gym = embarrasing

Options

Replies

• RalfyJ90
    RalfyJ90 Posts: 17
    Options
    Just remember everybody that's there is working on their body. Everybody has their own goals. Don't pay attention to anybody around just focus on your goal. Patience and confidence.
  • sweetd6
    sweetd6 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Maybe my gym is unusual, but I see all types and sorts of people there, from very old to very young, very fit to way out of shape. It could be because I work part time and go when most people are at work, so lots of retired folks are there when I go. When I see someone out of shape (sometimes heavy sometimes not, you can be out of shape and slim) I think "good for them, awesome, they will feel so much better soon". I've been an active gym goer for more than 20 years and it sure has helped my health and the way I feel, my prime motivation.
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like that at my gym, now I just think 'I'm making one hell of an effort, just like everyone else here. Right now, we're equal people.'
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’ve been very fit, and very unfit. I do feel different walking into the gym depending on my current state. But walking in, I see fit and unfit people. I am inspired by both! I don’t compare myself to any of them, I just see opportunity to change.

Many of the very fit individuals in that gym were not always that way. Some very likely came from a place much lower than yours. They showed patience and perseverance and are now much healthier for it. You can do the same thing.

Over time, you see and feel the improvement in yourself. Measure yourself based on the effort you put into yourself (investment) and the improvement you see and feel (return).
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    @Brandzilla‌ I think the embarrassment comes from being out of shape and running into familiar faces. Its the whole judgement thing which I need to pass

Do you mean "familiar faces" in the sense of people you know from elsewhere? Or familiar faces in the sense of people you just recognize from seeing around the gym? Because I can tell you, people I see ONCE at the gym leave zero impression on me. Whatever. Anyone can pop in for a day and play around on the weight machines or a stationary bike.

The people I see twice, three times?

Those are cool people. Regardless of whether they're pounding out supersets on the free weights or walking a mile around the babytrack. They belong. *You* belong.
  • eeelizabeth2012
    eeelizabeth2012 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My gym is pretty small. I really like it. It has a weight room, a cardio room, and an ab room. When I go at lunchtime I am sometimes the only person there at that time. And only people 18-years-old+ can attend. When it is busy I do feel more self-conscious, especially when doing weights around a bunch of men. But, I just put my music on and get into my own world. Maybe switch gyms? Try other types of exercise outside of gym? Find a gym buddy? The way I look at it is everyone is there for the same reason: to get fit! And everyone is focused on what they are doing and really dont care about what you are doing.
  • Lovefastball99
    Lovefastball99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    myfatass78 wrote: »
    Yes, I have the moment when I am in a class doing aerobics or similar. I feel like I'm in the zone and getting all the moves right. THEN I LOOK IN THE MIRROR and it looks like an octopus is dying in pain. It does get a bit better.

Seriously the funniest thing I've read in a while ;)
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Try not to be embarrased :) Everyone there has issues they are self-conscious about.
  • Timson81
    Timson81 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't actually go to the gym but I believe, you shouldn't be ashamed.
    Most people are focused on their own workout and don't pay much attention to you.
    As a (now) fit person, I can tell you - seeing an overweight person working out puts a smile on my face. I feel happy for them for starting a probably long and hard journey and - if they do it right - watch and feel their body transforming, which is a wonderful experience. It's actually motivating.

There are other people who should be ashamed, like those guys who seem to go there to check out girls or chat and block the machines all day. Or those "genies-in-a-bottle" or "disco pumpers", as we call them here (I guess you know who I mean). :D

Sorry for my bad english, not a native speaker. ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    When I first started back 3 1/2 years ago, I felt embarrassed. But I sucked it up and kept going. When I've been on the injured list, and not doing anywhere near my normal, I've felt embarrassed. But these days, I walk into the gym, smell the chalk and iron and sweat and it's instant stress release. There is nowhere else I'd rather be.

this.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I know most people recommend going at off peak times to avoid others when self-conscious, but I personally think it's harder to focus on one person when there are more around (hide in the crowd thing). Plus if I have questions, there is always somebody around to ask. OF course I have to balance the peak time thing with being an introvert who doesn't really like crowds and the not being able to get the machine I want, but that's a different story.
  • jcondeee
    jcondeee Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have also felt that way at gyms but recently I joing Planet Fitness and love it. It's a "No judgement Zone"
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    SO people insecurities get in the way of one place that can better yourself. NO I don't get embarrassed even at my heaviest weight in pic 2 of photo pic.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Not so much the gym, but I used to feel self-conscious running outside. What if people see me stop?! Then I realized... 1. They don't care. They're not thinking about me. 2. If by chance they do care, that's their problem, not mine. 3. They just saw me for about 5 seconds. They don't know if I'm "quitting," or running intervals, or just ran 10 miles.

I realized I lost all sense of self-consciousness when I was doing the Zombies Run 5k Trainer and it had skipping intervals. Like "tra-la-la-la-la" skipping, not skipping rope skipping. And it felt awesome. Like being a little kid again.
  • meremaid2014
    Options
    I don't know what other people are thinking, but I know that I personally have never had any negative thoughts about another person in the gym for being "unfit". If anything, the "fit" bros that grunt loudly and drop weights and have improper form annoy me the most! I don't judge people on size and appearance - one of my fitness inspirations is a friend who may not look fit to strangers, but she teaches fitness classes and just ran a half marathon. Nobody can tell how unfit you are just by looking at you. And if they think you are unfit, they probably once were too and will be mentally applauding you for getting out there. I think what makes a lot of people feel self-conscious at the gym isn't lack of fitness, but lack of experience with the machines and lack of confidence in a routine. Try meeting with a trainer once or twice, or doing a free introduction at your gym (if yours does that) to learn how the machines work. Knowing how to exercise properly has improved my confidence!
  • Kate5283kate
    Kate5283kate Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Agreed, there's no need to be embarrassed!

One thing I do wonder, though, is if you have a choice in gyms? I used to belong to a very fancy downtown big city gym. Loved it, and I'm not one to care much what people think, but even I noticed it was populated almost entirely by very thin women in their 20s with perfect skin, nails, and matching gym outfits (down to the sneakers!) and 50-something men, well coiffed and watching the women. It was a weird vibe that could be a little uncomfortable. Post baby, I don't have time to go to the gym right after work, so I joined the local YMCA a stone's throw from my house. Way less cushy (and I miss those awesome yoga classes in the fancy yoga studio at my old gym!), but I roll in at 8:30 pm and see folks from all walks of life. It would definitely be a more comfortable experience for someone who feels uncomfortable working out.
  • tianimay123
    Options
    Anyone else feel the same way? I can't shake the feeling of embarrassment everytime I step into the gym though I know with time it will go away. But does anyone share the same feeling?
    Yes I know what you mean, I try to exercise at home to avoid the awkwardness
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'm at the gym to work out. I'm too focussed to look at you or to notice if you're looking at me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    jcondeee wrote: »
    I have also felt that way at gyms but recently I joing Planet Fitness and love it. It's a "No judgement Zone"

"no judgement to only a select few"
    Highly judgmental of many others.

Don't buy into their lies.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not even when I was new to the gym.