It's almost spring! Will you walk your dog?

Options

Replies

• Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't have a dog but two of my cats will go on the leash. Cyrus doesn't like to leave the front of the house but once Gizmo gets used to it we are able to walk for a bit. Not as far as a dog will go but it is fun to take them out. Oscar is our other cat. He is the escape artist and does not leave the house! B)
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    When I first started my fitness program my puppy walked with me everyday. There were days when we walked five miles or more. She walked me to a weight loss of over 100 pounds and she helped me keep it off. But she is now twelve years old and terminally ill :'( so now I try to walk my husband (LOL) every day. When she has a good day we do go outside and walk around the yard or play fetch with her stuffed hedgehog. When her time comes we'll rescue a new family member or maybe even two who will walk with me faithfully.

So sorry about your dog. I lost my 7 year old dog to cancer in October, I know how devastating it is. :(
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I live in Chicago - it's SUCH a pet friendly city! My dog loves the snow about as much as I do, so during the winter she's happy to trudge along with me through snow and play. Now that it's nicer out we're able to go for long walks in our neighborhood park.

I also love to take her along the lakefront. She's not too keen with other dogs sometimes (depends on the dog and the direction the wind blows, lol), so we don't really venture into too many dog parks, but she is beyond ecstatic when she sees me put on my sneakers because it usually means we'll be out roaming around for a while.

Personally, I can't wait until our local bar and restaurant patios open up. There are so many around my house that are pet friendly. One we love to go to has great drink and food specials and brings out water bowls for the dogs during the spring and summer. There's nothing better than taking her for a super long walk, ending up at one of my favorite patio bars and relaxing with a beer and my pup.

OP you just made me SUPER excited for nice weather! :heart_eyes:
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I should offer to walk the dog across the street. They just let him out in their (fenced) yard and then he gets upset and barks at everyone (even me, in my own front yard) and I feel bad for him.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My tiny neighborhood has nearly twelve dogs, but they all stay inside. I can hear them barking as I walk my dog. My dog LOVES going for a long walk! We haven't been able to walk in quite a while because of the terrible weather, but spring is a-coming! The entire walk through my neighborhood is one mile, or about 20 minutes (depending on my dog) and it's a joy for both of us. If you don't have a dog, offer to walk one of your neighbors' dog(s)! They will love you (both neighbor and dog).

My dog is feeling her age a bit so getting her to go for a walk can be a bit difficult. So I just chase her outside with the vacuum cleaner, because she hates that. Daft mutt doesn't realise it doesn't make that sound she hates if it's not plugged in.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I think it's more correct to say that my dogs walk me!

I walk for at least 1 hour every day with them, regardless of the weather

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    I live in Chicago - it's SUCH a pet friendly city! My dog loves the snow about as much as I do, so during the winter she's happy to trudge along with me through snow and play. Now that it's nicer out we're able to go for long walks in our neighborhood park.

I also love to take her along the lakefront. She's not too keen with other dogs sometimes (depends on the dog and the direction the wind blows, lol), so we don't really venture into too many dog parks, but she is beyond ecstatic when she sees me put on my sneakers because it usually means we'll be out roaming around for a while.

Personally, I can't wait until our local bar and restaurant patios open up. There are so many around my house that are pet friendly. One we love to go to has great drink and food specials and brings out water bowls for the dogs during the spring and summer. There's nothing better than taking her for a super long walk, ending up at one of my favorite patio bars and relaxing with a beer and my pup.

OP you just made me SUPER excited for nice weather! :heart_eyes:

Thank you! This turned out to be one of the nicest threads on MFP. Love hearing everyone's stories and about all of your dogs; they are all so very special.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I won't be walking my dog, as I don't have one.

I won't be walking my cat, as...she's a cat. And she might kill me. Haha.

I'll just be walking. :)
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    I'm surprised at the number of people who walk their cats. I've had cats most of my life and they would have killed me too!
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I actually have a friends, who's cat was featured on one of those Animal planet funny pet shows, because she loves to be walked on a leash. I think it is the CUTEST thing ever, but my little Luci? Not happening! Her idea of fun time is "Oh, look, they're plugging the phones in, getting ready to go to bed! This is the perfect time to beg them to run around with the charger cord so I can chase it!"

Ughhh, I love animals!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    My dog loves to go for walks and don't think she hasn't noticed the change in the weather and daylight savings. Because she's getting older we can't do the long walks like we used to, but she seems to be satisfied with a quick walk around the neighborhood.
  • foxingbird
    Options
    Now that it's warmed up enough to go outside without a jacket, I love taking my roommate's dog for a walk after I get off work. He likes being able to get out and sniff all the new smells haha. He's a cute little butthead too so people walking by stop to give him a few pats and he makes some friends.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at the number of people who walk their cats. I've had cats most of my life and they would have killed me too!

One of our neighbors walks her cat! I don't think the cat particularly likes it because it'll either stand in one spot while she tries to walk it, or it'll jump up a tree and refuse to come down.

I can't get over seeing people try to walk their cats. :)
  • stenchdog4000
    stenchdog4000 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I walk my two at least an hour everyday, sometimes more. I love my dogs to death :)
    s59g0x38frby.jpg
  • the_arghbowl
    the_arghbowl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that there are people who don't walk their dogs every day.

Those people should be poked with sharp things.

This. We've walked every day since he was 8 weeks old. It doesn't matter if it's cold (yes, we walked when it was -20 here), rainy, snowy (yes, we walk in snow. it's just frozen water, folks), windy, hot, etc... If you own a dog, it's your responsibility to walk them. End of story. Saying the weather is "too bad" to walk your dog is just an excuse to be lazy.
  • dawn_noelle29
    dawn_noelle29 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Rain, snow, sunshine, windy, or cold - I always walk my dog....every day. Some days when it's really cold or there's a lot of snow, we shorten up our walks but for the most part, we're out 45 minutes to an hour - regardless of weather. Monday, I played hooky from work and it was beautiful and 70+ degrees so I took him out for a two hour hike. I think getting outside and just spending time with our furry children not only helps our happiness but theirs also.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    My doxie refused to go out in the snow!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that there are people who don't walk their dogs every day.

Those people should be poked with sharp things.

This. We've walked every day since he was 8 weeks old. It doesn't matter if it's cold (yes, we walked when it was -20 here), rainy, snowy (yes, we walk in snow. it's just frozen water, folks), windy, hot, etc... If you own a dog, it's your responsibility to walk them. End of story. Saying the weather is "too bad" to walk your dog is just an excuse to be lazy.

While I agree with you to a certain point, some weather can be dangerous depending on the dog. My parents have a Boston Terrier, she has very short hair and can't handle cold well. Actually, because of her nose she can't handle really hot weather either. I might do a short walk at -20 with my dog, but colder than that is too cold for her. She starts hopping around holding up her feet, and that's not fun for anyone.
  • Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Cyrus on his leash
    bptn5w19ej98.jpg
  • atypicalsmith
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Is Cyrus happy or am I just imagining that his ears are arched back just a bit? :smile: