Heyyy what do the . Mean on the scale like for example 125.6 or like 125.2

Options

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Chezzie84 wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I could understand if your European and using a american scale.

Europeans seem to write numbers like 1.000,00 while everyone else seems to write 1,000.00, I dislike it when trying to use excel, treating it as text instead of a number :smile:

Europeans write numbers the same as everyone else
    thousand is 1,000 and one and a half is 1.5
    Not sure where the idea of European and American scales has come from

Ah, the irony. Most countries (including almost everyone in Europe) actually use a comma as decimal mark. Though there are probably more people growing up with a dot. See here.

Still more about languages than continents: English-speaking countries generally use a dot.

Oh, and I haven't used Excel in years but OpenOffice recognises numerals based on the language you set—doesn't Excel let you change the language as well!?
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I don't want to sound mean but decimal points are like primary school stuff.

TLDR: Let's get over ourselves.

Okay, so now, on to the show:

Merkevar, you know I like you a lot and I think you're hilarious and a great asset to this site.

With that in mind, hang in tight for what I'm about to say next, because I don't really want to say it, but it is sticking out like a sore thumb for me.

Do you not see the slightest bit of irony in the fact that you just admonished someone for not having an elementary school-level skill...while incorrectly using the word "you're," something my son was tested on early in the school year and expected to pass? He's currently in the third grade, by the way. (And yes, he passed.)

Psst: Also, it's "an," not "a," "American scale." (Capital A.) Other things my third-grader would be marked down on and probably ashamed of, as his entire grade of four classes was expected to have those very very simple grammar facts all locked up in second grade.

I like you.

I like you too. Want to split a brownie?

• MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I frequent many video game forums, I actually like to game. I have spent a lot of time with the full spectrum of people on the intarwebz. Heck I've even perused /b/ for a laugh in my time, I've spent time on the conspiracy forums whilst researching (they are amazingly quick at picking up things on the grapevine long before mass media does). I have run the entire gamut of the internet (almost, obviously there are exceptions).

In all honesty, I have seen more reasoned arguments on gamer forums than I have on here.

The problem with the internet is that you cannot convey feelings. If I were to ask you that question in person, I would very much hope that you didn't see it as condescending. On here, you've just spent 2 pages feeling as if you were attacked and thus you are feeling defensive, so yes, I can see why you would think it would be condescending (and that too probably!) But hand on heart, that wasn't the intention.

At the end of the day, take it as you wish. There is no hidden meaning behind my posts, no feelings of animosity, just a genuine confusion. None of us have any control over other people's feelings or perceptions.

• chrisssiex23x
    chrisssiex23x Posts: 431 Member
    Options

*snipped because people seemingly don't like lots of words*

Well said LAWoman. I'm in agreement with everything. I actually used to a terrible grammar nazi, then it turned out that my youngest girl had quite severe dyslexia. She is not stupid by any means, heck on her visual reasoning and pattern recognition she was completing tests for 16 yr olds at the age of 8. She is incredibly smart in her own little areas...

But spelling 'station'? Not a chance. She's only recently grasped the complexities of 'd' and 'b' being different.

Sometimes we need something we can relate to in order to have a little more compassion and understanding.

Im dyslexia too. And funnyly enough i had problems with my b's and d's.. i got a cool tip for it and sometime have tk use my thumbs still to work out which one is meant to go in the word. I have trouble spelling few words or ill compeletely forget how to spell something soo easy to someone else.

I never got much hell in high school for it either.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    OP, the .2, .6 is a fraction of a pound.

For example, if you lost 8.2 lbs, you have lost 8 lbs, and 2/10 of a pound.

And I thinkkkkk this thread should end now, as the original question is resolved.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options

*snipped because people seemingly don't like lots of words*

Well said LAWoman. I'm in agreement with everything. I actually used to a terrible grammar nazi, then it turned out that my youngest girl had quite severe dyslexia. She is not stupid by any means, heck on her visual reasoning and pattern recognition she was completing tests for 16 yr olds at the age of 8. She is incredibly smart in her own little areas...

But spelling 'station'? Not a chance. She's only recently grasped the complexities of 'd' and 'b' being different.

Sometimes we need something we can relate to in order to have a little more compassion and understanding.

Im dyslexia too. And funnyly enough i had problems with my b's and d's.. i got a cool tip for it and sometime have tk use my thumbs still to work out which one is meant to go in the word. I have trouble spelling few words or ill compeletely forget how to spell something soo easy to someone else.

I never got much hell in high school for it either.

