Pet Peeves @ Gym l v

Options

Replies

• krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Nope, because it's not my business what other people choose to do. They are in charge of their health, not me.

The only time i get mad is when people "hold" equipment that others are waiting to use and they aren't actually using it.
    I.E. they set their bag on the machine and walked away, they aren't performing any exercise and are chatting, they are texting/surfing the web on their phone. In these scenarios i just kindly ask them if i can jump in really quick.

Some people on their phones are resting between sets on weight machines. It's okay to ask to work in, though. They might or might not let you depending on how long their rest period is.

I agree that holding a treadmill is rude.

EDIT: I have been corrected. Not literally HOLDING ONTO the treadmill, but reserving it - got it. :p
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Nope, because it's not my business what other people choose to do. They are in charge of their health, not me.

The only time i get mad is when people "hold" equipment that others are waiting to use and they aren't actually using it.
    I.E. they set their bag on the machine and walked away, they aren't performing any exercise and are chatting, they are texting/surfing the web on their phone. In these scenarios i just kindly ask them if i can jump in really quick.

Some people on their phones are resting between sets on weight machines. It's okay to ask to work in, though. They might or might not let you depending on how long their rest period is.

Holding a treadmill is rude? To whom? The treadmill?

It was build to handle it, I assure you. Does it actually offend you that someone who many not be as strong or as fit needs to lean on the handles for a while? That's kind of sad.

No! I meant saving it with putting a duffel bag on it! Not holding onto it.

• mommymissy82
    mommymissy82 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Wow , some people should just read the post and move along. OP was just asking a simple question, you have no answer that pertains, move along. We all judge, observe, criticize and just plain have thoughts of others that may not be the most positive so don't pretend you don't.
  • krysmuree
    edited March 2015
    Options

Holding a treadmill is rude? To whom? The treadmill?

It was build to handle it, I assure you. Does it actually offend you that someone who many not be as strong or as fit needs to lean on the handles for a while? That's kind of sad.

No! I meant saving it with putting a duffel bag on it! Not holding onto it.

Oh! I was like, what?! OP thought it was cringe-worthy to actually hold onto the handles of a treadmill; I totally agree it's rude to RESERVE a treadmill and walk away, haha. :p
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I just came back from the gym where I experienced my only pet peeve.

The dreaded cloud of cloying body spray.

I'd rather smell body odor, frankly.

Well, it annoys me when people leave dumbbells laying on the floor instead of putting them back too. This applies to plates left laying around in other areas as well. I go to an LA Fitness, and the cardio area is upstairs. Someone carried some plates upstairs and left them there???? What? But those are only minor annoyances. It's the body spray that really bugs.

I saw some pretty bizarre stuff at L.A. fitness. I wasn't judging them, but it was sure fun to watch during my monotonous cardio upstairs.

I remember one man who always did crossfit (maybe it was crossfit? LOL) style exercises. For example, downstairs there are a few benches (like, for sitting) located throughout the gym. He would steal the bench for himself, flop it over, pile 45lb plates on it, and then push it up and down the rows of weight equipment. It would pretty much destroy the padding on the benches and sometimes it would snag the carpet and just drag it all over the place. He was asked to stop almost every time he did this.

I also saw him with a bar he stole from the bench press, loaded up with weight, and he would press it overhead and then run up and down the stairs to the cardio area with it. This was of course dangerous for himself and others and was always asked to stop.

He would also grab a 45lb plate and run up and down the stairs in intervals.

I mean, there were some things he did that were ridiculous looking and pretty dangerous, but i just found it amusing. Even still, not judging, it was clearly working for him cause he was shredded than a ****.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When I was rehabbing with my hip surgery I held the rails on the treadmill as my hip could (and had) randomly popped out of socket with no warning. Not holding on could (and had) resulted into a nasty fall. I fell off the treadmill with bruises, and cuts ontop of a dislocated hip. Ever fly off a treadmill? I can tell you it sucks, if anyone judged me for it as far as I'm concerned they can go *kitten* themselves.

Other than basic gym etiquette and hygiene things I don't care what others do.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Aaaaand....this is why I exercise at home and stay away from gyms.

I understand being annoyed at people who don't put equipment back, don't wipe equipment down or do other things that would negatively impact your workout. But I don't really need to know that I'm making people "cringe" if I hold on to the rails of the treadmill, or am otherwise not working out up to their "standards". (Exception: if I'm doing something wrong that can result in an injury and someone wants to make me aware of that fact).

And by the way...I don't do it now, but when I first started and was terribly out of shape, yes, I did hold on to the rails.

