How do you do 1200 Calories?

Options

Replies

• goblue8426
    goblue8426 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As everyone else said, filling foods high with protein, lots of veggies/greens, and frequent snacks (for me, anyway). Also, exercise so I can eat even a little bit more! I eat at 1340 right now, and even had room today for a 240 calorie dessert, without exercise calories! Pretty proud of that one :)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,515 Member
    Options
    Mitzimum wrote: »
    honestly, I really don't think 1200 calorie diets work. This is from my own experience of course, basically you should work out how many calories you need to eat to lose weight based on your height, weightloss goal, age and a few other factors. I found I actually hold onto weight if I eat less than 1600 a day and can't lose weight at all. I highly recommend working out your calories using a calculator such as this http://www.losebabyweight.com.au/weight-loss/body-mass-index/
    it could make your life a whole lot more enjoyable and successful

I've lost 142+ lbs in just under 11 months eating on average 1200ish cals. It works just fine and I don't suffer from hangry, lack of energy or what have you. I still have nearly 80lbs to lose and will likely continue to ride the 1200-1300 train as far as it will take me, until I reverse diet out to maintenance.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned ice cream above. If I want a decent size bowl of ice cream after dinner I have to practically starve all day to fit it into my calories. Which is why I know I couldn't sustain 1300ish calories everyday forever. As it is it's driving me mad trying to get rid of this last 8lbs which seems to be taking forever.
    Sorry about the whinge lol it's just starting to get to me lately :angry:
  • opalwashere
    Options
    I usually eat cereal & skim or almond milk for breakfast; fruit, usually a banana, or combos for a snack; a sandwich on whole wheat bread & vegetables for lunch; & then a small to moderate sized supper of whatever I want and stay under 1200 calories. I drink a lot of water, it's about the only thing I drink.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    jvt63 wrote: »
    I don't lift weights, so I find 1200 calories (lower carbs, higher protein and fat, lots of berries and nonstarchy veggies) filling and satisfying. When I lifted, I couldn't control my appetite, which is why I'm not lifting weights. (I think lifting is great, and I'd do it if I knew I wouldn't overeat.)

Truth. I did 55 minutes of lifting tonight and came home where I ate two hard boiled eggs like an anaconda. I slowed down for the rest of my post workout meal but I barely tasted the eggs.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    jvt63 wrote: »
    I don't lift weights, so I find 1200 calories (lower carbs, higher protein and fat, lots of berries and nonstarchy veggies) filling and satisfying. When I lifted, I couldn't control my appetite, which is why I'm not lifting weights. (I think lifting is great, and I'd do it if I knew I wouldn't overeat.)

Truth. I did 55 minutes of lifting tonight and came home where I ate two hard boiled eggs like an anaconda. I slowed down for the rest of my post workout meal but I barely tasted the eggs.

:laugh: :laugh: :+1:

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I definitely could not do 1200 calories. I eat about 2000 a day (still loosing weight) but I definitely feel a drag in my workout compared to when I wasn't on a calorie deficit.
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Nikonpal: You took such responsibility for yourself and did a fantastic job. You should be very proud. :)
    Someone mentioned ice cream above. If I want a decent size bowl of ice cream after dinner I have to practically starve all day to fit it into my calories. Which is why I know I couldn't sustain 1300ish calories everyday forever. As it is it's driving me mad trying to get rid of this last 8lbs which seems to be taking forever.
    If you're wanting more than just a 1/4 cup(average) serving of ice cream, try Arctic Zero brand. I haven't tried it yet myself, but my brother-in-law has raved about them before. You can eat the entire pint of ice cream and it's only between 150-300 calories!

Also, keeping busy leaves room for treats. I just ate some cream filled chocolates, and still have some calories to fill in before bed. I have class for 3-4 hours 3 days a week, so that leaves me with a good chunk of calories for when I get home. I'm slowly polishing off all the "bad" stuff I've had since restarting MFP.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    NikonPal wrote: »
    I ate roughly 1200 calories for well over 1 year. A nutritious diet was always my primary concern. I didn’t intentionally “give up” anything – it is just a fact that things like pizza, alcohol, ice cream etc. could not be part of a “long-term” 1200 calorie plan. I haven’t had fast-food or a processed cold-cut since 2013 (don’t miss either).

I did have pizza twice in 2014. I factored a small (6 oz) piece of fried fish 1-2 times a month into calories. I had frozen yogurt instead of ice cream. Extra calories were allotted at Thanksgiving / Christmas (but that meant still under control). None of this was “cheating.” All of this was planned.

More than one doctor suggested I have surgery, because my super obesity far outweighed (LOL) any surgical risk. I decided not to take that route. For years, I have been under the care of more than one physician and have received regular blood work / monitoring for heart, arthritis etc. – so they were aware of what I was doing diet-wise.

