How Many Fitness Friends Do You Really Need???

Options

Replies

• harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's what Countrybabe75 said "It's your MFP page, make it yours. What anyone else thinks doesn't matter. " If you don't like it then don't accept the FR or leave..just don't go snitching...
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    None

We are all making our own journeys - mine is not successful because of my 'friends' and I'm pretty sure they aren't successful because I like or comment on a post in a private window

I don't get this "motivate me", I need friends

I think people need commitment

And I think if people interest, amuse or entertain you and you want them as friends in a private space to have private conversations then you should

But I do not need Whoops and PomPoms .. I just need my own commitment

You have 69 friends!!! :neutral_face:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    bandbmc wrote: »
    Does anyone else find it ironic that many people are taking the "who needs strangers as friends" belief, but yet they are carrying on a full blown panel discussion ... on a forum? with strangers?

Ironic?...considering that dicking around on the forums has nothing to do with being friends with strangers, no...I don't find it ironic at all.

original.jpg
  • ccam99
    ccam99 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to post in the Forums and have very few friends on MFP. As a few others have mentioned, I only accept FR from those I think can benefit me or I benefit them or their comments I see on the forums are interesting to me. I'm not one to post very much so chatting with people about things that aren't closely related to MFP content is not what I'm looking for. The number would not make a difference if I like what people have to say. I personally like to see what people are up to with their exercise and food choices but do tend to stick to people closer to my age or my current habits. I can't compare to a 25 year old anymore. :smile:
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    No one has said 42?

OP - it is 42.
    -
    I love a good Hitchiker's guide reference. Wanna be friends? lol
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've denied any friend requests. I'm not the most active status poster but I try to do it at least once a week. And I enjoy reading other people's posts.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I haven't denied any requests. I haven't gotten that many though. I recently went and deleted friends who hadn't been active in several months. Now I think I have around 40. I like to see their updates in my newsfeed, it makes it a little more interesting. I don't rely on them for motivation or anything though.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I accept many requests but not all, but I don't have any expectations of MFP friends, nor do I feel any obligation to do anything in particular about it.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    My grandma is my only friend on MFP. I tried a few friends from here but they treated it like Facebook and drove me nuts. "Lololol" and "OMG" and stupid imature rants.
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    bandbmc wrote: »
    Does anyone else find it ironic that many people are taking the "who needs strangers as friends" belief, but yet they are carrying on a full blown panel discussion ... on a forum? with strangers?

Ironic?...considering that dicking around on the forums has nothing to do with being friends with strangers, no...I don't find it ironic at all.

original.jpg

Ok, ok, you win. But only due to the Princess Bride reference :wink: I get your point.
  • HaleysHeartfeltJourney
    Options
    I have 7 people here, and we comment on one anothers feeds, and help keep each other motivated. We also post inspirational quotes that help ourselves and each other. We don't have friends because we need them to achieve our goals, we have friends because it makes our seperate journies a little bit easier on our minds to be able to laugh, talk, comment, and inspire one another which deep down inspires ourselves. Whether you have zero or 100, you're in this for yourself, but why not help someone else and in turn help yourself some too?
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    If you really think about it people don't need anyone to set goals and reach them.

No one.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have a couple "friends" on here that I have requested or accepted requests to. I like reading the news feed and I don't always comment I may just LIKE it. I personally don't need anyone to push me, inspire or motivate me because ultimately it is my journey so what someone else is doing doesn't affect my outcome. At the end of the day I will do what I want to do and I'm accountable only for myself. I also don't need others to comment on my statuses. If someone feels the need to like or comment awesome but if not its that's ok too, that doesnt make them BAD MFP friends. To each its own, some people need to be held by the hand and some just don't. You have to do and worry about what works for you. You simply cannot control what others do. Everyone will go thru this journey how they see fit.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    This should go well.

Never be afraid to speak your mind :)

Clearly I'm not. But thanks for giving me permission. :noway:
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    The amount of my FL changes, at the moment it's a little more than 30. I'll accept FR (except from dudes... sorry guys!! :blush: ) but if those people don't interact with me, they get kicked off, especially when I do like to give a comment here and there to those on my FL, and I would like the same back. But even so... I know my friends don't need to be babied about their weight loss, as neither do I. We each decide what the hell each of us wants to do for our own goals. Simple as that. :flowerforyou:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You are all so right! Who needs friends? For all of you who thought I was looking for a "True Companion", "Buddy-Buddy", you missed the boat! But that's alright, having you in my boat makes it just a little to hard to row. I know this will get a lot of negative feedback because that is what so many of you are good at doing. So, I will laugh it off and continue on my journey, alone, without any friends. Boo-hoo. Not likely, I will continue to move ahead with those who choose to care about my journey as they have the same struggle. I will try to inspire them to succeed and hopefully they will do the same for me.
    For those of you who asked "why do I care?"? I care because I understand the difficulty of trying to lose weight and the feeling that it will never happen or take forever to happen. I care about people in general, how they feel, I want everyone to be successful at what they are trying to achieve.
    So, for those who want to go it alone, go ahead, walk by yourself, I'm happy for you.

I get far more out of my real world friends than I do randos on the internet...I simply do not understand how some rando people you've never actually met can have any influence on you or your journey whatsoever...I just don't get that at all.

You know what's super awesome? When you meet these "randos" in "real life" and they are no longer "people you've never actually met".
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    You are all so right! Who needs friends? For all of you who thought I was looking for a "True Companion", "Buddy-Buddy", you missed the boat! But that's alright, having you in my boat makes it just a little to hard to row. I know this will get a lot of negative feedback because that is what so many of you are good at doing. So, I will laugh it off and continue on my journey, alone, without any friends. Boo-hoo. Not likely, I will continue to move ahead with those who choose to care about my journey as they have the same struggle. I will try to inspire them to succeed and hopefully they will do the same for me.
    For those of you who asked "why do I care?"? I care because I understand the difficulty of trying to lose weight and the feeling that it will never happen or take forever to happen. I care about people in general, how they feel, I want everyone to be successful at what they are trying to achieve.
    So, for those who want to go it alone, go ahead, walk by yourself, I'm happy for you.

I get far more out of my real world friends than I do randos on the internet...I simply do not understand how some rando people you've never actually met can have any influence on you or your journey whatsoever...I just don't get that at all.

You know what's super awesome? When you meet these "randos" in "real life" and they are no longer "people you've never actually met".

Meeting people in real life that you met on the internet - that plan will get you murdered in your sleep!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

Meeting people in real life that you met on the internet - that plan will get you murdered in your sleep!

I didn't die!! I'm still alive!!

Or am I typing this from the beyond?! OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!!

:laugh:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

I didn't die!! I'm still alive!!

Or am I typing this from the beyond?! OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!!

:laugh:

I fell in love, we eventually met in person, and I finally learned what incredible sex was like.
    TMI... sorry
    But yeah... so not sorry