Whole Milk vs Skim

Options
Hi all.
There has recently been a shift in the way dairy fat is viewed, and naturally there is conflicting research about WHICH Is healthier. (http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/skim-milk-vs-milk-which-is-the-healthier-choice.html)

I was raised on 2%, and my family gradually worked down to skim.
Now as an adult, I buy skim but long for 2% - but we don't do that much dairy.
I've been putting whole milk in my coffee lately... I was wondering how those of you out in MFP land do your dairy?

Who avoids it all together? Who swears by Whole milk? Who can only drink skim? Any exclusive almond milk drinkers?

Replies

• Eliz_99
    Eliz_99 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use semi-skimmed, skimmed milk tastes like water to me. Whole milk is too creamy and doesn't taste right in tea!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    2%!! ALWAYS!! EVERYDAY!! :happy:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I drink 2% or whole. I prefer the taste. I get non-homogenized milk because I'm lactose intolerant but can drink it without needing to take a lactose pill. The cream rises to the top. Yum :)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Raw milk here. Slightly higher fat content than whole milk and freaking delicious!

Raw milk yogurt is the most amazing thing in the world!

Skim milk tastes like eating cardboard.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    2%!! ALWAYS!! EVERYDAY!! :happy:

^^This. 2% for life, baby ;) Skim is nasty tasting (to me), and whole milk is too thick for my preference.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    1%....grew up on non fat so 1% feels like a splurge. Can't do whole milk personally but do enjoy the treat of 2% occasionally!
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I don't tolerate drinking milk, but enjoy moderate fat milk products (yogurt, cottage cheese).
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    Options
    Hi all.
    There has recently been a shift in the way dairy fat is viewed, and naturally there is conflicting research about WHICH Is healthier. (http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/skim-milk-vs-milk-which-is-the-healthier-choice.html)

I was raised on 2%, and my family gradually worked down to skim.
    Now as an adult, I buy skim but long for 2% - but we don't do that much dairy.
    I've been putting whole milk in my coffee lately... I was wondering how those of you out in MFP land do your dairy?

Who avoids it all together? Who swears by Whole milk? Who can only drink skim? Any exclusive almond milk drinkers?

We drink 2% milk at our house, have heavy whipping cream for coffee, full fat cheese and sour cream, 2% yogurt.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I enjoy 18% cream in my coffee and tea. We don't keep milk in the house because none of us like it. If I need milk for a recipe I just use a splash of cream and fill the rest of the measuring cup with water.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what 2% and semi and all that is, must be an American thing?? Our choices are skim or whole fat.
    I drink low fat milk, because I drink a lot of milky cups of tea everyday. I much much prefer full fat milk, but it would give me too many calories. I refuse to give up drinking tea, so I have to compromise and drink low fat
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    we use 1% around here, after using skim for almost a year. tastes really fatty and creamy to me now.
  • goblue8426
    goblue8426 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've always been a huge milk drinker. Grew up on 2% and weaned myself down to skim as an adult (also down in volume - used to drink a gallon a week by myself, now I drink about 1/2-3/4 of a HALF gallon per week). I'm considering switching back up to 2% though. It tastes better and when they cut the fat, a lot of nutrients are cut as well.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    We buy whole milk. I don't drink it very often. I use it on cereal or in cooking. Mainly we get milk for dd.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have consciously moved towards whole milk, after using fat-free half&half for many years. Having some fat in your diet is necessary to achieve satiety. Now I don't eat/drink any low-fat or non-fat items.

Coffee with whole milk is like a dessert for me. If it fits your calorie budget for the day, it is a great food to have.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    1% and 2% taste the best to me. I do use 18% cream in my coffee now (measured out!). However day-to-day, I drink organic non-fat milk. I swear it tastes better than regular, almost sweeter. I have read for an anti-inflammatory diet, it is best to only consume dairy 1% or less. I try to follow that (except for the cream) since I drink at least a cup of milk per day.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    We have had skim for as long as I can remember. However, a couple of years ago I switched to almond milk. Now I only drink dairy milk when I really crave it.

As for other dairy, I go with low-fat/light, but am not against full fat, depending on what it is. I prefer to get my fats from other sources (avocado, nuts).

I prefer low-fat yogurt.
  • kutedaisy
    kutedaisy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    interesting article, I do think I feel fuller after a glass of 2% but don't like the film taste on tongue.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    When you guys say you add "cream" to your coffee, do you mean cream, cream ? Like the stuff you whip and put on top of a cake etc etc?
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what 2% and semi and all that is, must be an American thing?? Our choices are skim or whole fat.
    I drink low fat milk, because I drink a lot of milky cups of tea everyday. I much much prefer full fat milk, but it would give me too many calories. I refuse to give up drinking tea, so I have to compromise and drink low fat

For us Aussies, its the full cream, low fat (2%), no fat (skim) milk.

Generally the only way I have milk is in coffee. I don't have a lot of milk in my coffee, but I drink enough of them over a week that the full cream milk Calories add up, so I've switched to low fat. Will probably go back to full cream when I hit maintenance.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I use either skim, 2% or whole. I can drink any of them...whole is a little richer obviously, but there really isn't a dramatic difference in taste to me. I don't use milk often, so lately if I buy it I tend to go with whole. But it is somewhat arbitrary.