Yet another new study confirms fat people drink diet soda...

Options

Replies

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I will admit I drink too much of it but too many variables in these studies, how many of those people who drank diet pop exercised on a regular basis, how many had family histories of medical issues, what else did they drink and eat blah blah blah.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Awaiting the study showing that lots of people with emphysema quit smoking, and drawing the conclusion that quitting smoking causes emphysema.

Also, people with broken limbs don't ski anymore. Quitting skiing causes broken bones.

And so forth...
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Fat people are not fat from drinking diet soda.... we are fat from washing down tons of greasy calorie laden rubbish food with diet soda. grrrr
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I will just say that there have been many studies that have indicated there may be a link between diet soda...more specifically artificial sweeteners...and weight gain, heart disease, stroke, etc.
    Oh I'm sure there's a link:

People are overweight.

They don't want to be overweight anymore.

They start drinking "diet soda" thinking it will help them lose weight or prevent them from gaining more.

There's definitely a cause and effect relationship going on in many cases, but drinking diet soda is the effect, not the cause.

• Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    These studies never seem to establish a direct link between diet soda and weight gain. Correlation doesn't equal causation.

Random fact about me. I got fat drinking regular soda (2-4 liters a day). I didn't start drinking diet until after I started trying to lose weight.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    People who eat carrots have a 100% mortality rate.

I'm doomed! DOOOOOOOMED!!!!
    hqdefault.jpg
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly not fat and even when training for HMs I've drunk Coke Zero. *shrug* Yet another study I don't give a damn about.
  • TCT2015
    TCT2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    OP, what's wrong here isn't that fat people drink diet soda it's that some people feel the need to bash others for THEIR choices.....

btw I choose diet soda.....
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I hear fat people drink regular soda, too.
    And some of us don't even drink soda! hmm maybe there should be a study about fat people who don't drink soda. :astonished:

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I never drank any soda and got fat. Now that I've lost 80 lbs, I occasionally drink diet soda, and continue to lose weight.

I like it because it's sweet but has zero carbs. I can't haz carbz so I drink the diet soda.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    What's great about the study is that it links it to adults 65 and over increasing their waist size. Not like in the 9 years they studied them that metabolism likely also slowed due to aging. ;)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    People who eat carrots have a 100% mortality rate.
    I don't like carrots....YES!!!!

• lostinwebspace
    lostinwebspace Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't think diet soda is innocent, but I don't think it causes weight gain. It might make a switch in our heads that make us eat more, thinking we're doing ok in our diets, but the soda itself doesn't cause it. Other health detriments? Yeah. Probably. They'll nail it for something one day. But I doubt our fat percentage will be one of them.

I've lost 35 pounds of fat over the last year, gone from about 27% body fat to about 12% since September, and the only thing I have left to kick is my Diet Coke addiction.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    The difference between medicine and poison is the dose.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    The problem with diet soda is that it is contaminated with hydrogen dioxide. Almost all commercially available beverages in the US contain high levels of hydrogen dioxide. Our rivers, lakes and even springs located deep in the wilderness have it too. If that stuff gets into your lungs you can die!
    Your mistake was rather ionic.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I love diet soda. I have a 24 pack at my desk at work.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    The problem with diet soda is that it is contaminated with hydrogen dioxide. Almost all commercially available beverages in the US contain high levels of hydrogen dioxide. Our rivers, lakes and even springs located deep in the wilderness have it too. If that stuff gets into your lungs you can die!
    Your mistake was rather ionic.

I hope there aren't people drinking hydrogen dioxide. That would be...problematic.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    What's great about the study is that it links it to adults 65 and over increasing their waist size. Not like in the 9 years they studied them that metabolism likely also slowed due to aging. ;)

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You do realize that there was a control group right? There's always a control group in prospective studies.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I will just say that there have been many studies that have indicated there may be a link between diet soda...more specifically artificial sweeteners...and weight gain, heart disease, stroke, etc.
    Oh I'm sure there's a link:

People are overweight.

They don't want to be overweight anymore.

They start drinking "diet soda" thinking it will help them lose weight or prevent them from gaining more.

There's definitely a cause and effect relationship going on in many cases, but drinking diet soda is the effect, not the cause.
    I think you are oversimplifying the issue. While the jury is still out, there have been numerous studies indicating artificial sweeteners are not good for health in general. It's more than just weight. Do they, on their own, make you fat? No, of course not. But I think they could quite possibly be detrimental in many cases and most likely contribute to other problems. More research in this area is needed to get a better understanding..and that is why the studies continue.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    EVERYBODY in the study was over 65. So all of their metabolisms had slowed due to aging. The point is that those who drank the soda had waists that grew MORE than those who didn't.