How do you do 1200 Calories?

Options

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do not eat anything low-cal, low-fat or low-carb. When I eat something I eat the real deal, meaning all natural and minimally processed ( with that I mean whole wheat or other grains ground into flour, cabbage fermented naturally into sour kraut, bread baked from sour dough etc ). I do not avoid starchy vegetables, but because of health reasons ( RA and Lupus ) avoid processed white flour, added sugar ( but do not limit naturally occuring sugars ever ) and anything chemically processed. I don't eat all that much fruit, because I prefer vegetables and eat a lot of them as I do beans, lentils, chick peas and other legumes and pulses.
    I eat a normal amount of protein, mostly from non-animal sources. I am not a vegetarian, but also did not grow up like many American do believing that animal protein or a lot of protein in general is the main point of nutrition, so I keep protein at an acceptable average. I grew up in and now live in a culture that does not snack, plus I practice 18:6 ( give or take an hour ) and eat two satisfying meals a day between 2-8 pm, because I am a volume eater. I do not drink my calories and very rarely eat my exercise calories. It helps that I am under 5 feet tall and going on 70. I have never felt hungry since I joined MFP two years ago and started to eat 1200 calories and have lost 55 pounds. I also don't do cheat meals/days, because I eat exactly what I want....:o), which makes " cheating " not necessary. Well, at least for me.
    Over Christmas I went on what would be maintenance for me and found that it was too much food to feel comfortable. I will have to deal with that when I get to maintenance level.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    P.S. Since there's no finish line, why does everyone want to lose 2 pounds per week? That's a good way to lose muscle mass with your fat loss. Do you want to be skinny fat? If not, slow down and work on your body composition! Is your goal just to be smaller and not leaner? If so, 2 pounds a week is a great way to go!

For some people it does not matter if they are super in shape or skinny fat, because they need to lose weight because of maybe heart disease, lung disease or other health problems where the sheer weight is the problem that keep certain organs from working adequately.
    When I was told two years ago that I needed to lose weight ( which I knew, but had ignored ) it was mostly to take off pressure of my joints, which with a less than five feet tall body could not carry all my overweight comfortably. I was told to lose as fast as possible as much as possible, getting into good shape was something I could do afterwards. It is something I am doing now. I just walked 90 minutes of which I carried 7 kilos groceries during 35.
    In general I agree that 2 pounds a week is a lot to lose consistently. However, since we don't know why the OP has chosen that number I am not going to try to scare her with being skinny fat , because being skinny fat is the least of someone's problems if the overweight itself becomes health or life threatening.
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    rayw89 wrote: »
    LeenaGee: mamapeach may not be very tall, so these calories may be just fine. She's consistantly eating more than 1,000 calories a day, so I don't think she's in the "danger zone".
    One thing I think a lot of people forget to consider when it comes to my(or other's) consuming 1,100-1,200 calories a day, is this won't be a forever calorie set. After I reach my goals I'll be in maintenance, which will give me a few hundred extra calories per day.

I agree the calories are fine for a small person and are not in the danger zone but her iron, potassium, calcium etc are.
    maidentl wrote: »
    My diary's public. Feel free to look. I'm a vegetarian who often eats the same thing for a few days running, so it's pretty boring, though.

I'm in a spell where I haven't been getting much exercise for medical reasons, unfortunately.

I hope you don't mind mamapeach but you are constantly saying your diary is public so I took the liberty of printing it out and quite frankly I am not surprised you are as sick as your are.

And people wonder why some us make our diaries private . . .

I agree, I keep my diary and my life private but mamapeach repeatedly points out the fact her diary is public and constantly advises people on their diets. She is a brave woman.

Danger Zone? What is this? Top Gun?

awesome
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm curious for you and anyone doing either IF or zig-zagging. How do you set your calorie goals in your diary?

I set them to "whatever" and then ignore them. There's only one macro I care about, so the rest of the information just doesn't matter.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My diary's public. Feel free to look. I'm a vegetarian who often eats the same thing for a few days running, so it's pretty boring, though.

I'm in a spell where I haven't been getting much exercise for medical reasons, unfortunately.

