So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• verlorenkoh
    Options
    Thank you both for the advice! Looking up those lifting strats now :) And I already know how I can healthily add in those extra 500-600 calories.
  • realityhack
    Options
    Nobody will ever see this comment but...
    Cardio needs to be a minimum of twice a week better off three times. Start a lifting routine without cardio and your asking for heart problems.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Cardio needs to be a minimum of twice a week better off three times. Start a lifting routine without cardio and your asking for heart problems.

@realityhack That makes no sense. Lifting improves VO2Max (a measure of cardiovascular health). How would lifting cause heart problems if you don't do cardio "a minimum of twice a week"? Do you have any studies that support your claim?
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Start a lifting routine without cardio and your asking for heart problems.
    Wow. No way. Do you have any more advice? I need moar - so I don't die.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

It happened to Fred Sanford

3846754_o.gif
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Derpes wrote: »

It happened to Fred Sanford

3846754_o.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfResyFrqlM
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Not at all.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

lolno
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Doing my home state proud.....not

• peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    peterjens wrote: »
    @usmcmp - I entered my data into iifym's calculator and was surprised at how many calories I was allotted per day including the 20% subtraction for weight loss! I'm a 61 year-old male, 5'6", 199 lbs, ~34% bf. I plugged in moderately active only because I love to play racquetball daily, swim once/wk, strength train once/week and bike thrice/week - all these are for one hour periods. Otherwise, I just sit at home and play my ukulele and shop for and cook my meals, oh, and read forums. My BMR is 1660, TDEE is 2427 (5 times/week status) and with 20% weight reduction my allotment is 1941 calories. After about a month of hovering around 1500 calories, 1941 calories seems extravagant. Am I missing something? Will I lose weight? Do I have to eat the extra calories if I am not really hungry? Thanks for your opinion(s). Thanks for your patience with me.

@peterjens That sounds sort of right. You are probably between lightly active and moderately active (since you don't do much other than your exercise). That wouldn't drop your TDEE very much though. The general guidance many people get when starting out here is to not eat under their BMR. That's the amount of calories you would need if you were in a coma (even just laying in bed burns more calories than your BMR since most of us roll around versus laying still).

The reason you should try to eat about 1900 calories is because our bodies find that breaking down muscle is sometimes easier than using stored fat for energy. The further you are away from the calories you maintain weight at the more likely you are to lose lean mass. The further away from your TDEE you are the more imbalanced cortisol and leptin get. These hormones are important to the fat loss process.

I highly suggest slowly increasing calories rather than jumping up 400 calories. Sometimes when people first increase they see a jump in the scale that freaks them out. This is part of the process of restoring balance in the body as far as hormones goes, but often the scale shows a loss within a week or two.

@usmcmp - According to my Health o meter scale (which I will assume is accurate) the two pounds I lost this week was mostly muscle (1.4#) vs fat (.6#). I am going to experiment with increasing my daily calories.

What do you think about this ratio (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html) using the lower-fat carb loss recommendation?

Thanks
  • usmcmp
    Options
    @usmcmp - I entered my data into iifym's calculator and was surprised at how many calories I was allotted per day including the 20% subtraction for weight loss! I'm a 61 year-old male, 5'6", 199 lbs, ~34% bf. I plugged in moderately active only because I love to play racquetball daily, swim once/wk, strength train once/week and bike thrice/week - all these are for one hour periods. Otherwise, I just sit at home and play my ukulele and shop for and cook my meals, oh, and read forums. My BMR is 1660, TDEE is 2427 (5 times/week status) and with 20% weight reduction my allotment is 1941 calories. After about a month of hovering around 1500 calories, 1941 calories seems extravagant. Am I missing something? Will I lose weight? Do I have to eat the extra calories if I am not really hungry? Thanks for your opinion(s). Thanks for your patience with me.

@peterjens That sounds sort of right. You are probably between lightly active and moderately active (since you don't do much other than your exercise). That wouldn't drop your TDEE very much though. The general guidance many people get when starting out here is to not eat under their BMR. That's the amount of calories you would need if you were in a coma (even just laying in bed burns more calories than your BMR since most of us roll around versus laying still).

The reason you should try to eat about 1900 calories is because our bodies find that breaking down muscle is sometimes easier than using stored fat for energy. The further you are away from the calories you maintain weight at the more likely you are to lose lean mass. The further away from your TDEE you are the more imbalanced cortisol and leptin get. These hormones are important to the fat loss process.

I highly suggest slowly increasing calories rather than jumping up 400 calories. Sometimes when people first increase they see a jump in the scale that freaks them out. This is part of the process of restoring balance in the body as far as hormones goes, but often the scale shows a loss within a week or two.

