WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I see it all the time-- Someone is doing everything 'right'... following MFP's calorie rec, exercising, and not losing weight.

I've seen many people CLAIM the above...but often a review of their diary will prove otherwise.

Still..none of the above is the reason for this thread.

It's the people who don't know better than come in after it's usually claimed or shown an OP is eating a minimal number of calories and doing nothing but cardio and not losing and telling them they're probably just "gaining muscle".
    Well, it seems like there are people who think "it's not muscle" is a good thing to interject because someone might be at 1200 calories and under-eating, and then it must be relevant.

And there are people who think "it's not muscle" is a good thing to interject because people are probably overeating due to poor logging, so then it's relevant.

My point is if it can be muscle at any deficit/surplus level (which it appears it can be with newbies), then why state "it can't be muscle" for either case above, with calorie level as justification? Or cardio level, for that matter. Or BMI.

We just don't know. Even viewing diaries we just don't know what's going on. Self-reporting is unreliable.

because at 1200 calories a day and no progressive lifting program it is not muscle.

but what if they are new or a returning athlete on 1200 calories? Isn't there a chance that it's muscle?

with zero lifting and just cardio???

Well of course not. That wasn't part of the question. But a 1200 calorie plan with progressive strength training....could there be gains? I think that is all that WalkingAlong is stating.

I would think at 1200 calories a day and even with heavy lifting it would be hard to build any new muscle...gender would also come in to play, as a male doing this MIGHT be able to add some muscle...

but I don't have a definitive on that...

most of the comments in the thread seem to go like..

OP - I am eating 1200 and doing 30 minutes a day of cardio and not losing
    poster - it is probably muscle just keep doing what you are doing!!
    me - 1200 calories and cardio does not equal muscle gains...
    I agree there. But if they're doing all kinds of new exercise-- balls to the wall, like people seem to start out-- I think that's different. And if they're doing tons of cardio, that can have a resistance effect and/or inflammatory effect, too, in the untrained.

As for if you can gain muscle at 1200, my point is we don't know what deficit level anyone's at, even if they state it, even if you read their diary.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    loral15 wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    This common sense thread is getting saved to my bookmarks so I can retreat to it when I'm overwhelmed by all the bro-science and BS (same thing I guess) on here.

All of this has happened before...

You win for BSG quote!

It was a quote from Peter Pan a good half century before it was plagiarized by BSG! :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6drL3RbIA8k
  • amdied47
    amdied47 Posts: 10
    Options
    I am learning all about lifting weights, cardio and loosing weight. It seems to go slow but I am seeing some progress. I have someone training me and she told me that If I don't loose weight it is probably muscle. So, what you are saying is that it might not be? Like I said I am just learning and want to do this right.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I see it all the time-- Someone is doing everything 'right'... following MFP's calorie rec, exercising, and not losing weight.

I've seen many people CLAIM the above...but often a review of their diary will prove otherwise.

It's the people who don't know better than come in after it's usually claimed or shown an OP is eating a minimal number of calories and doing nothing but cardio and not losing and telling them they're probably just "gaining muscle".
    Well, it seems like there are people who think "it's not muscle" is a good thing to interject because someone might be at 1200 calories and under-eating, and then it must be relevant.

And there are people who think "it's not muscle" is a good thing to interject because people are probably overeating due to poor logging, so then it's relevant.

My point is if it can be muscle at any deficit/surplus level (which it appears it can be with newbies), then why state "it can't be muscle" for either case above, with calorie level as justification? Or cardio level, for that matter. Or BMI.

We just don't know. Even viewing diaries we just don't know what's going on. Self-reporting is unreliable.

because at 1200 calories a day and no progressive lifting program it is not muscle.

but what if they are new or a returning athlete on 1200 calories? Isn't there a chance that it's muscle?

Well of course not. That wasn't part of the question. But a 1200 calorie plan with progressive strength training....could there be gains? I think that is all that WalkingAlong is stating.

I would think at 1200 calories a day and even with heavy lifting it would be hard to build any new muscle...gender would also come in to play, as a male doing this MIGHT be able to add some muscle...

I agree there. But if they're doing all kinds of new exercise-- balls to the wall, like people seem to start out-- I think that's different. And if they're doing tons of cardio, that can have a resistance effect and/or inflammatory effect, too, in the untrained.

As for if you can gain muscle at 1200, my point is we don't know what deficit level anyone's at, even if they state it, even if you read their diary.

I would venture to say that the vast majority of people out there eating 1200 calories per day are not training at a high enough intensity that would even promote gains.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

I would venture to say that the vast majority of people out there eating 1200 calories per day are not training at a high enough intensity that would even promote gains.
    Why? They're dieting at the highest intensity. I think people often start out very motivated and doing more than they should, not less. Which is why they're impatient for the scale to react. They're busting their butts.

• LolBroScience
    edited March 2015
    Options

Why? They're dieting at the highest intensity. I think people often start out very motivated and doing more than they should, not less. Which is why they're impatient for the scale to react. They're busting their butts.

Creating a large caloric burn is not the same as training efficiently under a progressive program.

I'm fairly certain that MOST people would not be able to perform at a high enough intensity on such little calories is my point.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited March 2015
    Options

Because lifting is different than walking or even moderate running. Intense lifting depletes the metabolic batteries in a way that doesn't allow for recharging while on a large caloric deficit. Unless the individual is small enough that 1200 cals only constitutes a small deficit, it will be impossible to maintain the intensity for more than a small number of sessions, and it takes a lot more than that to build muscle.

This comes back to your earlier incorrect statement - it is NOT TRUE that you can build muscle at "any" level of caloric deficit. That holds even for noobs.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I think this is just one of those things that people say to be encouraging, a way of saying "the effort is worth it; keep going."
  • LolBroScience
    edited March 2015
    Options
    amdied47 wrote: »
    I am learning all about lifting weights, cardio and loosing weight. It seems to go slow but I am seeing some progress. I have someone training me and she told me that If I don't loose weight it is probably muscle. So, what you are saying is that it might not be? Like I said I am just learning and want to do this right.

Yes, it might not be true. It depends upon a lot of different variables, but I wouldn't let it get it you. Weight loss and body composition changes take a long time.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I think this is just one of those things that people say to be encouraging, a way of saying "the effort is worth it; keep going."

Maybe - but what's the point of being encouraging if they're not doing things that are going to help them achieve their goals? The thing I like about this site is that it's more about science, facts, and "tough love" than just meaningless internet-pats on the back. BS tends to get called out.
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread because it addressed what I always wondered, are some people really gaining that much muscle? I have not begun a systematic weight training routine. As I lose weight how can I know how much is fat and how much muscle? What would a weight training regime designed to preserve muscle look like?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Yes, it might not be true. It depends upon a lot of different variables, but I wouldn't let it get it you. Weight loss and body composition changes take a long time.

@lolbroscience didn't you have access to some studies on this???
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    keziak1 wrote: »
    Thank you for this thread because it addressed what I always wondered, are some people really gaining that much muscle? I have not begun a systematic weight training routine. As I lose weight how can I know how much is fat and how much muscle? What would a weight training regime designed to preserve muscle look like?

typically it is recommended to take beginning measurements - arms/chest/thighs/shoulders/chest/waist - and then retake them every four weeks or so, so that you can track your progress.
    -
    A good beginner program would be strong lifts or starting strength.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited March 2015
    Options
    A good beginner program would be strong lifts or starting strength.

I'll second that. Super simple and can take your body further than most people are willing to go.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

@lolbroscience didn't you have access to some studies on this???

Studies regarding the variables?
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Are you giving your opinion simply to defend those people or because you feel that proper tension over load in a progressive manner isn't a key to muscle hypertrophy?

There is a difference between busting their butts and actually training in an effective way to promote hypertrophy. Are you well versed in the science of lifting? Is your presence in this conversation right now a result of 1200 calories being mentioned?

Those are honest questions.
    Here are honest answers. No, I'm not defending anyone. I'm offering an alternative viewpoint based on the info I've gotten from books. Such as muscle hypertrophy occurs in environments outside of progressive lifting regimens and caloric surplus.

I would venture to guess I've read more books on the topic than all but maybe a few here. No, I'm not supplying a resume. I know you think since I'm a female over forty who doesn't post an underwear pic, I must be woefully uninformed. I'm ok with that. I put zero stock in post counts or photos as indicators of knowledge. I know you feel differently.

I'm here in the thread because in another recent thread njd posted something to the effect of "it's not muscle, you can't gain muscle in a deficit" (and other regulars did as well), which to me seems like a knee-jerk response anytime anyone suggests a newbie might be suffering scale slowdown due to their body's response to their workouts. So I posted a link to an article saying it could be.

That's the only reason I came in. Are you content with my presence now?

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    loral15 wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    This common sense thread is getting saved to my bookmarks so I can retreat to it when I'm overwhelmed by all the bro-science and BS (same thing I guess) on here.

All of this has happened before...

You win for BSG quote!

It was a quote from Peter Pan a good half century before it was plagiarized by BSG! :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6drL3RbIA8k

Is true.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm offering an alternative viewpoint based on the info I've gotten from books. Such as muscle hypertrophy occurs in environments outside of progressive lifting regimens and caloric surplus.

That is a long, long way from the claim that muscles can be added at any level of caloric deficit! And it's a claim you've made a couple of times now, so I'd be curious to know which of those books is the source of that claim. Because it is clearly wrong, and I've never seen a book that makes such a claim.
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    [quote
    -
    A good beginner program would be strong lifts or starting strength.[/quote]

thank you. What is "starting strength"?