Yep, male chauvanism still exists

Options

Replies

• CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Is it male chauvinism or is it his personal feelings about his preference?

This is America, right? We are allowed to have opinions? Why does a label have to thrown at people who have a different opinion than our own?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,569 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure how this is male chauvinism. More like one man being insecure about his masculinity and needing to degrade another man in order to make himself feel validated.

There's nothing wrong with gender roles, and there is nothing wrong with parents mixing or switching them. What is wrong are people who view that their way is the right way and by doing it any differently is grounds for burning at the stake.

I agree with "Any *kitten* can be a dad, but it takes a real man to be a father." However, there is no one correct way to be a man or a father.

Except for throat punching someone for sharing his ignorance and making a public display of his low self esteem. That's just acting cowardly. The real man would just shrug it off and carry on with his day.
    Guess you missed the part where it was said "you do all the work a WOMAN is SUPPOSED to do at home". If that's not a statement of male chauvinism, then we obviously have different opinions on the definition.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    tjcuipylo wrote: »
    Everything is wrong with gender roles. What a person "should" or "should not" do is has NOTHING to do with their gender. A woman is supposed to do whatever she dang well pleases. There is no "woman's job" and no "man's job". If staying home with your kids doesn't make you feel like a man, then you're probably not much of one to begin with.

THIS. And those defending Sir Choad: Would you defend racism in this same way? Good luck getting away with that.

• mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    that's appalling. i'm a stay at home mom and if i had the well paying job my husband would likely be the one staying home with the kids and he'd be damn good at it.

chin up. chauvanism exists, but at least it's slowly moving in the right direction.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure how this is male chauvinism. More like one man being insecure about his masculinity and needing to degrade another man in order to make himself feel validated.

There's nothing wrong with gender roles, and there is nothing wrong with parents mixing or switching them. What is wrong are people who view that their way is the right way and by doing it any differently is grounds for burning at the stake.

I agree with "Any *kitten* can be a dad, but it takes a real man to be a father." However, there is no one correct way to be a man or a father.

Except for throat punching someone for sharing his ignorance and making a public display of his low self esteem. That's just acting cowardly. The real man would just shrug it off and carry on with his day.
    Guess you missed the part where it was said "you do all the work a WOMAN is SUPPOSED to do at home". If that's not a statement of male chauvinism, then we obviously have different opinions on the definition.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yup missed that part. My bad.
  • tjcuipylo
    tjcuipylo Posts: 21 Member
    Options

This is America, right? We are allowed to have opinions? Why does a label have to thrown at people who have a different opinion than our own?

It is male chauvinism when he says it's what a woman is supposed to do. Why is it up to him to decide what a woman does? The answer is it isn't. It isn't any of his business. If he feels like less of a man because he isn't "bringing home the bacon" that's his personal feelings. But to think that a woman has specific things she can or can not do is chauvinistic.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    My husband had a fishing buddy(no longer hangs out with him) who he wouldn't let me meet because he knew the guy and I would prob have a problem with each other because he was such a chauvinist, example: at a party his wife had to stay by his side or behind him at all times, she followed him from room to room and wasn't allowed to mingle on her own and that was the tip of the iceburg. Yeah we woulda gone head to head. I also wouldn't have liked or respected his wife so.........yeah.

That sounds like an abusive relationship.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    sschwark wrote: »
    My husband is a stay at home dad. He works a heck of a lot harder than I do, that's for sure. I actually laughed out loud at the idea that a stay at home parent somehow has tons of spare time to just sit around and stare at walls and stuff.

We have both heard some positive and negative things about him staying home. And some things are just crazy.
    To me: "Oh, so you wear the pants, eh?" um..wut.
    To me: "How can you just leave your kids behind and choose to work and let your husband sit around with the kids all day?" Oh, thanks for the guilt trip. We didn't choose for my husband to be a stay at home dad, it just happened.
    To my husband: "Wow, your wife brings home the paycheck, does that make you feel like less of a man?"
    To my husband: "Do you do all the womanly things like cooking and cleaning too?"

Some of the things people say (and think) are just strange.
    Lol, my wife and I have heard a lot of the same above. Some in jest and others curiously really wondering. I shluff off any demeaning comments.
    I'll just say that being a stay at home dad is actually very rewarding. I do work part time, but being a trainer isn't as stressful as my DW's job as an electrical engineer. Since we're a parenting team, me doing all the house "stuff" and being a stay at home dad, frees up time with her to spend with our daughter.
    Incidentally, there are lots of guys at my gym that wished they could do the same.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• chivalryder
    Options
    My husband is a stay at home dad. He works a heck of a lot harder than I do, that's for sure. I actually laughed out loud at the idea that a stay at home parent somehow has tons of spare time to just sit around and stare at walls and stuff.

