Yet another new study confirms fat people drink diet soda...

Options

Replies

• Erilynn93
    Erilynn93 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried about diet sodas. As long as you don't live off it you'll be fine. I'm one of those people that it actually helps me stave of my sweet tooth most of the time, as long as I don't drink like more than a can or two a day (I don't usually drink it daily, too). I'm a researcher and I know that many studies don't take into account individual differences, so let's just not forget that when reading articles. Science never means things are proven, they just have tendencies to go a certain way.
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    OMG. I'm fat but don't drink diet soda or any soda? How did this happen?

Gremlins!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    What's great about the study is that it links it to adults 65 and over increasing their waist size. Not like in the 9 years they studied them that metabolism likely also slowed due to aging. ;)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    EVERYBODY in the study was over 65. So all of their metabolisms had slowed due to aging. The point is that those who drank the soda had waists that grew MORE than those who didn't.
    Diet drinkers vs non consumed the same numbers of calories per day drift?
    What's great about the study is that it links it to adults 65 and over increasing their waist size. Not like in the 9 years they studied them that metabolism likely also slowed due to aging. ;)

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    EVERYBODY in the study was over 65. So all of their metabolisms had slowed due to aging. The point is that those who drank the soda had waists that grew MORE than those who didn't.

So in the full text does it say diet soda drinkers consumed the same calories every day and had similar energy expenditures as those who did not drink soda?

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Diet drinkers vs non consumed the same numbers of calories per day drift?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So in the full text does it say diet soda drinkers consumed the same calories every day and had similar energy expenditures as those who did not drink soda?
    Well, the full text of the study was not provided, so I cannot answer that question for you. I was just addressing his comment that older people have slower metabolisms and this somehow influenced the results...it did not.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You do realize that there was a control group right? There's always a control group in prospective studies.
    Actually there was no control group. Studies like this are usually "questionnaires" if they are that long. If it was questionnaire, how accurate is the information from the participants? We have NO IDEA what the diet was of any of the people in the study. Could the leaner people been more physically active versus those that weren't that may have drank diet soda daily?
    Were the eating patterns exactly the same as 9 years previously? Did any get diabetes along the way (since it's a higher risk to attain in elderly years)?

More questions than actual answers.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Erilynn93 wrote: »
    I'm not worried about diet sodas. As long as you don't live off it you'll be fine. I'm one of those people that it actually helps me stave of my sweet tooth most of the time, as long as I don't drink like more than a can or two a day (I don't usually drink it daily, too). I'm a researcher and I know that many studies don't take into account individual differences, so let's just not forget that when reading articles. Science never means things are proven, they just have tendencies to go a certain way.

Don't really agree with that. Science does prove things, but not with just one study. It needs to be many specific studies done over time, with full control of all variables. And the results need to be repeatable with separate studies done by others. Which a lot of "diet" studies don't do very well.

I personally don't drink diet soda because I can't stand the aspertame aftertaste.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I posted a huge wall of text on my facebook page about this. Rather than posting it here though, I'll cliff note it.

The study used dietary recall to assess diet soda consumption annually. We have plenty of evidence that dietary recall sucks. So it raises the question whether or not the assessment of soda consumption was accurate. Additionally, I'd question whether the inaccuracies would be greater in people age 65+ who this was used for.

And even if the assessment is accurate, you still can't establish that diet soda CAUSED people to gain waist circumference. It's quite feasible that the people who had the highest diet soda consumption were also making other choices that would lead them to gain waist circumference at a faster rate than people who chose not to drink diet soda.

Since we have evidence that adherence to the diet is a massively important factor to successful weight management, I think it's reasonable to include diet soda in your diet IF it helps you consume fewer calories. And if for some reason you believe that diet soda causes you to eat more calories, it might be reasonable to remove it or limit it.

But I don't think we can conclude that diet soda CAUSES obesity.

