while waiting for hubby to get the two sperm counts after his vasectomy (to make sure we were in the clear). About 8 weeks after having the IUD placed it punctured my uterus and I had emergency surgery to remove it. If having your hubby get a vasectomy is an option I highly suggest it, it's a 30 minute procedure and even my hubby (who's a wimp about being sick or in pain) was back to "normal" in 3 days

If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck. In my world Murphy was an optimist. If it can go wrong it will go wrong and the less likely it is to happen or the crazier the outcome the more likely it will happen to me.
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    The Mirena caused me to get melasma (dark brown patches) on my skin within 6 weeks of insertion. My GYN claimed that wasn't the cause, but I did the research. I had three mostly-grown kids by then, so it sure wasn't pregnancy or hormones! I have NEVER been able to lose weight as easily since, and now - it's 6 years later - I'm in peri, so I feel really bummed. I DO think there's an awful lot about the Mirena no one tells us! It surely needs to be tested further.
  • Christine_72
    Options

If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck. In my world Murphy was an optimist. If it can go wrong it will go wrong and the less likely it is to happen or the crazier the outcome the more likely it will happen to me.

naaaawww. If there is such a thing. ... You're next life will be a gooden xx

• Amanda4change
    Options

naaaawww. If there is such a thing. ... You're next life will be a gooden xx

There are days when I figure I must have been someone very bad (like Hitler) in a past life
  • esasse
    esasse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your feedback and stories. I am so excited. My husband would get a vasectomy but in addition to the extra time to make sure it takes, I think his insurance doesn't cover it as much as mine covers the tubal. I just want to get it done and over with. :)
  • afur73
    afur73 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i have today raised the subject of me getting a vasectomy, my wife isn keen on it as she isnt sure she is ready for something so 'permanent'. even though i have said for about 3 years that i dont want any more kids, she doesnt want any more either. i said that we would just use condoms until confirmation of vasectomy success.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    The Mirena caused me to get melasma (dark brown patches) on my skin within 6 weeks of insertion. My GYN claimed that wasn't the cause, but I did the research. I had three mostly-grown kids by then, so it sure wasn't pregnancy or hormones! I have NEVER been able to lose weight as easily since, and now - it's 6 years later - I'm in peri, so I feel really bummed. I DO think there's an awful lot about the Mirena no one tells us! It surely needs to be tested further.

I'm sure you're right about Mirena. I remember my doc claiming that it had no systemic effects. Oh yeah? So bigger, sore boobs, migraines, low libido, acnes and bloating were just a coincidence? riiiiiiiiiggght.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Hi - I had my Mirena removed on 13th February this year. I had many of the classic problems that seem to be associated with Mirena - hair loss, acne on my jaw line and boils on my neck, no libido AT ALL, bloating, puffy face and a ring of flab around my middle, (mmm - attractive!). I felt great after the removal (had read about the "Mirena crash" so I can't say I wasn't nervous) - about a day and a half after removal I had a severe bout of diarrhoea for two days or so (sorry - TMI!) and dropped about 3-4 lbs. I think this was related to the removal - I wasn't ill in the stomach 'flu sense and I hadn't eaten anything that could have caused the stomach "purge". The puffiness on my face and the "rubber ring" look around my middle disappeared immediately - my new efforts in exercising and eating correctly are, I think, gradually paying off (too soon to say really, since it's only a month since removal). Personally, if anyone suspects they are having problems with Mirena I would say get it removed - but I know it's great for a lot of women... it depends on the individual.

We're using condoms now as I realised I've had about 25 years of artificial hormones from various types of bc - so I'm hoping to let my body balance itself hormonally.

@esasse - Good Luck with your surgery!

I had the crash. I now encourage everyone who's going to have one removed to have bioidentical progesterone ready, and supplement with that until your body starts making its own again.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    If you were happy with an IUD, but not so much the hormones, there's always Paragard. It's a copper IUD. I am wary of Essure because it contains nickel, which is a metal that commonly causes sensitivities. (I get an itchy rash if my belt buckle touches skin, or a watch back that contains nickel.) I don't like the idea of the whiskers that come with an IUD. I suppose that since I have been denied continued prescriptions for the pill that I liked (and I have no interest in finding a new one - I've DONE that. The trial and error with hormones is killer!) that my best option at this point is having my tubes tied or removed. Or maybe a diaphragm. Do they still do those?
  • Amanda4change
    Options
    If you were happy with an IUD, but not so much the hormones, there's always Paragard. It's a copper IUD. I am wary of Essure because it contains nickel, which is a metal that commonly causes sensitivities. (I get an itchy rash if my belt buckle touches skin, or a watch back that contains nickel.) I don't like the idea of the whiskers that come with an IUD. I suppose that since I have been denied continued prescriptions for the pill that I liked (and I have no interest in finding a new one - I've DONE that. The trial and error with hormones is killer!) that my best option at this point is having my tubes tied or removed. Or maybe a diaphragm. Do they still do those?

Diaphragms are still available in the US, though I'm not sure about other countries.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Diaphragms are still available in the US, though I'm not sure about other countries.

They are harder to find than they used to be, unfortunately.
  • LittleNell107
    LittleNell107 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I had the crash. I now encourage everyone who's going to have one removed to have bioidentical progesterone ready, and supplement with that until your body starts making its own again.

Hey Sabine - sorry to hear you suffered with the crash! I haven't noticed anything yet but I had been preparing myself with various supplements beforehand, although I don't have the bioidentical progesterone I had read that it might be needed.

Can I ask all you ladies that had the Mirena removed - did any of you suffer from hair loss and, if so, has it started to grow back since removal? The whole hair thing is really getting me down - mine is still coming out in handfuls with every brush/comb and wash. I know hair growth goes in cycles, but my ponytail is down to about half its previous diameter!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Hey Sabine - sorry to hear you suffered with the crash! I haven't noticed anything yet but I had been preparing myself with various supplements beforehand, although I don't have the bioidentical progesterone I had read that it might be needed.

Can I ask all you ladies that had the Mirena removed - did any of you suffer from hair loss and, if so, has it started to grow back since removal? The whole hair thing is really getting me down - mine is still coming out in handfuls with every brush/comb and wash. I know hair growth goes in cycles, but my ponytail is down to about half its previous diameter!
    Yeah the crash sucked. It was something probably similar to post-partum blues. I was weepy, tired. Not myself at all. I wasn't fully expecting it. But I recognized it immediately and took action.
    I didn't have the hair loss issue. That sounds awful. Hope it resolves soon.
  • stephdeeday
    stephdeeday Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Birth control sounds awful. Threads like these make me extra happy to be a lesbian, haha. Sorry you guys have to deal with all this.
  • esasse
    esasse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Birth control sounds awful. Threads like these make me extra happy to be a lesbian, haha. Sorry you guys have to deal with all this.

This just put the biggest smile on my face! How true. BC and side effects and with all the different options out there probably sounds like a horror movie series to those that don't have to deal with it. I truly believe hormonal BC reeks havoc on womens bodies...to the point they or their husbands have to have surgery to get away from it not have kids. So thank you for the smile!
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I love Mirena and have had it for 6 years now. It has not caused any weight gain at any point in time. In fact, I'm smaller now than I was before I started. It does, however, increase your progesterone levels - especially when you first insert it. For me, this caused some pretty severe hormonal acne that was easily treated with a mild androgen inhibitor for a few months.

ETA: it sounds like you have other great reasons for removing it. I just wanted to add my thoughts on Mirena for the benefit of anyone else who is considering it.
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Haha I can share this sentiment! Though I've considered going on BC to help control my long, painful periods... but after reading threads like this, I'll just suffer for 1 week per month.