How do you do 1200 Calories?

Options

Replies

• rsm193
    rsm193 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I exercise at 45 min on the eliptical everyday so i can eat more by eating most of my exercise calories back
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    20Grit wrote: »
    1200 is half my daily intake. I could not survive on 1200 a day, well I could, but no one else would.

High fives!
  • haysavam
    haysavam Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm minimal carbs, focusing mainly on vegetables, including sweet potatoes, as my main carb source daily and grains on workout days, but still find it hard to do my set base of 1600 calories. How do those of you doing 1200, not give up or kill someone because of hunger? Not judging, genuinely curious!

If I'm still genuinely hungry (not just bingy hungry) I typically eat over. I listen to my body and that's more of what this process is about than being under 1200 calories (I also exercise). So, if I want to rip apart a steak with my bare hands and shred it with my teeth because my hunger is inate and my body wants meat, I eat. If I want five scoops of ice cream and Girl Scout cookies I walk away.
  • kitchensolo
    kitchensolo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ha! @jt880, I think I'd save the experimentation then ... I have the same problems with cream. ;-)
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 calories per day and most days I struggle to eat that much. Eggs, lean meats, lots of veggies, even bacon (tho only one piece at a time). Easy on the bread. Veggies are practically free calories. Did I mention 37 calorie brownies? :)
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    mk2loser wrote: »
    Did I mention 37 calorie brownies? :)

Ya. But marijuana is not legal in most states. Rub it in why don't you.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 calories per day and most days I struggle to eat that much. Eggs, lean meats, lots of veggies, even bacon (tho only one piece at a time). Easy on the bread. Veggies are practically free calories. Did I mention 37 calorie brownies? :)

So how did you come overweight?

• LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    jt880 wrote: »
    Hi @jt880, have you spoken with your doctor about Tempeh? While a soy product, there are some significant differences that *may* (under the advice of a physician) be open to you. Fermenting is a powerful advantage. Might be worth a chat, if you haven't done so already. Indeed it stinks not to be able to eat things good for us, my mom loves grapefruit, but with high blood pressure medicine in her routine each day, it's a no-no. Here is some reading on Tempeh: http://paleoleap.com/dangers-soy/

My endo says no to anything soy based I may experiment with it though as long as i'm close to a bathroom :)

Why?

• mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options

So how did you come overweight?
    I quit smoking
  • jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi @jt880, have you spoken with your doctor about Tempeh? While a soy product, there are some significant differences that *may* (under the advice of a physician) be open to you. Fermenting is a powerful advantage. Might be worth a chat, if you haven't done so already. Indeed it stinks not to be able to eat things good for us, my mom loves grapefruit, but with high blood pressure medicine in her routine each day, it's a no-no. Here is some reading on Tempeh: http://paleoleap.com/dangers-soy/

My endo says no to anything soy based I may experiment with it though as long as i'm close to a bathroom :)

Why?

Its an allergy more or less.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So you ate more than 1200 at least.... You only gain weight when you eat more than you burn
    Quitting smoking doesn't make you gain weight
    It makes you maybe more hungry so you eat more. :) No offence intended

But seeing people posting i cant eat 1200 calories while they are here to lose weight because they are overweight...boggles my mind big time.

You can eat at least 1200, because before you wanted to lose weight you ate even a lot more.
  • haysavam
    haysavam Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and it's actually caused me to lose weight for the first time ever because it has empowered me. Overcoming that addiction has been similar to overcoming binging or overeating. If I can quit smoking I can say no to excess.

@TheOwlhouseDesigns‌ I cannot agree more with you about how people can't eat more than 1200 calories but got overweight. It baffles me as well. But I guess maybe they could have a medical problem?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    How does an endocrinologist diagnose an allergy? :huh:

I mean, I could see an endo telling you to not eat it because of the phytoestrogens messing with your system, but not an allergy. Mine told me that while my androgen levels were normal I was just very sensitive to it hence my presenting with symptoms, like hirsutism, which is typically associated with much higher levels.

Kinda curious on that one to be honest.
  • ZiggySquish
    ZiggySquish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    When I'm doing good - Whole milk, full flavor foods, (none of that low fat, sugar free, artificial crap for me) with lots of vegetables and moderate fruits, natural carbs like rice and potatoes, raw nuts, I strive for nutrient rich foods, and I have a very versatile pallet, which helps...
    However, when I'm NOT doing good, I still eat good quality foods, just really bad quantities... and tend to throw in lots of cheese and fried foods, and toasted creamy cheese bagels... or mayonnaise pickle sandwiches :(
  • jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I kept a food journal for a long time (way before coming here) and we discussed it at length. He suggested I stay away from soy and anything that is inflammatory food wise. Causing a physical reaction (without sounding gross) There was more than just soy on the list however one of the worst offenders.
  • ZiggySquish
    ZiggySquish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    1200 has always been a challenge for me, and I used to be very active and at my peak I would strive for 1600-1800 calories a day and found that I was still losing weight since I was able to increase my activities. Now I am struggling, so I decided to try the 1200 calories since I'm not able to really work out for a month or two, besides an occasional walk
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    So you ate more than 1200 at least.... You only gain weight when you eat more than you burn
    Quitting smoking doesn't make you gain weight
    It makes you maybe more hungry so you eat more. :) No offence intended

But seeing people posting i cant eat 1200 calories while they are here to lose weight because they are overweight...boggles my mind big time.

You can eat at least 1200, because before you wanted to lose weight you ate even a lot more.

It doesn't make any sense does it? :huh:

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I kept a food journal for a long time (way before coming here) and we discussed it at length. He suggested I stay away from soy and anything that is inflammatory food wise. Causing a physical reaction (without sounding gross) There was more than just soy on the list however one of the worst offenders.

That just seems like something a GI would be more likely to diagnose. I'd question an endo giving dietary advice that isn't directly related to endocrinology.
  • goldeneye77
    goldeneye77 Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    How do I do 1200 calories?

* Breakfast (16 oz) veggie/fruit mix smoothie** made with my Nutribullet
    * Mid-Morning & throughout the day Tea (Bigelow, Yogi, Celestial Seasonings)
    * Lunch (8 oz) veggie/fruit mix smoothie
    * Mid-afternoon (8 oz) veggie/fruit mix smoothie
    * Feast (reward) at dinner (even have wine)
    * Flavored (0 calorie) sparkling water until bedtime (feels like a cocktail)

** Smoothies "feed" the body important nutrients -- no "starvation" here. Tip: a banana & AlmondMilk makes every smoothie a winner! AlmondMilk now comes honey-flavored and cashew-flavored, eventually you might want to move on to "unsweetened".
  • Rashanti1
    Rashanti1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1240 since my job requires me to sit at a desk for 8 hours :-P. I always (intentionally) go over on protein.