Stop the madness!!!

jimmmer
jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
Urgh... Cardio vs Lifting. Walking vs Running. Martial Art A vs Martial Art B. Godzilla vs King Kong...

When will the chain of stupid ever be broken? (Answer: probably never).

Just pick an activity you like to do. Apply yourself properly and do it correctly and progressively so you gain from it and grow as a person (a novel concept, I'm sure).

C'mon, it can't be THAT hard, can it?!

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    But...but... I want the BEST!
    So tell me what's the BEST exercise for my non-existent or ambiguous goals. Cause that's what I need to know!
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Exactly.

I think we make the mistake of looking at exercise to much from a results standpoint.

The exercise that will transform YOUR body the most is the one YOU develop a passion for and apply yourself to.

Find something you love, and go do it. Don't worry so much about the effect.

I lost fifty pounds years ago. I did it by doing lots of cardio and training at the gym (along with diet obviously).

Eventually I stopped doing that, and gained it all back.

Why? Because that took discipline, and Eventually, I got bored with it.

This time around im exploring active hobbies in addition to the gym. I'm loving cycling. Registered for a triathlon and a mud race this summer. Made plans to go hiking.

These are things I am beginning to want to for the enjoyment of it, not just to lose weight.

Hopefully that will take the work out of maintenance.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    rs_500x235-150107113355-BigLebowski1.gif

There is only one true plank.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Well, part of the issue lies with "pick an activity you like to do". MANY people, who aren't used to exercising on a regular basis, can't imagine liking ANY of them. So, why not ask for the advantages and disadvantages of one exercise over another? Really, if it bugs you, then don't reply.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    omma_to_3 wrote: »
    Well, part of the issue lies with "pick an activity you like to do". MANY people, who aren't used to exercising on a regular basis, can't imagine liking ANY of them. So, why not ask for the advantages and disadvantages of one exercise over another? Really, if it bugs you, then don't reply.

It certainly doesn't bug me. Not at all.

I would just advise a "try everything" approach to people new to exercise. And I am one of those people who had been sedentary my whole life.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    rs_500x235-150107113355-BigLebowski1.gif

There is only one true plank.

It's the RKC, one? Right? I'm right, aren't I?

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    I like a variety and particularly sports. When I train at the gym it's Olympic lifting and power lifting based because I can't see just doing something for asthetics.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Exactly.

I think we make the mistake of looking at exercise to much from a results standpoint.

The exercise that will transform YOUR body the most is the one YOU develop a passion for and apply yourself to.

Find something you love, and go do it. Don't worry so much about the effect.

I lost fifty pounds years ago. I did it by doing lots of cardio and training at the gym (along with diet obviously).

Eventually I stopped doing that, and gained it all back.

Why? Because that took discipline, and Eventually, I got bored with it.

This time around im exploring active hobbies in addition to the gym. I'm loving cycling. Registered for a triathlon and a mud race this summer. Made plans to go hiking.

These are things I am beginning to want to for the enjoyment of it, not just to lose weight.

Hopefully that will take the work out of maintenance.

Smart plan!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i can understand people wanting to bypass the whole trial and error phase that many have to go through before finding something that they like and that they'll stick to.

personally, i went through a few things before i figured out that triathlon was my thing. i tried crossfit, olympic lifting, body weight, and martial arts before i decided that swimming, cycling, and running was my going to be my thing.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    I dunno due to safety issues 2 of my favorite, hiking and swimming, are out despite ease of access. Neither one is one that should be done alone lol. But I found a class I like and a teaching style I can appreciate very important.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

Go try them- you won't ever know unless you do.

Asking if running/CF/Boxing/Lifting/etcetc is right for you is asking if you're going to like sushi from a mixed group of people. It's just completely nonsensical.

Much like sushi-for example running- go try it- go with a friend who can guide you through the basics- and get you started.

Give it an honest shot- then make the assessment- we cant' do EVERYTHING for you.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member

BINGO. Why isn't that part so obvious? :huh:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member

it's that it's a constant thing, these "What is better?" posts. it becomes hard to ignore after a while.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Urgh... Cardio vs Lifting. Walking vs Running. Martial Art A vs Martial Art B. Godzilla vs King Kong...

When will the chain of stupid ever be broken? (Answer: probably never).

Just pick an activity you like to do. Apply yourself properly and do it correctly and progressively so you gain from it and grow as a person (a novel concept, I'm sure).

C'mon, it can't be THAT hard, can it?!

C'mon - Godzilla hands down

giphy.gif
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

When it's pretty much every second post it's a bit dull.

One day last week there were four Cardio vs Lifting posts in sequence on the front page of the forum.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    C'mon - Godzilla hands down

giphy.gif

Thanks for the morning laugh. Awesome!

I'm not sure why there's so much debate over what's better. I would speculate that part of it is because many people are just caught-up on weight loss and forget that it's really their nutrition that will drive their weight loss and exercise to a lesser degree. I think if more people understood that and set some kind of physical goal (faster mile speed, strength goals, run 5K in "x" time, etc) then there would be less questions like these and the questions would be more specific to improving in those areas.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    What wrong with efficiency? Wanting to know the best ways to do things?

Every job got a right tool to use. Would you use a tool that takes double of triple to time to do the same work as another tool?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Every job got a right tool to use. Would you use a tool that takes double of triple to time to do the same work as another tool?

It totally depends on the goal and exact outcome. Sometimes it is better to take the long way than the shortcut and sometimes it's not. Quality should be #1 followed by time-efficiency.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited March 2015
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

It totally depends on the goal and exact outcome. Sometimes it is better to take the long way than the shortcut and sometimes it's not. Quality should be #1 followed by time-efficiency.

So if quality is more important the right type of exercise will always be asked to get to certain goal?
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    I dont think it will ever be broken. Just human nature i supose! Just look at all the juicing threads. Its mind boggling. The same thing over and over again.

giphy.gif