beginning weight when u started running

Options
13»

Replies

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    What weight were you when you started running?

Thank you everyone. Ive learned a lot from your posts.
  • renee1254
    renee1254 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    Great post, I am wondering the same. I want to add running g to my arsenal but I have a surgically repaired ankle (screws and a plate) and think I Ned to be as light as I can before starting. Not sure if I will ever be pain free but don't want to injure myself and derail my current workouts. For now I do biking, elliptical, rowing and strength.

Anyone have any input or advice? I'm currently about 187lbs and 5'8". I would say I'm in good cardiovascular shape at this point.

I had an ORIF on my left ankle. Aug 2015 will be 2 years, I just started running/jogging.

5'5" 290 and have never ran/jog like this is before the weight was at its highest or before my ankle break. I stopped smoking this year as well. My goal is 30 lb by May. I was at 55 lb weight loss the month I broke my ankle :(
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I am 218 now and plan to start in 2-3 weeks, as soon as the snow has cleared a bit and the temperatures are consistently above freezing (because Canada... But on the flip side, ice skating in the park all winter rocks!)

I used to have plantar fasciitis (not from running) which has gone now with the weight lost, but to be on the safe side, I have been doing strengthening exercises for the feet, shins, hips, and stretches for runners for a month now along with my other strength-training. Also there is a well-maintained, smooth dirt path where I live which apparently is more forgiving than concrete. We'll see :)
  • pjs2780
    pjs2780 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Awww thanks all of you. Hopefully I will get over my fear and try it out soon.

good luck! i am training for my first 5K right now (with a running coach but she basically has me doing C25K) and the biggest hurdle was mental/worry -- i know i run slowly. i know i look ridiculous trying to keep from bouncing on the treadmill. i am probably the only person at my gym with a metronome app in my headphones. but i am so excited to "be a runner" someday and i am so glad i started.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,166 Member
    Options
    Started at 220, did running only til I dropped to 170. Then I started lifting weights and the weight went back up, but lean weight.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    213lbs at 5'3".

You can do this. I highly recommend C25K, but go slow. Your "run" doesn't have to be fast. You should still be able to talk. I think I "ran" slower than I could power walk at first. It's about building endurance, not about breaking speed records.

Also, repeat weeks if you feel you need to before moving on. I think I repeated at least 3 different weeks. But I finished it and run regularly now.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am very conservative when it comes to my health, so I started out walking up to 5k until that got easy. I was 190 lbs (4' 5") when I started running. I followed the eight week "learn to run" program offered by the Running Room as I wanted to do it safely.

I can't emphasize how important it is to start slow and do all your stretching and core exercises as well. My poor knees are taking a beating as I am building up strength.