weighing your self

Options
kaylamnm3
kaylamnm3 Posts: 23
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys, I'm on day four using this, I'm wondering if I should continue weighing myself every day? Since I've began I've lost 2.7 pounds!!! Should I continue weighing in or stop? Thanks for any advice!!!!

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i used to weigh myself daily. now i do once a week.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    and dont expect your weight loss to continue like that. youre just losing water weight at this point, most likely.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If the constant up and down fluctuations won't bother you, then keep with it. Some people can't handle seeing the numbers jump up, so they stick with weekly or less. The only part that matters is that you do it in a consistent setting (generally first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom and before eating/drinking, and with the same clothes).
  • kaylamnm3
    Options
    Is the motivation still there? I'm afaid if I weigh once a week I won't be as excited to wake up and continue on this journey. When I weigh myself and see i lost that what has been making me push myself more bc I wanna see those numbers drop
  • kaylamnm3
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Malibu927 well my numbers have yet to fluctuate in fact their just going down more and more I believe that's where I'm getting my motivation from I've never been this determined to lose weigh more then I am now
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    kaylamnm3 wrote: »
    Is the motivation still there? I'm afaid if I weigh once a week I won't be as excited to wake up and continue on this journey. When I weigh myself and see i lost that what has been making me push myself more bc I wanna see those numbers drop

if you want to lose weight, you keep doing what you need to do. weight fluctuates. up, down,. stays the same, etc.
  • kaylamnm3
    Options

if you want to lose weight, you keep doing what you need to do. weight fluctuates. up, down,. stays the same, etc.

Thanks good to know!!! I think for now I will continue to weigh in everyday maybe for two weeks and then after that I'll do it weekely for two weeks and see where I stand then. I appreciate the feed back!! Your awesome!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Malibu927 well my numbers have yet to fluctuate in fact their just going down more and more I believe that's where I'm getting my motivation from I've never been this determined to lose weigh more then I am now

You've just started out so you're experiencing that initial whoosh of water weight. It'll slow down eventually and you'll see it go up and down dependent on a variety of factors (sodium intake, hormones, exercise changes, stress, sleep, etc). Most women gain water weight around their period or ovulation. Once you have a few months under your belt, you'll better be able to read the fluctuations. As long as the trend remains downward, then you're doing fine.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily to prove to myself that weightloss isn't linear.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week on sunday. Usually this journey takes a long time, so it's easier to plan out my meals and goals (weightloss, calories, workouts) and then i weigh in on sunday to see if i met my goal.

Also i don't workout for 2 days before i weigh in otherwise my weight fluctuates up to 5 pounds in water.

edited to add: it's easier for me to also look at my goals on a weekly basis because i can say "I met my goal this week!" instead of thinking about how i hadn't met my ENTIRE goal yet. Keeps motivation up to say "I did it!" instead of "look how much more i have to go"
  • kaylamnm3
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

You've just started out so you're experiencing that initial whoosh of water weight. It'll slow down eventually and you'll see it go up and down dependent on a variety of factors (sodium intake, hormones, exercise changes, stress, sleep, etc). Most women gain water weight around their period or ovulation. Once you have a few months under your belt, you'll better be able to read the fluctuations. As long as the trend remains downward, then you're doing fine.

Thanks. I totally didn't even think about the water weight or even my weight fluctuating during the time of ovulation or AF coming (those are gna be the worst lol). So glad I asked bc knowing me if I saw the scale going up rather then staying the same or becoming less I would lose my motivation fast I have struggled with my weight for a long time so I have it in my head nothing is gna change and I'll never be under 200 pounds .. I wanna keep this excitement up so I can reach my goals eventually
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you chart the weight so you understand about fluctuations. It will not stay at that rate and its wise to get used to the fact that the rate of loss will slow. Of it motivates you then keep doing it, but think about when it slows or goes the other way and how you will deal with that. Used in the right way it can provide an incentive.
  • kaylamnm3
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I weigh myself once a week on sunday. Usually this journey takes a long time, so it's easier to plan out my meals and goals (weightloss, calories, workouts) and then i weigh in on sunday to see if i met my goal.

Also i don't workout for 2 days before i weigh in otherwise my weight fluctuates up to 5 pounds in water.

edited to add: it's easier for me to also look at my goals on a weekly basis because i can say "I met my goal this week!" instead of thinking about how i hadn't met my ENTIRE goal yet. Keeps motivation up to say "I did it!" instead of "look how much more i have to go"

What is your weekly goal? And if you don't meet that goal do you add on what ever your lacking to the weeks following? I actually like the idea of setting a weekly goal!! But I'm new to everything so Idk what is even reasonable!!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    my weight is a pretty consistent 2 pound a week loss EXCEPT during AF... then i want to eat ALL THE THINGS! and the scale doesnt move. lolol
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Um sometimes I weigh like my profile pic shows. Have fun with it....especially during the summer :-)
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If it motivates you, go for it. Weighing everyday is not for everyone because of fluctuations. I weigh myself once every 2-3 weeks.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ugh, period water weight sucks. Be warned when that hits. I got so excited the two days when I didn't gain any weight. I kept exercising, stayed with my 1200 cal diet... I gained 6-8lbs. I only finally just got rid of that [period stopped two days ago], plus one pound. Don't let it put you off!
  • kaylamnm3
    Options
    my weight is a pretty consistent 2 pound a week loss EXCEPT during AF... then i want to eat ALL THE THINGS! and the scale doesnt move. lolol

Lol that would be my problem as well haha!!! So I guess starting tomorrow since Sunday is the first day of the week I will weigh myself and set a goal and then ill wait till the following Sunday to weigh in lol I have a feeling that is gna be really hard to do bc I wanna know if I'm losing haha
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    just weigh yourself daily at the same time. Preferably the morning after you wake up..
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I try to remember that weighing is just the MANY ways we gage our progress. Feeling how our clothes feel is another.