How do you do 1200 Calories?

Options

Replies

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    rayw89 wrote: »
    LeenaGee: mamapeach may not be very tall, so these calories may be just fine. She's consistantly eating more than 1,000 calories a day, so I don't think she's in the "danger zone".
    One thing I think a lot of people forget to consider when it comes to my(or other's) consuming 1,100-1,200 calories a day, is this won't be a forever calorie set. After I reach my goals I'll be in maintenance, which will give me a few hundred extra calories per day.

I agree the calories are fine for a small person and are not in the danger zone but her iron, potassium, calcium etc are.
    maidentl wrote: »
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    My diary's public. Feel free to look. I'm a vegetarian who often eats the same thing for a few days running, so it's pretty boring, though.

I'm in a spell where I haven't been getting much exercise for medical reasons, unfortunately.

I hope you don't mind mamapeach but you are constantly saying your diary is public so I took the liberty of printing it out and quite frankly I am not surprised you are as sick as your are.

And people wonder why some us make our diaries private . . .

I agree, I keep my diary and my life private but mamapeach repeatedly points out the fact her diary is public and constantly advises people on their diets. She is a brave woman.
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My diary's public. Feel free to look. I'm a vegetarian who often eats the same thing for a few days running, so it's pretty boring, though.

I'm in a spell where I haven't been getting much exercise for medical reasons, unfortunately.

I hope you don't mind mamapeach but you are constantly saying your diary is public so I took the liberty of printing it out and quite frankly I am not surprised you are as sick as your are.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee: mamapeach may not be very tall, so these calories may be just fine. She's consistantly eating more than 1,000 calories a day, so I don't think she's in the "danger zone".
    One thing I think a lot of people forget to consider when it comes to my(or other's) consuming 1,100-1,200 calories a day, is this won't be a forever calorie set. After I reach my goals I'll be in maintenance, which will give me a few hundred extra calories per day.

I agree the calories are fine for a small person and are not in the danger zone but her iron, potassium, calcium etc are.

I agree, I keep my diary and my life private but mamapeach repeatedly points out the fact her diary is public and constantly advises people on their diets. She is a brave woman.

You do realize that half the foods in here do not even have most of the micros recorded don't you? Potassium is a big one that is usually not in the database.

So your attempt at diary shaming is a bit of a waste of time.

Also, you are not in a position to say what is a dangerously low level for her.
  • rayw89
    Options

You know, she probably takes vitamins too.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Danger Zone? What is this? Top Gun?
  • rayw89
    Options
    Lol, I like that.
  • Swamplady100
    Swamplady100 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Fat and meat. Ta-da.
    I find it very hard. I got super discouraged. Gave up somewhat for awhile. Back to going on the food watch again. With me I am vegan. Normally I have no problem with protein. Here with 1200 count I find myself short with protein. When I get the protein the calorie count is too high. Decided to try again and keep record of what works best.
  • rayw89
    Options
    Would tofu or some meat substitutes help with protein? I'm a big fan of Gardein products myself.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

I hope you don't mind mamapeach but you are constantly saying your diary is public so I took the liberty of printing it out and quite frankly I am not surprised you are as sick as your are. I understand you are vegetarian and have Celiac Disease but it would be unrealistic to expect a young healthy person to survive and function on this amount. You are constantly advising people regarding their diets and yet you eat poorly in my opinion. When you analyse your diet, there is not a lot of food there and this is fairly consistent from what I can see of the way you eat. And what is with all the water - 16 -18 glasses a day.

2oz of Organic Edamame & Mung Bean Fettuccine - that is less than a 1/4 of a cup and that is your main meal of the day with a serve of cabbage and pepper stir fry.

I would be eating my right arm by dinner time.

Breakfast
    Trader Joe's - Irish Breakfast Tea, 24 oz
    Splenda - Splenda, Granulated, W/ Calories, 1 Cup, From Splenda.co.uk, 0.36 cup (25 g)
    Land O Lakes - Low-fat Half & Half, 4 Tbl
    Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 0.25 tsp
    Nuts - Almonds, 6 g(s)
    Trader Joe - Fat Free Cottage Cheese, 1 cup (113g)
    Libby's 100% - Canned Pumpkin Puree, 0.5 cup (122g)
    Spices - Pumpkin pie spice, 0.25 tsp

Lunch
    Explore Asian - Organic Edamame & Mung Bean Fettuccine, 2 oz
    Cabbage Pepper Stir Fry, 1 serving(s)

Dinner
    Simply Nature - Creamy Almond Butter, 0.5 tablespoons
    Fage Greek Yogurt 0% Fat - Greek Yogurt, 8 oz
    Nuts - Almonds, 8 g(s)
    Quick Tools

Snacks
    Quest Bar - Vanilla Almond, 1 bar
    Talenti Gelato - Toasted Almond, 1/4 Cup (100g)

Totals 1,115
    mamapeach910 Daily Goal 1,254
    Remaining 139

I also ran an 90 day Report on your diary and all your Iron, Potassium, Calcium, vitamins etc etc etc are all dangerously low on a consistent basis.