I hope you don't mind mamapeach but you are constantly saying your diary is public so I took the liberty of printing it out and quite frankly I am not surprised you are as sick as your are. I understand you are vegetarian and have Celiac Disease but it would be unrealistic to expect a young healthy person to survive and function on this amount. You are constantly advising people regarding their diets and yet you eat poorly in my opinion. When you analyse your diet, there is not a lot of food there and this is fairly consistent from what I can see of the way you eat. And what is with all the water - 16 -18 glasses a day.

2oz of Organic Edamame & Mung Bean Fettuccine - that is less than a 1/4 of a cup and that is your main meal of the day with a serve of cabbage and pepper stir fry.

I would be eating my right arm by dinner time.

Breakfast
    Trader Joe's - Irish Breakfast Tea, 24 oz
    Splenda - Splenda, Granulated, W/ Calories, 1 Cup, From Splenda.co.uk, 0.36 cup (25 g)
    Land O Lakes - Low-fat Half & Half, 4 Tbl
    Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 0.25 tsp
    Nuts - Almonds, 6 g(s)
    Trader Joe - Fat Free Cottage Cheese, 1 cup (113g)
    Libby's 100% - Canned Pumpkin Puree, 0.5 cup (122g)
    Spices - Pumpkin pie spice, 0.25 tsp

Lunch
    Explore Asian - Organic Edamame & Mung Bean Fettuccine, 2 oz
    Cabbage Pepper Stir Fry, 1 serving(s)

Dinner
    Simply Nature - Creamy Almond Butter, 0.5 tablespoons
    Fage Greek Yogurt 0% Fat - Greek Yogurt, 8 oz
    Nuts - Almonds, 8 g(s)
    Quick Tools

Snacks
    Quest Bar - Vanilla Almond, 1 bar
    Talenti Gelato - Toasted Almond, 1/4 Cup (100g)

Totals 1,115
    mamapeach910 Daily Goal 1,254
    Remaining 139

I also ran an 90 day Report on your diary and all your Iron, Potassium, Calcium, vitamins etc etc etc are all dangerously low on a consistent basis.

Leena, I am very short and 52 years old (I am amused you referred to me as young) and have hypothyroidism. I need to run at an extra deficit to lose weight. 2 ounces is the recommended serving size for pasta. Hint: it's measured dry, before cooking.

Editing to add that as for my illnesses? Do some research on how some people have an autoimmune response to pregnancy. Educate yourself.

Editing to add one more thing regarding all the water. I have chronic dry mouth and throat due to a medication I'm taking.

I know you don't need validation, but I eat 2 oz of pasta all the time. Mixed with veggies, it seems like a lot. There is nothing wrong with 2 oz and vegetables being a main meal for the day.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    It amazes me that she went after you like that at all. You deserve a public apology.

Maidentl, you are absolutely correct, if I caused Mamapeach any distress I wholeheartedly apologise. Mamapeach knows me and I hope you knows that I would never deliberately set out to hurt her personally in any way and I certainly never intended to "go after her" and if it came across like that, it was not my intention.

Now my next words are to Mamapeach, "I am sorry if my words offended you in any way and I do sincerely apoligise. I never at any time meant to hurt or embarrass you. Feel free to PM me at any time if you wish to discuss the matter further as I have no intention of making the situation any worse by continuing to discuss your diary and my comments in detail.

One small thing I will clarify though is the misunderstanding that I thought you were a young person. I know your age and I think the mistake came from this sentence of mine -
    "I understand you are vegetarian and have Celiac Disease but it would be unrealistic to expect a young healthy person to survive and function on this amount."

However, I wasn't referring to you as the "young" person. It would certainly be nice is we could so easily turn back the years.

I am sure at a later date, our difference of opinions will cause us to clash again but I really do not want to do it on a personal level and am sorry it came to that in the first place as that was not my intention.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    @LeenaGee, can you answer the question about the 90 report on micronutrients please? I'm interested to know how you do that.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 before my dessert usually and hit all my macros in the first 1200. If I wanted or needed to do 1200 I'd make my dessert a small piece of chocolate and berries and fix up a few other things throughout the day.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    It amazes me that she went after you like that at all. You deserve a public apology.

