weighing your self

Options

Replies

• Milotic2015
    Milotic2015 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I weigh my self daily, If there is a weight loss then i record it on here If there isn't then i don't record nothing. I lost 4 lbs in my first week. (all water weight) i've been staying put at 236 for a week now. I know i will get down to my goal weight. When i hit 200 lbs that is when i'm gonna start weighing myself Weekly, But for now i wanna know the jumps on the scale.
  • Milotic2015
    Options
    I weigh my self daily, If there is a weight loss then i record it on here If there isn't then i don't record nothing. I lost 4 lbs in my first week. (all water weight) i've been staying put at 236 for a week now. I know i will get down to my goal weight. When i hit 200 lbs that is when i'm gonna start weighing myself Weekly, But for now i wanna know the jumps on the scale.
  • kaylamnm3
    kaylamnm3 Posts: 23
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    Ugh, period water wait sucks. Be warned when that hits. I got so excited the two days when I didn't gain any weight. I kept exercising, stayed with my 1200 cal diet... I gained 6-8lbs. I only finally just got rid of that [period stopped two days ago], plus one pound. Don't let it put you off!
    Thanks girl I will definitely try my hardest to not let that get me down!!! I haven't had a period in couple months thanks to my birth control (sarcasm) ugh so I know when my next one hits it will be pretty ugly!!!! I just gotta remember to not let it effects me!!!
  • kaylamnm3
    Options
    If it motivates you, go for it. Weighing everyday is not for everyone because of fluctuations. I weigh myself once every 2-3 weeks.

how much weight do you approximately Lose during this time frame?

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    kaylamnm3 wrote: »
    Thanks girl I will definitely try my hardest to not let that get me down!!! I haven't had a period in couple months thanks to my birth control (sarcasm) ugh so I know when my next one hits it will be pretty ugly!!!! I just gotta remember to not let it effects me!!!
    It really made me worried for my progress. But remember to stick with it! And beware the usual cravings. So hard to resist that chocolate. /budgeted her calories for it
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I weigh myself once a week on sunday. Usually this journey takes a long time, so it's easier to plan out my meals and goals (weightloss, calories, workouts) and then i weigh in on sunday to see if i met my goal.

Also i don't workout for 2 days before i weigh in otherwise my weight fluctuates up to 5 pounds in water.

edited to add: it's easier for me to also look at my goals on a weekly basis because i can say "I met my goal this week!" instead of thinking about how i hadn't met my ENTIRE goal yet. Keeps motivation up to say "I did it!" instead of "look how much more i have to go"

What is your weekly goal? And if you don't meet that goal do you add on what ever your lacking to the weeks following? I actually like the idea of setting a weekly goal!! But I'm new to everything so Idk what is even reasonable!!!

I set my goal according to how much i have to lose.

If you have a significant amount of weight to lose you will probably be good for 2 pounds per week. I believe the goal is something like 1% of bodyweight.

I.E. if you are 200 pounds it's safe to lose 2 pounds per week, 150 pounds is safe to lose 1.5 pounds per week, etc. So as you get closer to your goal weight you will be losing less and less each week.

So at the beginning of the week i say "Okay, i am planning on losing 1 pound this week". I say "my goal is to eat x amount of calories per day" and "hit the gym 3 times". So at the end of the week i just track what i did.

So i'll say "okay this week i only hit the gym 2 times. I better make sure to hit the gym all 3 times next week!" or "i only lost .5 pounds, better make sure to stick better to my calories next week!"

The goal here is to treat each week like it was a brand new cycle. You set new goals for yourself, and any past week's mistakes are obsolved. This way you don't spiral into the "i already did bad, might as well continue". No, each week i start over as if from scratch.
  • kaylamnm3
    Options
    I feel like I'll never get out of the 200s ugh it's so frustrating but if I continue this I know can do it
  • kaylamnm3
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    I try to remember that weighing is just the MANY ways we gage our progress. Feeling how our clothes feel is another.

Very true, I don't feel a difference yet but I'm hoping soon I will!!!
  • kaylamnm3
    Options
    hhnkhl wrote: »
    just weigh yourself daily at the same time. Preferably the morning after you wake up..
    I've Been weighing once I wake up after I pee lol and I make sure I'm.naked tmi lol but it's the truth
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself when I feel like it. Sometimes it's a few times a week and sometimes it's once a week and sometimes I forget for awhile. It's not consistent but at least when I get on the scale I'm going on it with a good mindset.

