Yep, male chauvanism still exists

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
edited March 2015 in Chit-Chat
So last night in between clients, one of the guys I play fantasy football with, brought in a guest. I was razzing him about me winning the championship and he shot back "well if I had your time at home and was a stay at home dad, I'd probably have all the updated info to beat you!"
And that's when the guest interjected. "You're a stay at home dad? So you do all the work a woman is supposed to do at home? I don't think that I could handle doing that."
I replied, " It's actually not that difficult if you have a system in place."
He stated "Yeah, but I wouldn't feel as much of man if I wasn't the one bringing home the bacon."

Now personally, I could give a crap about how he may have viewed me as a "man". But I gotta figure that his SO isn't probably getting a fair shake at home. The reply of "that's what a woman is supposed to do", just made me realize that even in the very liberal area I live in, male chauvinism still exists with some.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• cnadiger
    cnadiger Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yikes! That would not fly in my house. Not only am I the main breadwinner, my BF does most of the cleaning and taking care of the kids since I travel so much for work. SMH\
  • aam117
    aam117 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I got divorced for a reason. Just sayin'.
  • beckyml1980
    beckyml1980 Posts: 126 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My husband and I work opposite shifts. I work 6am to 2:30 pm, he works 3pm to 12:20 am. He is a stay at home dad during the day and I take my turn in the evening. I think it's great that dads want to be so involved with their kids! Any idiot can be a dad, but it takes a real man to be a father! Good on you!
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    Was this a post about chauvinism or a hidden brag post about winning your fantasy football championship?
  • beckyml1980
    Options
    530roman wrote: »
    Was this a post about chauvinism or a hidden brag post about winning your fantasy football championship?

Haha! this made me LOL very loudly at my desk
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. That guy is a choad. His partner must be miserable.

I'm the main breadwinner myself; I work more hours for pay. Hubby and I split up the chores. We do not have kids. I occasionally ask him to take on more things when I'm on a tight deadline and just don't have enough hours to do my usual chores. What a woman is "supposed" to do, he says? Screw that. It is up to a couple to negotiate how they want to handle the responsibilities, not somehow intrinsically assigned according to what type of junk someone has in their pants. He'll end up old and lonely. Women get sick of that nonsense.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be a stay at home dad.
  • machelle04
    machelle04 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Nice job on winning your fantasy football championship! Next question did you throat punch the idiot?
  • jtolman619
    jtolman619 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My husband and I work opposite shifts. I work 6am to 2:30 pm, he works 3pm to 12:20 am. He is a stay at home dad during the day and I take my turn in the evening. I think it's great that dads want to be so involved with their kids! Any idiot can be a dad, but it takes a real man to be a father! Good on you!

This exactly! Good for you! :)
  • iamangrydoug
    iamangrydoug Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

Haha! this made me LOL very loudly at my desk

+1.....I would so kick your *kitten* in FF
  • beckyml1980
    Options
    And might I add! Any person with kids knows that being an at home parent gives you anything but "all the time in the world" to have to yourself..... I agree with Machelle04.... throat punch would have been totally appropriate in this case
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I don't think that is necessarily insulting nor chauvinist. Everyone has a different way of doing things and some people are genuinely surprised if traditional roles are not upheld in a household.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lol, not only did I win the gym FFL, I won in our money league too!!!
    Hmmmm, maybe the guest was just hatin' on me.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yea, I think a lot of people still run into that attitude, I do as well very regularly. Nothing wrong with being a stay at home dad, it's hard work and has AT LEAST as much impact as bringing home the bacon, considering you are shaping the daily lives and experiences of your children HUGELY. You are raising your kids, that's a damn important job and very underrated. Parents make or break their kids more often than not. That's a big responsibility.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I stayed home with my two boys until they were about five years (and worked from home after that). I always felt that, though people pay lip service to greater male involvement in parenting and the death of stereotypes, people couldn't really handle it and did not appreciate it much.
    I never heard any direct, negative comments like you heard. But, definitely, men did not know how to talk with me about what I did. They could, and would, ask about Bob's job or Steve's day at the office. But mine just never came up.
    I also felt it was pretty hard to be the male at home because the other people who stay home with their kids are mostly women -- very traditional women -- and most are not comfortable at all with a man in their midst.
    I would never trade my days at home for anything. But, for those reason, I would never recommend that a man stay home to parent.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    machelle04 wrote: »
    Nice job on winning your fantasy football championship! Next question did you throat punch the idiot?
    I don't believe in throat punching.

A disabling Muay Thai kick to the knee is a better choice.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure how this is male chauvinism. More like one man being insecure about his masculinity and needing to degrade another man in order to make himself feel validated.

There's nothing wrong with gender roles, and there is nothing wrong with parents mixing or switching them. What is wrong are people who view that their way is the right way and by doing it any differently is grounds for burning at the stake.

I agree with "Any *kitten* can be a dad, but it takes a real man to be a father." However, there is no one correct way to be a man or a father.

Except for throat punching someone for sharing his ignorance and making a public display of his low self esteem. That's just acting cowardly. The real man would just shrug it off and carry on with his day.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So last night in between clients, one of the guys I play fantasy football with, brought in a guest. I was razzing him about me winning the championship and he shot back "well if I had your time at home and was a stay at home dad, I'd probably have all the updated info to beat you!"
    And that's when the guest interjected. "You're a stay at home dad? So you do all the work a woman is supposed to do at home? I don't think that I could handle doing that."
    I replied, " It's actually not that difficult if you have a system in place."
    He stated "Yeah, but I wouldn't feel as much of man if I wasn't the one bringing home the bacon."

Now personally, I could give a crap about how he may have viewed me as a "man". But I gotta figure that his SO isn't probably getting a fair shake at home. The reply of "that's what a woman is supposed to do", just made me realize that even in the very liberal area I live in, male chauvinism still exists with some.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I owned my own service business - 50 employees all on the road and at job sites.

I was a single mother.

Parenting - or as your buddy's guest put it - woman's work is the hardest thing I have ever done...as challenging as briging home the bacon. I used to go to work to rest.

I knew a couple from a very affluent area of town and he stayed home to raise kids and they lied about it ...i thought that was a little short sighted...what a great role model to other parents and fathers...but to lie about it. wow.

• tjcuipylo
    tjcuipylo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Everything is wrong with gender roles. What a person "should" or "should not" do is has NOTHING to do with their gender. A woman is supposed to do whatever she dang well pleases. There is no "woman's job" and no "man's job". If staying home with your kids doesn't make you feel like a man, then you're probably not much of one to begin with.
  • machelle04
    machelle04 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    machelle04 wrote: »
    I don't believe in throat punching.

A disabling Muay Thai kick to the knee is a better choice.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Nice I gotta quit watching "identity theft" it's making me want to throat punch people! I wouldn't sweat his comments sounds like he's insecure!