I hope you didn't pass out from that revelation, delicate flower.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Editing to clarify that I mean saving a treadmill by putting stuff on it, not holding onto it. I don't care if you hold onto it.

I meant people who have been sitting on it with their phone in hand for 15 minutes. I usually go do something else and if they're still there when i get back i just ask if i can go in. They'll either tell me they have x more sets or they'll be like OH, YEAH, IM AT A GYM, i forgot because i was down the rabbithole on facebook.
  • Boganella
    Boganella Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It makes me cringe that people go to the gym to check out what other people are doing on any machine and not worrying about their own work out.

And I hold the handles on the treadmill because I have MS and that comes with the occasional gait problems. But thanks for judging people you don't know
  • MizzMaamI1
    MizzMaamI1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Wow , some people should just read the post and move along. OP was just asking a simple question, you have no answer that pertains, move along. We all judge, observe, criticize and just plain have thoughts of others that may not be the most positive so don't pretend you don't.

Thank you! ♡
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Not in the gym I don't.

Unless you're drenched in body spray.

Then I'm gonna judge the everloving crap out of you.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Well, it annoys me when people leave dumbbells laying on the floor instead of putting them back too. This applies to plates left laying around in other areas as well. I go to an LA Fitness, and the cardio area is upstairs. Someone carried some plates upstairs and left them there???? What? But those are only minor annoyances. It's the body spray that really bugs.

I saw some pretty bizarre stuff at L.A. fitness. I wasn't judging them, but it was sure fun to watch during my monotonous cardio upstairs.

I remember one man who always did crossfit (maybe it was crossfit? LOL) style exercises. For example, downstairs there are a few benches (like, for sitting) located throughout the gym. He would steal the bench for himself, flop it over, pile 45lb plates on it, and then push it up and down the rows of weight equipment. It would pretty much destroy the padding on the benches and sometimes it would snag the carpet and just drag it all over the place. He was asked to stop almost every time he did this.

I also saw him with a bar he stole from the bench press, loaded up with weight, and he would press it overhead and then run up and down the stairs to the cardio area with it. This was of course dangerous for himself and others and was always asked to stop.

I mean, there were some things he did that were ridiculous looking and pretty dangerous, but i just found it amusing. Even still, not judging, it was clearly working for him cause he was shredded than a ****.

I can't believe that's all they did was ask him to stop, when he's ruining their equipment, building, and risking serious injury to himself and others
  • krysmuree
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Same. Lots of judgment, everywhere, for overuse of body spray. Bleh.

I don't judge anyone at the gym except in a positive manner. The only time I look at anyone else is when I think, "Damn it, move faster, me - I want legs like hers! Look at those legs!", not to judge what they're doing wrong or how irritating it is. I just don't.

So don't pretend you know everyone's inner thoughts.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

He sounds like an interesting guy. I love watching the people downstairs when I'm in the cardio area.

There's a guy at mine who does plyometrics on the stairs and he's... wobbly on his landings. He makes me so nervous.

• rainbowbow
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I can't believe that's all they did was ask him to stop, when he's ruining their equipment, building, and risking serious injury to himself and others

Yeah. We worked out on the same days (tues, thursday, sundays) around the same time so i saw him almost everytime i was there.

He did some other really strange things that i question the effectiveness on, but those were the ones i think are the most dangerous. They asked him to stop, and yet almost every week, he was there doing it again.

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    No, I'm bothered more by judgemental d-bags who can't get over themselves long enough for a single gym session. But that's just my opinion.

That, and people who don't wipe down the machines after using them. Oh, and also the women who pile all their stuff into a changing stall and THEN go have a shower.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Boganella wrote: »
    It makes me cringe that people go to the gym to check out what other people are doing on any machine and not worrying about their own work out.

Except that sometimes when people occupy but dont use machines because they are too busy on their phone, then they hold your own workout up.

• rainbowbow
    Options

He sounds like an interesting guy. I love watching the people downstairs when I'm in the cardio area.

There's a guy at mine who does plyometrics on the stairs and he's... wobbly on his landings. He makes me so nervous.

He also wore the most awesome looking workout gear. Like short short, knee high socks, sweat band on his head, sweat bands on his wrists, and a 20kg weighted vest.

:P
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Velum_cado wrote: »
    No, I'm bothered more by judgemental d-bags who can't get over themselves long enough for a single gym session. But that's just my opinion.

That, and people who don't wipe down the machines after using them. Oh, and also the women who pile all their stuff into a changing stall and THEN go have a shower.

Your gym has change stalls? Ours doesn't even have shower stalls <grumbles at her gym under her breath>
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Is it frowned upon to knock one out after I hit a PR as long as I don't do it in the squat rack?