Just note that whatever you do, there are daily fluctuations, muscle weighs more than fat, and don't go just by what the scale says see how you feel in your clothes and overall!
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    hhnkhl wrote: »
    just weigh yourself daily at the same time. Preferably the morning after you wake up..
    I've Been weighing once I wake up after I pee lol and I make sure I'm.naked tmi lol but it's the truth

that's how I do it too lol
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Is the motivation still there? I'm afaid if I weigh once a week I won't be as excited to wake up and continue on this journey. When I weigh myself and see i lost that what has been making me push myself more bc I wanna see those numbers drop

If weighing yourself every day is what works for you, then do that by all means. BUT don't let any increase get you down because fluctuations happen. They're supposed to happen because that's how the human body works. Your weight never stays the same, it changes throughout the day. Another warning, don't push too hard to lose weight, be happy...be very happy if you're losing 0.5 lbs a week. It isn't a challenge to see what the most you can lose every day is.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It motivates me. :) Even when I see an increase, it tells me I need to drink more water, watch my calories more closely and sweat it out. I weigh daily, to see the fluctuations. The scale isn't my enemy. There will come a time where you continually "gain" or don't lose at all; that can be very disheartening if the scale is your sole motivation. But it can be good if you can look critically at the scale and use it for good. :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always told not to count the first 4 pounds in weight loss because the first 4 pounds are just water weight.

ETA: I weigh myself once a week but I'm thinking about weighing myself every day in April to see if it will aid in my weight loss.
  • lalawaterlala
    lalawaterlala Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You can weigh yourself once a month, once a week, or once a day. It's all up to you. The important thing is to not let the numbers rule your life. How your clothes fit is important and your weight can change daily by 2 pounds or more depending on how much water your body is retaining. Your body can retain body from excessive sodium intake, dehydration, and your menstrual cycle.
    I personally go CRAZY if I was myself every single day because the numbers may be even higher than they were the previous day. I weigh myself once every few days and don't let the numbers rule my life
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always told not to count the first 4 pounds in weight loss because the first 4 pounds are just water weight.

ETA: I weigh myself once a week but I'm thinking about weighing myself every day in April to see if it will aid in my weight loss.

Water weight is still weight, IMO. It's not fat loss, but it's the a number on the scale that makes up your weight. I counted it. I'm constantly gaining and losing water weight, so I see no difference. If the scale is less, I count it. :p
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Its still weight just recognise it for what it is.

• AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I think how often someone weighs themselves is different for each person (as we can see) because each person has a different 'relationship' with the scale. If waking up to see the number on the scale excites and motivates you - then do it daily. If it becomes a burden, or you feel devastated every-time you see a fluctuation in the wrong direction, then you should stop. I know for me, then I find it more motivating to weight in each day. It helped me to actually understand my body better. If I see an uptick I can figure out it is from having a lot of sodium the day before, or my monthly visitor is on it's way, etc. I also found out that for my own body the results I see on the scale today weren't directly associated with the workout I put in yesterday - it was actually the results from the day before or cumulative results of the two days before yesterday. There came a time when I could also tell when I woke up that I was going to have a great loss on the scale. These things were just amusing for me and of course that translated into motivation. I would recommend you also find other motivators, such as daily pictures, measurements, how yow feel in your clothing; these other motivators will offset any disappointment you may experience on the scale.
  • Milotic2015
    Options
    I feel like I'll never get out of the 200s ugh it's so frustrating but if I continue this I know can do it

I feel like that also. But I keep reminding myself why i wanted to lose weight in the first place and i also tell myself: It Took a while to gain this weight so it's gonna take a while to lose it. But one day i will be under 200 lbs as long as i don't give up.

Keep at it girl, I know you can do it. Just remember what everone has said and stay strong. Set mini Goals for yourself, Mine is to Be more active everyday, And Make sure i count my Calories and Excersises. Even if it's Raking the lawn, or Doing dishes or Laundry, I count everything whether it's on here or in my notebook. If i can't log an excersise on here then i log it in my notebook.
  • kaylamnm3
    Options
    Is the motivation still there? I'm afaid if I weigh once a week I won't be as excited to wake up and continue on this journey. When I weigh myself and see i lost that what has been making me push myself more bc I wanna see those numbers drop

If weighing yourself every day is what works for you, then do that by all means. BUT don't let any increase get you down because fluctuations happen. They're supposed to happen because that's how the human body works. Your weight never stays the same, it changes throughout the day. Another warning, don't push too hard to lose weight, be happy...be very happy if you're losing 0.5 lbs a week. It isn't a challenge to see what the most you can lose every day is.

Thanks, I'm grateful for any ounce that is lost bc I have struggled with my weight for a long time, I know eventually when I start to gain more muscle my weight is gna probably increase witch is totally ok, as long as I'm gaining muscle Lol!!! I'm excited tho for every change that is yet to come!!!