Squats--1/2 way down or butt to ground? See pic

Options

Replies

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I am happy to hit parallel, but I have hip issues and don't try to go further. I don't want to go back to surgery just to have a lower squat. So, if I look like a "chump" in the gym, so be it.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I always go parallel. If I can't go parallel that day I lower weights.

Not Every Squat Day is a best squat day for me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I go slightly past parallel but not by much.

Me as well.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When you all say that you go down slightly past parallel (or even to parallel) and then back up, are you consciously making the effort to reverse directions at that point or is that as far as you can go, at which point you automatically reverse directions? I always wonder that when this comes up.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I go *kitten* to the grass
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    When you all say that you go down slightly past parallel (or even to parallel) and then back up, are you consciously making the effort to reverse directions at that point or is that as far as you can go, at which point you automatically reverse directions? I always wonder that when this comes up.

Personally I think I get to a point where I think 'if I go any lower there's no way in hell I'm getting up again with this on my back"

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    My advice? Pick a squat type (low bar or high bar) that you can do with good form given your particular anthropomorphy.

Then consistently improve it and add load to it whilst striving to maintain good form.

Changing your squat style based on a single training article when you're not having problems with your existing set-up (or one's that can be fixed with minor tweaks) is nuts.

^This. And there are better ways on focusing on your glutes both with the squats you are already doing (focus on squeezing your glutes to get you up and hip drive) as well as adding in accessory lifts that train the glutes specifically (hip thrusts and glute bridges are both great).
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I would say break parallel but dont go all the way down so that you're sort of resting on your haunches at the bottom of the movement. Does anyone else notice that, when going all the way down, there's a rest there?
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My trainer explained it to me this way:

If you squat to parallel you'll still be working quads, hammys and glutes but your quads will be doing more of the work. If you go below then they're all having to work just as hard so it's more of an all rounder.

But like others have said, it really depends on your flexibility. I go *kitten* to floor because I can, but a girl I work out with can't yet so she just gets as low as she can with good form.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    My warm ups are very low with a pause. My work sets are below parralel.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    My advice? Pick a squat type (low bar or high bar) that you can do with good form given your particular anthropomorphy.

Then consistently improve it and add load to it whilst striving to maintain good form.

Changing your squat style based on a single training article when you're not having problems with your existing set-up (or one's that can be fixed with minor tweaks) is nuts.

^this. If you want more glute and hamstring involvement then do wide stance, low bar squats as deep as you can without your lower back rounding. Throw in some romanian deadlifts and glute bridges and you'll have a kadungadunk in no time.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I hit, at a minimum,parallel on my squats. While I was doing ATG squats I discovered that I ended up hurting my ankle. How? I have no clue but it was the same ankle I sprained a lot from high school sports and I made the decision to stick with parallel.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I go just to parallel or a little below. Like another poster said, my warm ups are A2G, though they are lower weights. I also do other things besides squats to work my posterior.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my knees so I am unable to go A2G when squatting heavy, I tend to go just below parallel. I used to feel bad about it until I saw DLB in training video explain why she doesn't do A2G. I forget when she said, but I'd say, she's doing ok without going all the way down.

t82nl002xkcd.jpg
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

Personally I think I get to a point where I think 'if I go any lower there's no way in hell I'm getting up again with this on my back"

That makes sense. I'd say that my train of thought is "I've hit bottom, time to go up," with anything lower than "bottom" being the point at which I'd be stuck.

I prefer front squats so I think of those as being mainly for my quads, RDLs for hamstrings, glute bridges/hip thrusts for glutes.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I meant hamstrings aren't as tapped *above* parallel, what is wrong with me
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in my experience, it is also dependent on how heavy one is going. When I squat lighter I can hit below parallel no problem; however, as I go up in weight I am at parallel or a tad below....
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Alternatives that get at the Glute max in addition to what's been mentioned are: high step ups, walking and reverse lunges, and Bulgarian split squats
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Alternatives that get at the Glute max in addition to what's been mentioned are: high step ups, walking and reverse lunges, and Bulgarian split squats

True, but Bulgarian splits were invented by the devil...