I had almost 200 pounds to lose and “chose” to eat only foods that added vitamins, fiber etc. and those that left me with a full feeling (Broccoli, spaghetti squash etc.) and were extremely low in calories. I was never hungry and I am still not hungry. A balanced diet was imperative. Yes, I sometimes “want” a sweet etc. but I am not truly hungry.

MFP helped me internalize an instinctive awareness of the calories I consume. It is NOT hard or anything I obsess about. I’m in maintenance now and adjusting calories carefully. Most days, I still eat in the 1200-1300 range but have not been dropping pounds like before, because of the regular strength exercising I have been doing.

My entire lifestyle has permanently been changed. I will NEVER re-gain all that weight. I could begin to list all the benefits I have reaped.

Having said all that – everyone is different and I make no judgements about anyone. I hope anyone struggling with obesity succeeds in losing weight.

73641431.png

What an amazing post and such an amazing achievement. You deserve your success after all the work you have put into it. You are to be congratulated. I wish you well for your future and will be looking out for your advice in the future. :)
  • lilbea89
    lilbea89 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I strive to be as veg\vegan as possible. I was at 1200 calories a day for a while (im at 1300 a day now) and after the first couple weeks I didn't feel as hungry. I upped my water intake and stopped drinking juice or pop all day. I also do 2 or 3 snacks a day of veggies\fruit or hummus so I don't get hungr between meals.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Decent size is relative. Ice cream has always been a major love of mine. I could sit down with the carton and a spoon and go to town. Switching to gelato, which has a greater depth of flavor helps. Another thing that helped me in the long term was giving everything up for a long time, it was part of what helped ME on my path to moderation. I can truly be satisfied with even the smallest portion now.

With ice cream, if you eat it slowly (this is true for anything), and appreciate the flavor, even a tiny portion can be satisfying. I've had as little as 2 tablespoons and been satisfied. 50 calories!

• Christine_72
    Options
    True true :) A decent size would probably be 500g at the least ;)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Or this. Ten scoops, 1.9kg. I used to live near the town where these infamous beasts are made, and drive through it every day on the way to and from work. Had I known about it, I very possibly would have given it a go!

8145928.jpg
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

The thing with ice cream... doesn't your mouth get cold and numb your taste buds after a while?

• rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options

The thing with ice cream... doesn't your mouth get cold and numb your taste buds after a while?

Unfortunately that never stopped me. :P (Talenti is the bomb, though!)
  • Pretty_Little_Nobody
    Pretty_Little_Nobody Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I always end up going over, unfortunately. =[ Close my diary and then the late night munchies happen
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I do a pint of artic zero ice cream almost every night which is 150 calories. Perfect low cal ice cream alternative.
  • wathjo1
    wathjo1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Don't drink your calories. Have your salad dressing on the side and dip your fork in it instead of pouring the dressing on the salad. Eat tons of fruits and veggies, especially leafy greens. Those are the tips that have helped me!!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    NikonPal wrote: »
    I ate roughly 1200 calories for well over 1 year. A nutritious diet was always my primary concern. I didn’t intentionally “give up” anything – it is just a fact that things like pizza, alcohol, ice cream etc. could not be part of a “long-term” 1200 calorie plan. I haven’t had fast-food or a processed cold-cut since 2013 (don’t miss either).

I did have pizza twice in 2014. I factored a small (6 oz) piece of fried fish 1-2 times a month into calories. I had frozen yogurt instead of ice cream. Extra calories were allotted at Thanksgiving / Christmas (but that meant still under control). None of this was “cheating.” All of this was planned.

More than one doctor suggested I have surgery, because my super obesity far outweighed (LOL) any surgical risk. I decided not to take that route. For years, I have been under the care of more than one physician and have received regular blood work / monitoring for heart, arthritis etc. – so they were aware of what I was doing diet-wise.

I had almost 200 pounds to lose and “chose” to eat only foods that added vitamins, fiber etc. and those that left me with a full feeling (Broccoli, spaghetti squash etc.) and were extremely low in calories. I was never hungry and I am still not hungry. A balanced diet was imperative. Yes, I sometimes “want” a sweet etc. but I am not truly hungry.

MFP helped me internalize an instinctive awareness of the calories I consume. It is NOT hard or anything I obsess about. I’m in maintenance now and adjusting calories carefully. Most days, I still eat in the 1200-1300 range but have not been dropping pounds like before, because of the regular strength exercising I have been doing.

My entire lifestyle has permanently been changed. I will NEVER re-gain all that weight. I could begin to list all the benefits I have reaped.

Having said all that – everyone is different and I make no judgements about anyone. I hope anyone struggling with obesity succeeds in losing weight.

73641431.png

What an amazing post and such an amazing achievement. You deserve your success after all the work you have put into it. You are to be congratulated. I wish you well for your future and will be looking out for your advice in the future. :)

Agreed! Thank you for sharing your story. Personal accountability and responsibility resulting in huge success. What a breath of fresh air!
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do 1500 and it's really not too bad. Most of the hunger pains faded after the first week or so. Now I barely get hungry and my cravings have greatly subsided.