Whole Milk vs Skim

Options

Replies

• psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    When you guys say you add "cream" to your coffee, do you mean cream, cream ? Like the stuff you whip and put on top of a cake etc etc?

So I mean the kind of cream that's in the dairy section, I think it's called "light cream." I don't think it's whipping cream. It's 60 cal and 5g of fat per 30 mL. It is sooo good and doesn't take a lot to make coffee good.

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I prefer lite milk. Or 2% or what ever

Full cream tastes off and skim milk look, smells and taste wierd.
  • Katgan
    Katgan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't eat or drink anything that is low fat since it's more processed. I didn't read article you linked, but I am aware of the studies that indicate that low fat milk is worse for your health. If you are just worried about calories, I guess you should go with the lowest fat, but if you are concerned about overall health, go with whole milk.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Raw milk here. Slightly higher fat content than whole milk and freaking delicious!

Raw milk yogurt is the most amazing thing in the world!

Skim milk tastes like eating cardboard.

All of this. I never cared for milk, even as a little kid. Then I moved here and tasted whole raw milk... OMG YUM! If I *HAVE* to drink regular store bought I get whole or even half and half. As long as it fits in my macros, i'm OK glugging the good stuff!

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Both are gross to me. :p I grew up on 2% or 1% and that was good. Whole milk is too thick and skim milk is like water. yuck.

I use almond milk. It's easier on my stomach, doesn't set off my allergies (congestion, etc.), it has 50% more calcium than dairy milk, and the unsweetened kind has zero grams of sugar. Since I can't drink milk, it's how I get most of my calcium in.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    psmd wrote: »
    When you guys say you add "cream" to your coffee, do you mean cream, cream ? Like the stuff you whip and put on top of a cake etc etc?

So I mean the kind of cream that's in the dairy section, I think it's called "light cream." I don't think it's whipping cream. It's 60 cal and 5g of fat per 30 mL. It is sooo good and doesn't take a lot to make coffee good.

Yeah that's normal cream then. The calories and fat are the same as the carton of cream in my fridge . I've honestly never known anyone who puts that in their coffee. It sounds nice though :smile:

• ivoluntas
    ivoluntas Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Skim milk. Or as my boyfriend calls it "water with milk." I used to drink whole but it's been years. Now I can't drink anything but Skim. I also enjoy almond or soy but don't drink regularly. I love milk and don't plan on giving it up anytime soon.
  • rahnia
    rahnia Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    To the Aussies, Pura Light Start is 1% milk...yellow packaging. Use it heaps. Not as good as 2% but WAY better than skim milk, IMO!
  • shaddowstorm
    shaddowstorm Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Yeah that's normal cream then. The calories and fat are the same as the carton of cream in my fridge . I've honestly never known anyone who puts that in their coffee. It sounds nice though :smile:

I'm in Aus too. All I want to do is try cream in my coffee now but does that mean I add the cream when I put my almond milk in.

When I make my coffee I put coffee and a sweetener in then my almond milk then the water. Where should I add the cream ? lol

• liteskindsista
    liteskindsista Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi ZGF,
    I have grown used to unsweetened vanilla almond milk (was exclusively a skim milk drinker before ). I use it the almond milk in coffee and on cereal, but I don't drink it straight. It's good in foods and coffee....really can't tell the difference any more. Cutting out most dairy and sugar has really helped me lose pounds!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm in Aus too. All I want to do is try cream in my coffee now but does that mean I add the cream when I put my almond milk in.

When I make my coffee I put coffee and a sweetener in then my almond milk then the water. Where should I add the cream ? lol

I would think you'd add the cream after the water.

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Grew up on 2%, bought whole for the kiddo when she was little, but switched back to 2% as she got older. Recently she demanded to know why we drink 2% - she'd had whole milk again at my mom's house and wanted to switch to that! So I did, no good reason not to.

I mostly put it on my occasional bed time snack of cereal, or use it in cooking, but she drinks it daily.

For coffee or tea, I usually add half & half, and for sauces and some soups, I use the heavy cream (the kind you can whip), and I always lick the spoon or bowl, because cream is freakin' amazing. :smile:

Cheese, sour cream and cottage cheese at my house is always full fat, and my Greek yogurt WOULD be as well, but for some reason the 2% has 24g of protein per cup, and the full fat only has 9g. :confused:
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Katgan wrote: »
    I don't eat or drink anything that is low fat since it's more processed. I didn't read article you linked, but I am aware of the studies that indicate that low fat milk is worse for your health. If you are just worried about calories, I guess you should go with the lowest fat, but if you are concerned about overall health, go with whole milk.

Sadly, full cream milk is actually more processed than skim milk now. The amount of fat in full cream milk should depend on where the cows come from, the season, and the type of cow, but it doesn't. All milk we drink (unless it's raw or unhomogenized) is turned into skim, then the appropriate amounts of cream are added back in to make the milk have a standard milk fat ratio in every bottle. So skim has just had the milk fats taken out of it. Full cream has had all the fats taken out of it, then had the appropriate amount put back in.

That's how it is in Australia at least. Maybe it's different elsewhere *shrug*
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what 2% and semi and all that is, must be an American thing?? Our choices are skim or whole fat.
    Here you can find the terminology:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_content_of_milk
    I think that if you check the nutritional label you should find out the exact percentage of fat content of those choices.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Sadly, full cream milk is actually more processed than skim milk now.

I see, so I suppose that's why local farmers' and organic produce taste much better...

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I switched to whole milk based on life experiences, some research studies, and an article that scared me about slim milk (which i had drank since middle school).
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My mom grew up on a dairy farm, so we've always used whole milk. Now a days, I prefer almond milk. Skim milk is basically gross water to me. I can't stand the taste/texture. As for products containing milk, I use all kinds, but I usually go for full fat products.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk. Dairy makes me break out but I do love milk. All kinds are good to me. Even skim.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Whole milk becayse its way nicer to me. Its one of my no comrpomises. Unless you are drinking gallons , then really its not a big deal. Its also been shown to be more advantageous in weight loss not just for the fat content but also the satiety factor.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Our family drinks whole milk from the local dairy. I grew up with 2% from the same dairy.

My SO prefers whole and I would rather my toddler drink whole, as well. I don't drink cows milk anymore because it has too many carbs for me to handle. I will occasionally have almond, coconut, or cashew milk but it's not a regular thing. I use heavy cream in my coffee.