TO SWEAT OR NOT TO SWEAT-GYM ETIQUETTE

Options
This morning I had the unpleasant experience of working out next to a guy who was sweating all over the Stairmaster. On the steps, handles, everywhere and he did not care one bit. I wanted to go over to the desk and buy him a towel, really??? What are your personal gym etiquette rules Or things you think people should not be doing at the gym?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    In.

8BqcV.gif
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Was he sweating on you?

I at least tie my hair back so it doesn't fling sweat at other people.
  • doingItIn2012
    doingItIn2012 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree especially when I imagine the sweaty guy
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Huh? I love the stairmaster precisely for that reason. 30-45 minutes of intervals on there and the entire machine and I are soaked. The best workouts are the sweatiest. Just wipe down afterwards.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Sweating? At the freakin gym? Oh HELL no! What has this world come to when people are just running around sweating. AT THE GYM of all places. I just don't know any more. Kids these days.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Problems with other people working out and sweating. Well you know what I would say to that. Get a home gym. People are going to sweat while they workout so I see no problem with what you feel is a problem.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Were you upset because he was sweating, or because he wasn't wiping off the sweat with a towel before it hit the floor? This is an important question as my response relies dramatically on your answer.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    This morning I had the unpleasant experience of working out next to a guy who was sweating all over the Stairmaster. On the steps, handles, everywhere and he did not care one bit. I wanted to go over to the desk and buy him a towel, really??? What are your personal gym etiquette rules Or things you think people should not be doing at the gym?

Sweating? At the gym? On a Stairmaster? GetTheHellOuttaHere with that crazy talk.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    What horrible etiquette! This should be brought up to the owner of the gym!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    B)

I agree with this, use a towel and the little towelettes to keep it all in your own personal area and dry..use the towels.....and I just think overall people should be aware that there are people around you...you are not alone, you don't own the gym or any areas in it. It seems to be a touchy subject but only to people who do :"whatever the hell they want regardless of where they are or who is around" for the rest of us...its common sense.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Things people should not be doing at the gym:
    1. Eating chicken soup on the Stairmaster.
    2. Hanging their undies in the squat rack
    3. Doing their taxes on the spin bikes
    4. Drinking champagne in the locker rooms

Sweating is ok. I think.
  • doingItIn2012
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Huh? I love the stairmaster precisely for that reason. 30-45 minutes of intervals on there and the entire machine and I are soaked. The best workouts are the sweatiest. Just wipe down afterwards.

Yes I have no problem with sweating
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Wait.....wut?
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Things people should not be doing at the gym:
    1. Eating chicken soup on the Stairmaster.
    2. Hanging their undies in the squat rack
    3. Doing their taxes on the spin bikes
    4. Drinking champagne in the locker rooms

Sweating is ok. I think.

I will have you know that it was prosecco and I have reported your judgmental attitude to one of those wandering trainers

Also, if I saw someone going that hard, I would be less grossed out than impressed at their stamina
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    What is the purpose of being in the gym if you are NOT sweating? So I run on the TM and sweat drips all over it after a couple of miles.... How does one stop their workout to wipe up sweat so it doesn't hit the machine or floor? Wipe down the machine when you are done and that is that.... I fail to see the problem here.....
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »

Wait.....wut?

NO claim in OP that sweat falls on OP. NO claim that sweat is still on the equipment. Sweat on the floor its a gym and might 100% happen everyday. So OP is complaining about someone sweating.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    TIL sweating at the gym isn't ok. :\

OP - seriously? Unless he was sweating all over you or didn't clean the machine after, who the eff cares? Move to a new machine and be sweat hating over there instead.
  • sarah_hite
    sarah_hite Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's at the gym. On a StairMaster. Most people working out on a StairMaster for any appreciable amount of time are going to sweat. So long as he wipes the machine down with the disinfectant spray and towel afterwards, I don't see the problem.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Use the sanitizing wipes and wipe down the machine when you are done.
    If you don't do it, your membership will be cancelled.
    Common courtesy.
  • doingItIn2012
    Options
    Were you upset because he was sweating, or because he wasn't wiping off the sweat with a towel before it hit the floor? This is an important question as my response relies dramatically on your answer.

Sweat yes, but contain it please.
This discussion has been closed.