(See here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22301929 and perhaps here too:http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.20737/pdf)
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of either Coke Zero or Pepsi Max with my lunch (depends on what Walmart decides to do a price-drop for that week). But I am not fat. Oh well.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Anecdotal but I've drank diet sodas since I was a kid (my mother was diabetic, that's all she'd buy). Never been obese, always had a small waist even when overweight. ::Shrug::
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I posted a huge wall of text on my facebook page about this. Rather than posting it here though, I'll cliff note it.

The study used dietary recall to assess diet soda consumption annually. We have plenty of evidence that dietary recall sucks. So it raises the question whether or not the assessment of soda consumption was accurate. Additionally, I'd question whether the inaccuracies would be greater in people age 65+ who this was used for.

And even if the assessment is accurate, you still can't establish that diet soda CAUSED people to gain waist circumference. It's quite feasible that the people who had the highest diet soda consumption were also making other choices that would lead them to gain waist circumference at a faster rate than people who chose not to drink diet soda.

Since we have evidence that adherence to the diet is a massively important factor to successful weight management, I think it's reasonable to include diet soda in your diet IF it helps you consume fewer calories. And if for some reason you believe that diet soda causes you to eat more calories, it might be reasonable to remove it or limit it.

But I don't think we can conclude that diet soda CAUSES obesity.

(See here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22301929 and perhaps here too:http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.20737/pdf)

Another issue I have is with quotes from the researcher. It almost sounds like they WANTED to find diet soda guilty.

And given a big enough dataset (like in say the "China study") you can find a lot of stuff you want if you try hard enough:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    OK forget my flippant comment about water earlier I've just had an epiphany. I have an off the wall idea this may be out there and a little controversial but I'll float it anyway. I have heard rumours that fat people have been known to eat food. Yes actually eat food now I know it could be a bit of a strange idea but is it at all possible that food could be at anyway indicated in someone's obesity? I know stupid idea now I say it I see what a ridiculous idea that is you know the idea that eating too much food could make you fat. ridiculous Huh

WHAT? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOOD???????????????? THE HORROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    100% of people who drink water die, so...
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    notyalc66 wrote: »
    Of course, sick people are found in hospitals, therefore hospitals cause sickness.

This
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • ErikThaRed
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    My guess? Not only is it fairly typical to switch to diet soda when you start thinking you're getting fat, but also to start eating more because, "Hey, drinking diet soda totally compensates, man."

Ant this too
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is bad on so many levels. If you want soda, drink the regular kind. Yes it has more calories, but compared to diet soda, its better for your body. But, soda in general is not gppd for you and has zero benefits. That being said, I am still DYING for a DrPepper or 10 right now lol
  • ErikThaRed
    Options
    I've done both. I am a coca cola fiend, and have been drinking it far too long in my life. I tried switching to diet, or zero and it helped lose a bit, but I still ate like crap and didn't really do a heck of a lot. I have read a few things on how aspartame is not so good for you and have chosen to avoid products with that in it. Most diet sodas I drank had this so I opted out. I only drink regular coke now and haven't put on any more weight than I did with diet soda. The best is to just stay away from soda all together. I also did that for a while and lost weight, but fell off the wagon again and got back on the coke...coca cola that is. Haven't really gained anything from it, cause I've been trying to eat healthy and exercise.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    While the jury is still out, there have been numerous studies indicating artificial sweeteners are not good for health in general.
    On the contrary, there's a preponderance of evidence that artificial sweeteners cleared by the FDA are safe. The jury has gone home.

A popular sweetener that is NOT cleared is Stevia.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    JessieLMay wrote: »
    Diet soda is bad on so many levels. If you want soda, drink the regular kind. Yes it has more calories, but compared to diet soda, its better for your body. But, soda in general is not gppd for you and has zero benefits. That being said, I am still DYING for a DrPepper or 10 right now lol

Benefits: Hydration, taste, caffeine.

Drinking regular soda means not just more calories, but also consumption of HFCS. I would rather have no calorie diet soda sweetened with substances that are not even absorbed, but just pass right on through.