Maidentl, you are absolutely correct, if I caused Mamapeach any distress I wholeheartedly apologise. Mamapeach knows me and I hope you knows that I would never deliberately set out to hurt her personally in any way and I certainly never intended to "go after her" and if it came across like that, it was not my intention.

Now my next words are to Mamapeach, "I am sorry if my words offended you in any way and I do sincerely apoligise. I never at any time meant to hurt or embarrass you. Feel free to PM me at any time if you wish to discuss the matter further as I have no intention of making the situation any worse by continuing to discuss your diary and my comments in detail.

One small thing I will clarify though is the misunderstanding that I thought you were a young person. I know your age and I think the mistake came from this sentence of mine -
    "I understand you are vegetarian and have Celiac Disease but it would be unrealistic to expect a young healthy person to survive and function on this amount."

However, I wasn't referring to you as the "young" person. It would certainly be nice is we could so easily turn back the years.

I am sure at a later date, our difference of opinions will cause us to clash again but I really do not want to do it on a personal level and am sorry it came to that in the first place as that was not my intention.

Thank you for apologizing, but your words didn't hurt me. I'd rather you had addressed the factual inaccuracies in your post, frankly.

The fact of the matter is that I am not undernourished and my caloric intake is not inappropriate for a woman of my age and height.

Another fact is that my medical conditions have nothing to do with my food intake.

However, I know your posting style, and I know that you rarely back down from anything you say. And that's fine. I don't expect you to change.

• PeachyCarol
    edited March 2015
    Options

I hope you don't mind mamapeach but you are constantly saying your diary is public so I took the liberty of printing it out and quite frankly I am not surprised you are as sick as your are. I understand you are vegetarian and have Celiac Disease but it would be unrealistic to expect a young healthy person to survive and function on this amount. You are constantly advising people regarding their diets and yet you eat poorly in my opinion. When you analyse your diet, there is not a lot of food there and this is fairly consistent from what I can see of the way you eat. And what is with all the water - 16 -18 glasses a day.

2oz of Organic Edamame & Mung Bean Fettuccine - that is less than a 1/4 of a cup and that is your main meal of the day with a serve of cabbage and pepper stir fry.

Breakfast
    Splenda - Splenda, Granulated, W/ Calories, 1 Cup, From Splenda.co.uk, 0.36 cup (25 g)
    Nuts - Almonds, 6 g(s)

Lunch

Dinner
    Nuts - Almonds, 8 g(s)
    Quick Tools

Snacks

Totals 1,115
    Remaining 139

I also ran an 90 day Report on your diary and all your Iron, Potassium, Calcium, vitamins etc etc etc are all dangerously low on a consistent basis.

Leena, I am very short and 52 years old (I am amused you referred to me as young) and have hypothyroidism. I need to run at an extra deficit to lose weight. 2 ounces is the recommended serving size for pasta. Hint: it's measured dry, before cooking.

Editing to add that as for my illnesses? Do some research on how some people have an autoimmune response to pregnancy. Educate yourself.

Editing to add one more thing regarding all the water. I have chronic dry mouth and throat due to a medication I'm taking.

I know you don't need validation, but I eat 2 oz of pasta all the time. Mixed with veggies, it seems like a lot. There is nothing wrong with 2 oz and vegetables being a main meal for the day.

It makes a nice big bowlful. I always eat a very large amount of veggies at my main meal. I ate an almost embarrassing amount of broccoli today. On days where I want just a plain pasta meal, I have one of those vegetable spiralizers. I saute spiralized zucchini in a little cooking spray with some garlic powder and then mix it in with the pasta and toss it with the pasta sauce. Instantly doubles or triples the volume. Really great for those hungry days.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I eat 1200 before my dessert usually and hit all my macros in the first 1200. If I wanted or needed to do 1200 I'd make my dessert a small piece of chocolate and berries and fix up a few other things throughout the day.