We have both heard some positive and negative things about him staying home. And some things are just crazy.
    To me: "How can you just leave your kids behind and choose to work and let your husband sit around with the kids all day?" Oh, thanks for the guilt trip. We didn't choose for my husband to be a stay at home dad, it just happened.
    To my husband: "Wow, your wife brings home the paycheck, does that make you feel like less of a man?"
    To my husband: "Do you do all the womanly things like cooking and cleaning too?"

Lol, my wife and I have heard a lot of the same above. Some in jest and others curiously really wondering. I shluff off any demeaning comments.
    I'll just say that being a stay at home dad is actually very rewarding. I do work part time, but being a trainer isn't as stressful as my DW's job as an electrical engineer. Since we're a parenting team, me doing all the house "stuff" and being a stay at home dad, frees up time with her to spend with our daughter.
    Incidentally, there are lots of guys at my gym that wished they could do the same.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It would be awesome to not have to be stuck in an office all day and do something that is productive and personally rewarding, instead of getting paid to do something someone else will gain from.

You know, unless you're curing cancer, solving world hungry, or developing an infinite energy source.
  • tjcuipylo
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

male chauvinism

Word Origin

noun
    the beliefs, attitudes, or behavior of male chauvinists (men who patronize, disparage, or otherwise denigrate females in the belief that they are inferior to males and thus deserving of less than equal treatment or benefit).

Here's the dictionary definition. For anybody unsure.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    rhonderoo wrote: »
    Ask him what the hell he's doing at the gym, wasn't he supposed to be mowing the lawn and cleaning the gutters? He doesn't have time to work that fat *kitten* off, he's got lawnwork to do.
    LMAO. I've met lots of guys who can't even change a flat tire correctly. First priority I'm gonna teach my DD how to do when she's able to drive.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It would be awesome to not have to be stuck in an office all day and do something that is productive and personally rewarding, instead of getting paid to do something someone else will gain from.

You know, unless you're curing cancer, solving world hungry, or developing an infinite energy source.
    Ah, that's where I'm fortunate too because my job entails a lot of helping others physically, rehabbing from injury or surgery, bettering themselves athletically, etc. Double win for me then.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• tjcuipylo
    Options
    rhonderoo wrote: »
    Ask him what the hell he's doing at the gym, wasn't he supposed to be mowing the lawn and cleaning the gutters? He doesn't have time to work that fat *kitten* off, he's got lawnwork to do.
    LMAO. I've met lots of guys who can't even change a flat tire correctly. First priority I'm gonna teach my DD how to do when she's able to drive.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Once I was old enough to drive, my dad taught me how to change my own tire, change my own oil, and would quiz me on what was under the hood, and what it did. Some of the most useful lessons I've ever had, especially when I managed to get 2 flats within 24 hours of each other. It's also useful that I learned on a stick shift in a big *kitten* truck. Because I really like driving my truck!
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Oh, for sure. Some are truly curious, some are saying it in jest, and some are just stuck back in the 50's (;

That is exactly how it is in our home too. My husband works part time and owns a business that he manages from home (and generally only after our children are asleep). He does all the cooking and cleaning and everything else during the day so that when I get home, I get to spend as much time with him and the girls as possible and not have to worry about the other stuff.

I would probably give up a kidney to be the parent that stays home with the kids as it is so rewarding but I also know that it's the hardest job in the world. Kids are only little for so long though and I totally envy my husband for getting all that time with them - but I'm also incredibly grateful to have one of us be able to stay at home with them as there are so many families that can't (:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yup, that's why I'm single.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

People have a right to any opinion or belief. If someone is a chauvinist, portrays it and acts that way, then more power to their belief. Their preference is females aren't at the same level as them. It doesn't doesn't disassociate them from being labeled a chauvinist.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    530roman wrote: »
    Was this a post about chauvinism or a hidden brag post about winning your fantasy football championship?
    Lol, not only did I win the gym FFL, I won in our money league too!!!
    Hmmmm, maybe the guest was just hatin' on me.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Definitely a hater :smile: . Good on you, and don’t let ridiculous backward-thinking people get to you.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I deal with this every day :( My husband expects me to work full time to help support the family but he also wants me to do all the "woman stuff" at home like the cooking, cleaning and taking care of the kids. In the 8 years we've been married he has never washed the floors or cleaned the bathroom...I don't think he knows how to turn the vacuum on! After having both our kids I was deathly sick yet he refused to help out with them at all until they were potty trained.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    im surprised that anyone is surprised that chauvanism "still exists"