WTF

Seconding that WTF. Also, how do you even run a 90 day report on someone else's diary, and more importantly, why would you??
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Danger Zone? What is this? Top Gun?

i0nof.gif
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I normally eat 1450. But on some days when I try to make up for a bad week I'd eat 1200 for a day or two. I would keep my breakfasts and lunches to 250 calories. Would look like this:

Breakfast:

1 serving high-fibre cereal with 1/2 cup fat free milk.
    OR
    1 piece of wholewheat toast with 2 eggs/1tbsp peanutbutter/1/2cup fat free cottage cheese.

Midmorning - Protein shake

Lunch: 100g chicken breast with 250g vegetables
    OR
    100g white fish with a salad
    OR
    Tuna Salad.

Afternoon: Tea with milk and 1 sugar

Dinner: This is a normal dinner, but I keep the calories to 500.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I am still going

80739-Supernatural-Dean-WHAT-gif-wtf-kMqN.gif
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

I hope you don't mind mamapeach but you are constantly saying your diary is public so I took the liberty of printing it out and quite frankly I am not surprised you are as sick as your are. I understand you are vegetarian and have Celiac Disease but it would be unrealistic to expect a young healthy person to survive and function on this amount. You are constantly advising people regarding their diets and yet you eat poorly in my opinion. When you analyse your diet, there is not a lot of food there and this is fairly consistent from what I can see of the way you eat. And what is with all the water - 16 -18 glasses a day.

2oz of Organic Edamame & Mung Bean Fettuccine - that is less than a 1/4 of a cup and that is your main meal of the day with a serve of cabbage and pepper stir fry.

I would be eating my right arm by dinner time.

I also ran an 90 day Report on your diary and all your Iron, Potassium, Calcium, vitamins etc etc etc are all dangerously low on a consistent basis.

How rude!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Would tofu or some meat substitutes help with protein? I'm a big fan of Gardein products myself.

My vegetarian daughter loves the Gardein products, especially the crispy "chik'n" strips.

Also. DUDES. I am feeling good about my diary being "friends only" right now. FFS.

Mamapeach is wee, over 50, with multiple medical dietary restrictions. Personally, I thought that page that was printed here looked quite healthy. The micronutrient nitpicking is insane -- besides, I know I don't log my multivitamin, and I doubt I'm alone in that, sheesh. Plus, your "it doesn't surprise me that you're sick" is way out of line, and likely putting the cart before the horse. Consider that that day you chose shows a nice balance of whole foods, "treat" foods, protein and produce. I think that's impressive for someone not feeling well. You should see the crap I eat when I'm sick.

Mamapeach always has sane and balanced dietary advice in my experience. She's not afraid to laugh at her former dalliances with fad diets (and sharing the "true story, they don't work" has real impact for some!) And, as the omnivorous mother of a vegetarian teen, I appreciate her advice as a former vegan about good non-animal sources of nutrients usually found in meat.

So, nyah.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be more helpful to talk about deficit %? I mean, a person for whom 1200 cal a day represents a 20% reduction in TDEE would feel fuller than a person eating 1500 but at 50% of their TDEE, no? I am still trying to get this down pat, if anyone has the knowledge and time to explain that would be great!

'Course, that's partly how so many of us shorties gained the weight in the first place... by eating the same portion sizes as much larger people even though our bodies don't need anywhere near as much food.

Oh this is sooo true... I am not short but my husband has one heck of a metabolic rate, all of my weight gain is from gradually getting to eating as much as him (sometimes more because chocolate) after we moved in together. Now I am beginning to actually remember, looking at my plate, that this is what it looked like once upon a time...
    .....I also ran an 90 day Report on your diary ... Etc etc ...

Regarding the unsolicited public diary analysis, I find that rude and uncalled for. If one feels such deep and genuine concern for someone from reading their diary, surely after all the reading and reports they can take the tiny extra effort to PM if they must! Mamapeach is not a child and neither are the people who she might be advising.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    .....I also ran an 90 day Report on your diary ... Etc etc ...

Regarding the unsolicited public diary analysis, I find that rude and uncalled for. If one feels such deep and genuine concern for someone from reading their diary, surely after all the reading and reports they can take the tiny extra effort to PM if they must! Mamapeach is not a child and neither are the people who she might be advising.

I agree completely.

ETA to fix quotes, which I always seem to screw up.
  • vchan000
    vchan000 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    5'0 tall, desk job, nearing 40. I clock 1200 calories a day average, with a bit more on days I exercise and a bit less on days I don't. I found for me routine is key. My week days are very structured, and I admit to eating the same thing for breakfast every day, a small rotation of tv dinners/fruit for lunch and a most of my suppers are meat/veggie/starch in various combinations. I'm pretty resistant to food fatigue, and find this works well for me. I still eat at restaurants every week or two, and meals out/at family events provide enough variety.

Weekends are a bit more of a challenge with the lack of structure, but it's still coming off, so I'm still going with it.
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under 300 calories and eat about four to five meals a day. Mostly protein, fruit and veggies. I'll have my Starbucks Venti Skinny SF latte for breakfast, it's got 12 grams of protein, and I don't feel bad about it at all... :P That's 120 calories that I've decided to keep, and give up something else. I'm 5'1" and really close to maintenance, and I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I maintain at about 1600 to 1800 calories, okay 1600. I try to get at least 300 calories of exercise back a day, whether I eat it or not. If I splurge on a day, or even a weekend, I just get back on track, it's another day.
  • KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Plenty of veggies with every meal. You get a lot of veggies for a small amount of calories