"You're too skinny!" Do others ever make you question your maintenance weight?

Options

Replies

• rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had this happen about 15 years ago... when I was busy raising little kids..
    I truly did not know " I looked to thin" till I was told this... so when I got home I weighted myself (back in the days I did not have to think about a scale/weight). I was underweight, went to doctor and had thyroid trouble. removed it.
    Now I am trying to lose the extra pound put ON from the ordeal.
    But you obviously are aware of "what you weigh". Maybe just a kind... " I am in the normal range".
  • freefallebby
    freefallebby Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Taking progress photos also helps, so you can see the changes for yourself. I've still got some old photos (this is from before smart phones being invented) from when I was only running all the time and way too thin, I wasn't being real with myself. I looked worse at a lower weight in those photos than now at a heavier healthier weight. So just be real to yourself, make sure you don't go off the deep end. The deep end sucks. I've been there and decided to start living a balanced life again.
  • OhReally42
    OhReally42 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm no where near maintaining,I'm in fact still losing, but comments like the "you're too fat" or "I don't date fat girls" when I was 125lbs are why my self esteem was and part of why it still is so low. I think one of the best comments I've heard in retort to those people is "Thank you for your concern, but I am happy the way I am" or "Thank you for your concern, but I live my life in a healthy way for myself and I'm fine with how I look"
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    As someone who was significantly underweight from birth to age 18, I heard "You're too skinny!" and "Eat a cheeseburger!" a lot. My favorite was when people tried to say I was anorexic. My reply was usually something along the lines of, "Anorexics eat over 2500 calories?"

I was naturally thin and petite. I was a competitive gymnast and cheerleader for over 10 years. That was just how I was built.

When someone comments on your weight, simply tell them "thank you for your concern but my doctor assures me I'm healthy as can be." That will usually shut them up.

• Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I get similar comments quite often, and I do in fact believe it's hard for people to adjust to change when they have become accustomed to a certain look. I just get tickled every time someone says something about me being too thin because I'm not even at my goal weight yet. Technically, I'm still overweight. Surprisingly to me, I think I hear the comments more from men, which is really strange to me. For example, my male colleague, who I rarely talk to, told me just this morning that I didn't need to lose anymore weight. He told me that men (He apparently knows what every man in the world wants.) like to have something to hold on to, and I was going to be all bones pretty soon. I laughed it off because HE is not my husband, and I know for a fact that my husband is not complaining one bit about my transforming body. :)

Those comments only motivate me more to reach my goal.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    This is how I feel when someone calls me skinny
    3vxy4lrg0nbe.jpg
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It is embarassing when people say that because I never know how to respond. It's just because they are not used to seeing you as "thin" yet. If you were always 125 no one would say anything. I think you look great and your calorie range shows you have a healthy perspective. I think the best response is something like "No, I am fine and I feel great!"

I totally agree. I got similar Responses when I dropped a ton of weight few years back. It will take time for people to get used to the new you, but they will.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Tinabob777 wrote: »
    As someone who was significantly underweight from birth to age 18, I heard "You're too skinny!" and "Eat a cheeseburger!" a lot. My favorite was when people tried to say I was anorexic. My reply was usually something along the lines of, "Anorexics eat over 2500 calories?"

I was naturally thin and petite. I was a competitive gymnast and cheerleader for over 10 years. That was just how I was built.

When someone comments on your weight, simply tell them "thank you for your concern but my doctor assures me I'm healthy as can be." That will usually shut them up.

My youngest daughter (11) has some health issues and she is super super skinny, despite eating loads of foods. She is always looked at funny and then I get judgemental stares. I will have to start coaching her on what to say to people who will eventually start saying stuff like this.

That ticks me off!

I don't understand why people automatically assume 'eating disorder' when a person is very thin. Such a sad world we live in.

It's horrible to have to tell your child what to say if someone comments on their weight but unfortunately, it's the reality. IMO, it's best to prepare her for the worst now than her not be prepared at all. Kids can be nasty nowadays.

It's also important that she knows she can confide in you about topics that are difficult to talk about! So kudos to you!
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Girl, you just ignore them. You look great and clearly you're getting enough calories so don't pay attention to the haters. Everyone's a critic.

I grew up hearing "you're too skinny" and probably will until the day I die. It is what it is.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I get it a bit, I'm 4kg bigger than the minimum weight for my height according to bmi, and I want to maintain at around the minimum, because I have a small frame and I also want to be faster, for my running. If you feel happy with how you look at your maintenance weight and are perfectly healthy, tell them so. People like to assert their personal preferences, but I just think "Too skinny for what?" your preference? okay thanks for letting me know, but I'll be doing what I prefer, as it is my body, thank you.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    A lot of it has to do with your previous weight... the weight I am at now is actually 12 lbs more than my 25 yo weight (17% bf then, 18% now at 51 yo) although I have been close to this weight all my life. I only gained 31 lbs over 4 years when I got ill - that still only put me in the overweight category by 2 lbs, so I never get those comments. BUT if you were quite heavy and that's how most people know you, when you lose the weight you look so different to them that they may not be able to envision you at a healthy weight and worry about you. They have no frame of reference for how you look at a healthy weight, that's why "you look too skinny." Good for you!
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I got all of this when I lost my weight too. It was mostly because the people in my circle never saw me when I was thin. If they persisted, my comeback was to rattle off my doctor's phone number, and ask them to give him a call and tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about." That ended it right there.
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Tinabob777 wrote: »

My youngest daughter (11) has some health issues and she is super super skinny, despite eating loads of foods. She is always looked at funny and then I get judgemental stares. I will have to start coaching her on what to say to people who will eventually start saying stuff like this.

Yes, definitely coach her. It is very important to give our children the words they need when faced with oppositional situations. They, especially shy children, don't usually have the words.
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    When I first got that comment three years ago, it was all I needed to eat all the weight back again, and even more. This time round, I'll try to keep the weight off, and not listen to those comments. It is hard enough as it is not trying to overeat. I am too short for my weight....
  • lauriesue
    lauriesue Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 53, 5'5' and went from 170 to 121 over about 9 months with the Act Now program through the hospital; no diet, just healthy choices and education with a lifestyle coach toto teach us and guide us through the process; all for $150! Funded through the state to prevent diabetes and heart disease. My blood numbers and BMI are completely in normal range. I no longer have acid reflux, my knees don't hurt. For my maintenance my coach and I settled on 1800-2000 calories a day. I too run and also bike and rock climb. I think your caloric goals and weight are realistic for your activity. People are surprised when they see me, but I tell them about my journey and let them know that I am just back to what was a normal size for me most of my life. Luckily I live in Bozeman, MT. and there are a lot of fit and slim folks. I don't get any negative vibes about my weight loss. Keep on doing what you're doing.