@usmcmp - According to my Health o meter scale (which I will assume is accurate) the two pounds I lost this week was mostly muscle (1.4#) vs fat (.6#). I am going to experiment with increasing my daily calories.

What do you think about this ratio (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html) using the lower-fat carb loss recommendation?

Thanks

@peterjens That article is written for bodybuilders, not the average person. Also, the fact that she thinks somatotypes actually exist is very telling. Somatotypes (endomorph/mesomorph/ectomorph) was a idea written by a psychologist in 1954 and has been debunked multiple times. When an author mentions dieting by body type I tend to ignore their advice completely.

The reality of setting macros is that you need to find what works for you. I do highly suggest eating at least .8g of protein per pound of lean body mass (up to 1g per pound if it's not a struggle to reach it). Other than that play with your fat and carbohydrate levels. You do need fat for metabolic processes, so don't try to eliminate fats in your diet.
  • peterjens
    Options
    Yeah, I'm def not a bodybuilder. I will heed your protein guideline and experiment. I hate to lose the muscle that I've worked so hard to gain one rep at a time. I'll check in later with my results. Thanks.
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nhaiduckfit
    nhaiduckfit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OP I have a question! I find on days when I'm working that I sometimes can't hit all my macros. Is it important to hit 0's on all my macros everyday or is it okay to just be under <20 on protein or carbs and call it a day? Also right now it calculated my -20% TDEE at 1740 which is around what I each everyday (I workout 7 days a week, 2 of those being cardio days). I'm hesitant to increase +20% because that just seems like so much more than what I'm used to. Would you suggest that increase to be necessary?

Thank you so much for your help!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    OP I have a question! I find on days when I'm working that I sometimes can't hit all my macros. Is it important to hit 0's on all my macros everyday or is it okay to just be under <20 on protein or carbs and call it a day? Also right now it calculated my -20% TDEE at 1740 which is around what I each everyday (I workout 7 days a week, 2 of those being cardio days). I'm hesitant to increase +20% because that just seems like so much more than what I'm used to. Would you suggest that increase to be necessary?

Thank you so much for your help!

@mydearnicole I don't really understand what your goal is. Are you trying to lose weight or gain weight? First you said -20% and now you are saying +20%.

If you are worried that increasing from a low current number up to 1740 then check out several other calculators to make sure that you are accurately putting your data in to come out with the right number. You don't have much weight to lose, so it wouldn't hurt to just use the MFP method and set your goal to lose a pound or half a pound per week.
  • stclairm823
    Options
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.

What about it? There's nothing wrong with cardio. I suggested no more than an hour total for a week. If diet is on point there is no need for more than that and it is good to include cardio in any program. I did mention in the first point that people need to weigh their food. Sometimes it doesn't happen (a taste here or going out to eat) and cardio can help offset those extra calories.

Cardio burns calories. I use it with metoblic training everyday. Cardio by itself wont do anything but combined with a sculpting program it should work. My issue is this. Ive done these programs before. Like pt/24 7 and ripped in 30. It worked. The first time. Now cycling back to it. It doesnt. Anyone who could shed some light on that it would be amazing.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.

What about it? There's nothing wrong with cardio. I suggested no more than an hour total for a week. If diet is on point there is no need for more than that and it is good to include cardio in any program. I did mention in the first point that people need to weigh their food. Sometimes it doesn't happen (a taste here or going out to eat) and cardio can help offset those extra calories.

Cardio burns calories. I use it with metoblic training everyday. Cardio by itself wont do anything but combined with a sculpting program it should work. My issue is this. Ive done these programs before. Like pt/24 7 and ripped in 30. It worked. The first time. Now cycling back to it. It doesnt. Anyone who could shed some light on that it would be amazing.

It's your diet. Diet is the cornerstone for transformations.

Cardio helps burn some calories, but it's easy to blow half an hour worth of running in 30 seconds worth of eating. Cardio by itself means improved heart and lungs. An appropriate calorie intake and lifting means better body composition.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

Also, what do you mean by "sculpting" program? If you are talking about the videos like "30 day shred" or whatever, that isn't going to do it. Look at USMCMP's very first post for recs on the kinds of workouts that actually will help change your bodycomp. (Hint: No VCR/DVD needed)
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Not at all.
    lolno
    Doing my home state proud.....not

At this point the best approach for anyone searching for correct answer for "Cardio requirement/Start Lifting and Heart Problems" your best bet would be talk to a Cardiologist. Only and only a cardiologist will be able to give you a correct answer based off your current health condition, family history including your ECG Test.

Now back to ....So I want a nice stomach.
  • peterjens
    Options
    Cardio helps burn some calories, but it's easy to blow half an hour worth of running in 30 seconds worth of eating. Cardio by itself means improved heart and lungs. An appropriate calorie intake and lifting means better body composition.

Can I get an amen?