Cool, I'll suggest that to her :)

One thing that did help her in the end was creating the letters out of playdoh or whatever, that way she got to feel the letters and associate the sound/letter with the feeling, if that makes sense? Didn't make a whole lot of sense to me but it seemed to make sense to her!
  • daynes23
    daynes23 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Stopped in this thread yesterday to see if it was a legitimate question... It was, I was disappointed, I moved on. What the hell happened while I was gone?!

Here's my obligatory source of pretentiousness since everyone's doing it. Hey y'all, I have a degree in physics! Aren't I just the best?

Now excuse the rest of my grammar mistakes going forward because I are scientist.

Moving on... As a teacher, it's incredibly disheartening to hear people question our (USA's) education system. Yes, there are some incredibly incompetent individuals standing in front of your children for 6-8 hours a day. Rest assured there are also some individuals who are incredibly dedicated to what they do and pour everything they have into fostering an environment that is conducive to learning for your child.

Yes, there are some serious flaws within education. No, we're not doing the best job of working out the kinks. Then again, most institutions are not well oiled machines, just look at our government! Your taxes go to that sh*tshow too!

No one wants to hear that their kid may be the biggest contributing factor of these issues. I won't go into it because I'm not trying to ruffle too many feathers but maybe we need to start looking at ourselves and our practices before we try and place the blame on someone else.

And now I'll leave you with the following: not everyone deserves a trophy for participating, kids should not be praised for hanging up their coats, and the world still needs blacksmiths.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When this thread first popped up, I glazed over it. Later, I saw all the comments and curiosity compelled me to read it. Love when this happens! OP, you're probably scratching your head right now!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I have to ask...

I saw absolutely nothing in LAWoman's original post that was condescending or nasty, simply calling out person A who was having a go at Person B for something that they themselves may not be perfect at, whilst giving a reasonable explanation as to why person A may not be deserving of ridicule.

She used a lot of words. OK. But how on earth does that make it condescending or in any way less valid? Why on earth is someone being attacked for using more than "LOLBROUSODUM!1!!!1!" which is what covers most of the internet.

Are people really that threatened or intimidated by simple words, or is there some deeper axe grinding going on? I kind of hope it's the latter...

Cliffs?
  • LAWoman72
    edited March 2015
    Options
    daynes23 wrote: »
    Stopped in this thread yesterday to see if it was a legitimate question... It was, I was disappointed, I moved on. What the hell happened while I was gone?!

Here's my obligatory source of pretentiousness since everyone's doing it. Hey y'all, I have a degree in physics! Aren't I just the best?

Now excuse the rest of my grammar mistakes going forward because I are scientist.

Moving on... As a teacher, it's incredibly disheartening to hear people question our (USA's) education system. Yes, there are some incredibly incompetent individuals standing in front of your children for 6-8 hours a day. Rest assured there are also some individuals who are incredibly dedicated to what they do and pour everything they have into fostering an environment that is conducive to learning for your child.

Yes, there are some serious flaws within education. No, we're not doing the best job of working out the kinks. Then again, most institutions are not well oiled machines, just look at our government! Your taxes go to that sh*tshow too!

No one wants to hear that their kid may be the biggest contributing factor of these issues. I won't go into it because I'm not trying to ruffle too many feathers but maybe we need to start looking at ourselves and our practices before we try and place the blame on someone else.

And now I'll leave you with the following: not everyone deserves a trophy for participating, kids should not be praised for hanging up their coats, and the world still needs blacksmiths.

As a parent, I agree with you.

I absolutely love our school system (in my town, I mean). Our teachers do a wonderful job - hell, I can hardly juggle two children; they're juggling 28 of them. Per period! I thank my kids' teachers often. And we parents honor them and give them presents on their birthdays and so on, because what they do means a lot.

I could NEVER have the patience of a teacher, I'd probably he tying them all to their chairs by the end of the day. Therefore, I chose a different vocation than teaching, LOL.

P.s. The world still needs blacksmiths??? Maybe I'll change my vocation after all.
  • Michaelxo444
    Michaelxo444 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have no idea I'm new to fitness stuff lol

That is really not anything to do with fitness stuff :neutral_face:
    Okay and?
  • Michaelxo444
    Options
    I have no idea I'm new to fitness stuff lol

You're soooo pretty. ;)

Thanks lol
  • Michaelxo444
    Options
    Who took the Time to reply thanks I didn't read all these comments I haven't been on here in like days
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote:
    One day I'm expecting to make that next quantum leap and outdo myself
    by figuring out how that becomes actual ounces given there are 16 ounces in a pound.
    Multiply the decimal you have by 16 to get ounces.
    If you want to know 1/10 of a pound (0.1), multiply 0.1 x 16 = 1.6 oz = 0.1 lb
    That's an easy one, just move the decimal point.
    0.2 of a pound is 0.2 x 16 = 3.2 oz
    And so on.