@arditarose‌ can I ask how many grams of protein you aim for everyday? Protein is the one thing I struggle getting enough of on low calories.

• janejellyroll
    Options

Breakfast
    Nuts - Almonds, 6 g(s)

Lunch

Dinner
    Nuts - Almonds, 8 g(s)
    Quick Tools

Snacks

Totals 1,115
    Remaining 139

It makes a nice big bowlful. I always eat a very large amount of veggies at my main meal. I ate an almost embarrassing amount of broccoli today. On days where I want just a plain pasta meal, I have one of those vegetable spiralizers. I saute spiralized zucchini in a little cooking spray with some garlic powder and then mix it in with the pasta and toss it with the pasta sauce. Instantly doubles or triples the volume. Really great for those hungry days.

I keep meaning to get one of those spiralizers, I know I would love it. Which brand do you have?
  • arditarose
    Options

@arditarose‌ can I ask how many grams of protein you aim for everyday? Protein is the one thing I struggle getting enough of on low calories.

My minimum is 110, but I can get up to 140 grams in 1200 calories. Quest bars, cottage cheese, meat for lunch, meat for dinner.
  • Christine_72
    Options

My minimum is 110, but I can get up to 140 grams in 1200 calories. Quest bars, cottage cheese, meat for lunch, meat for dinner.

Thanks. Mine is 122g, I'm happy if I get over 100g

• arditarose
    Options

Yeah, I think you weigh less than me. 100-122 seems good.
  • Christine_72
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yeah, I think you weigh less than me. 100-122 seems good.

I'm 140lbs 5"8

• chrissyfitter
    chrissyfitter Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It is really hard but I do lots of egg whites and tomatoes and apples and bananas. I go over sometimes but that's because I don't log all my excersize I only count about half of exercize
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Breakfast
    Nuts - Almonds, 6 g(s)

Lunch

Dinner
    Nuts - Almonds, 8 g(s)
    Quick Tools

Snacks

Totals 1,115
    Remaining 139

I keep meaning to get one of those spiralizers, I know I would love it. Which brand do you have?

I have the Vegetti.

• janejellyroll
    Options

Breakfast
    Nuts - Almonds, 6 g(s)

Lunch

Dinner
    Nuts - Almonds, 8 g(s)
    Quick Tools

Snacks

Totals 1,115
    Remaining 139

I have the Vegetti.

Thank you!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I ate roughly 1200 calories for well over 1 year. A nutritious diet was always my primary concern. I didn’t intentionally “give up” anything – it is just a fact that things like pizza, alcohol, ice cream etc. could not be part of a “long-term” 1200 calorie plan. I haven’t had fast-food or a processed cold-cut since 2013 (don’t miss either).

I did have pizza twice in 2014. I factored a small (6 oz) piece of fried fish 1-2 times a month into calories. I had frozen yogurt instead of ice cream. Extra calories were allotted at Thanksgiving / Christmas (but that meant still under control). None of this was “cheating.” All of this was planned.

More than one doctor suggested I have surgery, because my super obesity far outweighed (LOL) any surgical risk. I decided not to take that route. For years, I have been under the care of more than one physician and have received regular blood work / monitoring for heart, arthritis etc. – so they were aware of what I was doing diet-wise.

I had almost 200 pounds to lose and “chose” to eat only foods that added vitamins, fiber etc. and those that left me with a full feeling (Broccoli, spaghetti squash etc.) and were extremely low in calories. I was never hungry and I am still not hungry. A balanced diet was imperative. Yes, I sometimes “want” a sweet etc. but I am not truly hungry.

MFP helped me internalize an instinctive awareness of the calories I consume. It is NOT hard or anything I obsess about. I’m in maintenance now and adjusting calories carefully. Most days, I still eat in the 1200-1300 range but have not been dropping pounds like before, because of the regular strength exercising I have been doing.

My entire lifestyle has permanently been changed. I will NEVER re-gain all that weight. I could begin to list all the benefits I have reaped.

Having said all that – everyone is different and I make no judgements about anyone. I hope anyone struggling with obesity succeeds in losing weight.

73641431.png