Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I think I'm in a calorie deficit, how do I know!?

Easiest way is to track your calories accurately for 4-6 weeks and see if you lose weight or are the same weight (or if you weigh more). Calculators estimate your calorie needs, so it boils down to what your body does at a particular calorie level. If you've set MFP to maintain, you are likely not in a deficit (although some people find the maintenance setting too low, so you might be in a slight deficit). If you've set it to lose, then you are likely in a deficit.

I've set it to maintenance (1800 cals a day) but I haven't met that yet, more like 1600.

You are in a deficit. especially when you count the days you fail to eat back your exercise calories, as on those days your maintenance is higher and you are creating a larger deficit.

Ok thanks - glad I'm in a deficit

I'm confused, you said on the first page that you are in maintenance, that you don't want to lose more weight, just 'lose fat and tone', but here you're excited to be in a deficit. Which is it?

If I was feeling lethargic, I would look to make sure I was eating enough, and getting enough sleep.

This. I feel like we're going around in circles. Especially since you had other threads where it was suggested you should focus on improving your body composition by focusing on progressive resistance training and eating at maintenance. At your current intake, you will likely lose half a pound to a pound a week, which you said you did not want to do. Eat more.

I think we need a re-set button ...

and I thought in the other thread that OP said she was going to do a recomp and eat 1800 net calories a day ...???????????????????
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Easiest way is to track your calories accurately for 4-6 weeks and see if you lose weight or are the same weight (or if you weigh more). Calculators estimate your calorie needs, so it boils down to what your body does at a particular calorie level. If you've set MFP to maintain, you are likely not in a deficit (although some people find the maintenance setting too low, so you might be in a slight deficit). If you've set it to lose, then you are likely in a deficit.

I've set it to maintenance (1800 cals a day) but I haven't met that yet, more like 1600.

You are in a deficit. especially when you count the days you fail to eat back your exercise calories, as on those days your maintenance is higher and you are creating a larger deficit.

I'm confused, you said on the first page that you are in maintenance, that you don't want to lose more weight, just 'lose fat and tone', but here you're excited to be in a deficit. Which is it?

If I was feeling lethargic, I would look to make sure I was eating enough, and getting enough sleep.

This. I feel like we're going around in circles. Especially since you had other threads where it was suggested you should focus on improving your body composition by focusing on progressive resistance training and eating at maintenance. At your current intake, you will likely lose half a pound to a pound a week, which you said you did not want to do. Eat more.

I am aiming for maintenance, but won't be gutted if I lose another 1 or 2 lbs. So being in a small deficit is not of concern to me.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I am aiming for maintenance, but won't be gutted if I lose another 1 or 2 lbs. So being in a small deficit is not of concern to me.

That's fine, but your deficit really isn't really that low. I'd at least try to hit your 1800 every day. If your energy levels are still low, add in more (like eating back your exercise calories).
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

That's fine, but your deficit really isn't really that low. I'd at least try to hit your 1800 every day. If your energy levels are still low, add in more (like eating back your exercise calories).

Trust me I'd rather eat more, but then I feel like I'm pigging out! There's a fair bit in my diary already. Need to up my portions I think.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    Just bought some protein - going to have that with milk to get protein and cals up - should help a bit.
  • ndj1979
    Options

if the profile picture on the right is you now, then I don't think you need to lose another pound...but that is just me....

I have some ladies on my friends list that lift heavy and eat and they look AMAZING....
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

if the profile picture on the right is you now, then I don't think you need to lose another pound...but that is just me....

I have some ladies on my friends list that lift heavy and eat and they look AMAZING....

I'm taking the lifting easy at the mo but plan to increase it week by week, it's quite fun actually.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

agree, this thread has massively confused me..

can't tell if OP is trying to lose, maintain, etc...
    Yup. I had to read this thread twice and I am still confused

What is confusing? I just explained it
  • auddii
    Options

Trust me I'd rather eat more, but then I feel like I'm pigging out! There's a fair bit in my diary already. Need to up my portions I think.

That's a mental issue that's pretty common with people who have been losing weight for a while. It's hard to up your calories. I just upped mine a lot so that I'm in a small deficit. It's very difficult to not see as much steady progress on the scale (small weight loss is often masked by scale fluctuations), and coping has been very difficult. Be aware that you aren't "pigging out" and try and understand what your increased portions mean in relation to your energy levels and your goals.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

That's a mental issue that's pretty common with people who have been losing weight for a while. It's hard to up your calories. I just upped mine a lot so that I'm in a small deficit. It's very difficult to not see as much steady progress on the scale (small weight loss is often masked by scale fluctuations), and coping has been very difficult. Be aware that you aren't "pigging out" and try and understand what your increased portions mean in relation to your energy levels and your goals.

Thanks - how many cals do you eat a day?
  • auddii
    Options

I eat about 2300 calories a day although that includes saving up for eating extra on Saturdays (my goal is 2500 calories daily). But, I still have a fair amount of weight to lose and and I do a LOT of steady state cardio. I upped my calories to a small deficit as a way to try and prevent binges.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

I eat about 2300 calories a day although that includes saving up for eating extra on Saturdays (my goal is 2500 calories daily). But, I still have a fair amount of weight to lose and and I do a LOT of steady state cardio. I upped my calories to a small deficit as a way to try and prevent binges.

Ah ok - well congrats on the loss so far!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

^This is very true. It's hard but if your brain is telling you that you are "pigging out" you need to work towards changing that mentality. More food + lifting = awesome results.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

^This is very true. It's hard but if your brain is telling you that you are "pigging out" you need to work towards changing that mentality. More food + lifting = awesome results.

Thanks :) I'll work on improving my mind set towards that. It's tricky, for me, to find a balance between over eating and under eating!
  • ndj1979
    Options

OP - listen to sardelsa, she is one of the people that I was referring to ....
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

OP - listen to sardelsa, she is one of the people that I was referring to ....

Just browsing at her diary... yum!
  • maemaemma
    Options
    Cottage cheese is the best high protein!
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Nut butters - healthy fats and calorie dense!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I agree, and you're not alone ...I hit maintenance in February and am still struggling to achieve the right calories...I am trying currently to decrease the size of my defecit over the week from 1500 to 1000 then to 500 then hopefully hit TDEE

It's a huge mental switch to make your goal maintenance

You can do it! But I think you should drop the reduction in carbs / sugar focus and try to focus instead on a wide diet and achieving your protein and fat minimums

Food luck