That works for anything, BTW.
    If you want to know what something's sale price is, and it's 40% off, you could do it 2 ways.

What I think is the easy way is to realize that at 40% off, the actual cost is 60% of the normal price (100%-40%=60%), so multiply the normal price by 60% (0.6).
    Say for example if it's normally $8, multiply by 0.6 to get $4.80.
    (Remember your times tables? Six times eight is...? Forty-eight. And since there's one number to the right of the decimal, you have to move the decimal in the answer one place to the left.)

The other way is to multiply the normal price by the 40% to find the amount off, then subtract that from the normal price.
    $8 x 0.4 = $3.20
    $8 - $3.20 = $4.80

Until Saturday, I worked at a retail store. It astonished me how MANY customers would come to me with a product which was labelled as being $9.99 per unit, tell me there's a sign saying it's 40% off, then ask me how much it cost.
    These are supposedly adults, and they can't do very simple grade-school math.
    It doesn't get much easier than an even 10% (20, 30, 40, 50) off $10.
    I tried VERY hard to keep a straight face & not let my true feelings show in my voice as I explained (over and over and over), "Ten dollars minus four dollars is six dollars."
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    LAWoman72 wrote:
    One day I'm expecting to make that next quantum leap and outdo myself
    by figuring out how that becomes actual ounces given there are 16 ounces in a pound.
    Multiply the decimal you have by 16 to get ounces.
    If you want to know 1/10 of a pound (0.1), multiply 0.1 x 16 = 1.6 oz = 0.1 lb
    That's an easy one, just move the decimal point.
    0.2 of a pound is 0.2 x 16 = 3.2 oz
    And so on.

That works for anything, BTW.
    If you want to know what something's sale price is, and it's 40% off, you could do it 2 ways.

What I think is the easy way is to realize that at 40% off, the actual cost is 60% of the normal price (100%-40%=60%), so multiply the normal price by 60% (0.6).
    Say for example if it's normally $8, multiply by 0.6 to get $4.80.
    (Remember your times tables? Six times eight is...? Forty-eight. And since there's one number to the right of the decimal, you have to move the decimal in the answer one place to the left.)

The other way is to multiply the normal price by the 40% to find the amount off, then subtract that from the normal price.
    $8 x 0.4 = $3.20
    $8 - $3.20 = $4.80

Until Saturday, I worked at a retail store. It astonished me how MANY customers would come to me with a product which was labelled as being $9.99 per unit, tell me there's a sign saying it's 40% off, then ask me how much it cost.
    These are supposedly adults, and they can't do very simple grade-school math.
    It doesn't get much easier than an even 10% (20, 30, 40, 50) off $10.
    I tried VERY hard to keep a straight face & not let my true feelings show in my voice as I explained (over and over and over), "Ten dollars minus four dollars is six dollars."

I was actually only being facetious there, LOL, I do know how to do this calculation. I am very, very bad at math, but not quite this bad! I think my sense of humor is a bit overly-dry at times and I forget ( or I guess I should say that I overlook) that you can't see another person's expressions, etc. over the internet. So, sorry about that. But thanks for posting the steps here and for taking the time to give a full explanation.

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Has anyone looked at their profile?

125.6 & wants to lose 17 more pounds & they're a 22 year old male?
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Burt_Huttz wrote: »
    In some countries they use commas as the decimal mark, so this isn't as strange as it may sound.

Agreed. New York is part of England isn't it?

England uses decimal points, not commas.

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

Let's not leap to the conclusion that OP isn't actually trying to gain 17 pounds and didn't find the goal set-up confusing
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

Are you seeing double? There is only one of him.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Chezzie84 wrote: »

Europeans seem to write numbers like 1.000,00 while everyone else seems to write 1,000.00, I dislike it when trying to use excel, treating it as text instead of a number :smile:

Europeans write numbers the same as everyone else
    thousand is 1,000 and one and a half is 1.5
    Not sure where the idea of European and American scales has come from

Because on the continent we use the comma as the decimal separator. Etc...
    England is wierd. :wink:

DecimalSeparator.svg

I love this map so much!

I switch back and forth a lot as most Spanish-speaking countries use commas instead of decimal points, but I wasn't aware of the full extent of the issue.

<3

ETA: on second glance...I'm not sure that Central America is entirely correct. Hmmm.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Are you seeing double? There is only one of him.

If you are referring to Kelly using they're in that sentence... She is grammatically correct. Well to a degree in third person. I knew what she meant. :expressionless: