If you miss pizza, this is a great substitute.

Options
Altagracia220
Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
edited March 2015 in Recipes
Then this is for you!

This is great because it is low calorie. It is 172 calories with pepperoni, 155 calories without.

-1 Market Pantry Carb conscious tortilla 80 Calories

-1 1/4 cup Uncle Steve's arrabiata tomato sauce ( 31 grams if using scale) 30 Calories

-1 1/4 cup fat free Kraft Mozzarella shredded (or 28 grams if you are using a scale) 45 Calories

-optional- Hormel's Turkey Pepperoni, 5 pieces about 17 calories.

Remember to toast the tortilla by itself for about 5 minutes on 350 degrees in conventional over. For more accurate results for sauce and cheese calorie count make sure to use food scale.

Replies

• Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    If you miss pizza, why not have pizza? I make pizza with store bought fresh dough for between 200-300 a slice of a 6 slice pizza depending on the toppings. At so low a cal count, why not have the real thing?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Sad food. No.
  • itsmegina
    itsmegina Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Sounds good if you want something lower calorie. Thanks!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Dude. No. Pizza's delicious!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    meh…I can make a homemade pizza that comes in at about 170 calories a slice and it is way better than this. I appreciate what you are trying to do, but that is not pizza, or anywhere close to it…

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Uummm... if I want pizza I'll just make space for it in my calories, thank you. Tortillas son para tacos y burritos. :yum:
  • AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love this as an extra! Pizza when I want pizza and this type treat for other times! I have all this at hand!
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious because I like thin crispy crust. I actually used to make something like it when I was on weight watchers
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    This is a GREAT option for people that want lower calorie pizza, why so many haters ? I still eat regular pizza every now and then, but sometimes I just want some low calorie, thin crust, cheesy food. Pizza bagels are great, are they pizza, no! On Passover I eat matzo pizza, should I stop because it's "not real pizza " lighten up people, if you don't like this, don't make it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It is a quick thin crust pizza. If you like it then that is great.
    You could probably add more toppings like vegetables or chicken and make it tastier and more filling but still low calorie.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    Then this is for you!

This is great because it is low calorie. It is 172 calories with pepperoni, 155 calories without.

-1 1/4 cup Uncle Steve's arrabiata tomato sauce ( 31 grams if using scale) 30 Calories

-1 1/4 cup fat free Kraft Mozzarella shredded (or 28 grams if you are using a scale) 45 Calories

Remember to toast the tortilla by itself for about 5 minutes on 350 degrees in conventional over. For more accurate results for sauce and cheese calorie count make sure to use food scale.
    Much better than the cauliflower pizza substitute.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    Then this is for you!

Much better than the cauliflower pizza substitute.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    +1 to this.

I actually have some photos of ones that I made a good while back that were DELISH.. I'll dig them out and post them here at some point!

Beats the cauliflower/cheese alternative hands down!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    We use pita breads for homemade pizzas because they're tasty and I'm well lazy. We also like the crunch! I make my favourite for about 600 cals for the whole 12" pizza. I eat the whole thing too :D
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea--thank you!

I do have pizza occasionally, but it is a huge splurge for me. I think that what I really miss is pizza SAUCE.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    20140505_160629.jpg
    That's one I made about 4 months ago!
    Around 500cals, 58g protein delish!!!!

• Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    Options

I do have pizza occasionally, but it is a huge splurge for me. I think that what I really miss is pizza SAUCE.

My favorite tomato sauce is just caramelized diced onions in a deep frying pan, toss in a bunch of diced tomatoes, a little water, salt, pepper, garlic, italian seasoning, and a little bit of equal and olive oil if you're feelin' frisky, then let it simmer for a long a-- time. It's really good and not many calories, plus it doesn't give me heartburn like most pizza sauce.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a pizza flavored quesadilla.

I love the Hormel turkey pepperoni better than "real" pepperoni, but it's not because of the calories. It's only because regular pepperoni is too greasy and gristly for my taste. I sometimes snack on that stuff, so it's nice that it saves me some calories while also tasting good. I have the same issue with nasty, gristly hamburger or sausage - I just use ground turkey or turkey sausage instead (but not the 99% lean kind because it's dry and boring - it needs a little fat to taste good). It just happens to be convenient that it's also lower calorie, too. Other that those substitutions, I just eat regular food within my calories. I've been known to exercise to earn more calories so I can eat the good stuff!

:)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Mech9 wrote: »

My favorite tomato sauce is just caramelized diced onions in a deep frying pan, toss in a bunch of diced tomatoes, a little water, salt, pepper, garlic, italian seasoning, and a little bit of equal and olive oil if you're feelin' frisky, then let it simmer for a long a-- time. It's really good and not many calories, plus it doesn't give me heartburn like most pizza sauce.

Yes. Homemade pizza sauce can't be beat - especially if you've got fresh tomatoes from your own garden! (*)
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    AmberSue09 wrote: »
    This sounds delicious because I like thin crispy crust. I actually used to make something like it when I was on weight watchers

So did I. And the good thing about this is it's a single serving- therefore I'm not tempted to have two (or three) slices of pizza. Some of us still need portion control at this point in our weight loss. And this can be baked in a toaster oven.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    lol You guys. Always so positive. Of course real pizza is 100x better. And of course if you'd prefer the real deal no need to look at my post. But this recipe is for those like myself, who can't order a pie and stop at 1 or 2 slices. Also great for those who don't want to use up 400-700 calories from their daily limit for one meal. It's for those who prefer a healthier, lighter, less greasier option. Thanks though!

Everyone else who left positive feedback, thanks and enjoy!
This discussion has been closed.