weighing your self

Options

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I'm currently weighing myself daily so I can see those fluctuations and then I've got them graphed out so I can see if I'm going down, up or plateauing overall. I can also kind of predict what I'll see for weight loss based on what I see in the previous month. Once I'm maintaining within a certain range, I'll weigh 1-2 times per week.

Right now having the daily data is really helpful for me, so I'm sticking with it :)

~Lyssa
  • kaylamnm3
    kaylamnm3 Posts: 23
    Options
    kaylamnm3 wrote: »
    I weigh my self daily, If there is a weight loss then i record it on here If there isn't then i don't record nothing. I lost 4 lbs in my first week. (all water weight) i've been staying put at 236 for a week now. I know i will get down to my goal weight. When i hit 200 lbs that is when i'm gonna start weighing myself Weekly, But for now i wanna know the jumps on the scale.
    I feel like I'll never get out of the 200s ugh it's so frustrating but if I continue this I know can do it

I feel like that also. But I keep reminding myself why i wanted to lose weight in the first place and i also tell myself: It Took a while to gain this weight so it's gonna take a while to lose it. But one day i will be under 200 lbs as long as i don't give up.

Keep at it girl, I know you can do it. Just remember what everone has said and stay strong. Set mini Goals for yourself, Mine is to Be more active everyday, And Make sure i count my Calories and Excersises. Even if it's Raking the lawn, or Doing dishes or Laundry, I count everything whether it's on here or in my notebook. If i can't log an excersise on here then i log it in my notebook.

Thanks girl I will keep at it and continue this after my son I was my heaviest at 240 I'm currently at 218 so just seeing that difference is amazing I don't expect to be at my goal soon but I know if I push and push I'll reach it!!! I can't wait for that day!!!! I'm so glad I found MFP bc I am better understanding everything and I make sure to log everything !!! I love it
  • kaylamnm3
    Options
    AmerTunsi wrote: »
    I think how often someone weighs themselves is different for each person (as we can see) because each person has a different 'relationship' with the scale. If waking up to see the number on the scale excites and motivates you - then do it daily. If it becomes a burden, or you feel devastated every-time you see a fluctuation in the wrong direction, then you should stop. I know for me, then I find it more motivating to weight in each day. It helped me to actually understand my body better. If I see an uptick I can figure out it is from having a lot of sodium the day before, or my monthly visitor is on it's way, etc. I also found out that for my own body the results I see on the scale today weren't directly associated with the workout I put in yesterday - it was actually the results from the day before or cumulative results of the two days before yesterday. There came a time when I could also tell when I woke up that I was going to have a great loss on the scale. These things were just amusing for me and of course that translated into motivation. I would recommend you also find other motivators, such as daily pictures, measurements, how yow feel in your clothing; these other motivators will offset any disappointment you may experience on the scale.
    Great advise I most definitely will find my motivations outside of the scale, the feeling after a workout has been awesome for me, considering I hated working out, but the feeling I've been getting afterwards is amazing. I'm doing this alone, so to know I can ask on this app and there are so many more people who are in the same situation as me motivates me as well, to anyone if y'all read this feel free to add me I would love to keep up with people who are like me and are trying to reach a goal. Here I was THINking I'm alone but I'm truly not!!!
  • kaylamnm3
    Options
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always told not to count the first 4 pounds in weight loss because the first 4 pounds are just water weight.

ETA: I weigh myself once a week but I'm thinking about weighing myself every day in April to see if it will aid in my weight loss.

Lol well if my 2.7 pounds I've lost in these four days don't count imma make an exception for me haha weight is weight for me starting at 240 and being at 218 today I was a lil over 220 when I started this app 4 days ago I feel like every ounce lost is a reason to celebrate I wanna be below 200 so bad I lost my first weight on my own by myself no counting calories or logging anything it has taken me a while (since November2014) but now that I have this I can keep track of everything I feel like I'm starting over so the motivation is alive and like I said every ounce lost is a reason to keep going.
  • aromine20
    aromine20 Posts: 12
    Options
    STAY OFF THE SCALE!

That is setting yourself up for ups and downs emotionally which affects your weight loss within itself. :neutral_face: Pick a day weekly or biweekly to weigh in so that you don't catch yourself emotionally fluctuating with your fluctuating weight. That's natural. Everyone's weight fluctuates.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    NEVER weigh myself-don't own a scale.
  • kaylamnm3
    Options
    aromine20 wrote: »
    STAY OFF THE SCALE!

That is setting yourself up for ups and downs emotionally which affects your weight loss within itself. :neutral_face: Pick a day weekly or biweekly to weigh in so that you don't catch yourself emotionally fluctuating with your fluctuating weight. That's natural. Everyone's weight fluctuates.

Do you think I should stay off of it the scale if it isn't the enemy to me? I don't think the weight gain will effect me much, I do think it will push me to be better or to figure out what I could of possibly done wrong, but I am perfectly ok with the fluctuation of my weigh.
  • kaylamnm3
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »

So how do you keep up with any positive progress that is being made?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Malibu927 well my numbers have yet to fluctuate in fact their just going down more and more I believe that's where I'm getting my motivation from I've never been this determined to lose weigh more then I am now

What you've lost thus far is water weight. Weight loss is not linear, and weight naturally fluctuates.

In other words, if you step on the scale in the morning and see it go up one pound, that does not mean you've gained weight overnight, and it does not mean you've lost weight if the scale goes down one pound. It seems means you have a weight range.

Here's my example. I've been maintaining at about 139/140 for over a year. I stepped on the scale yesterday morning and was 141.2, but this morning I weighed in at 139.4. That's an almost 2 pound difference. Did I do something just right and magically lost weight over night? Not at all. My weight range right now, since I don't want to lose anymore weight, is between 139 and 142. That's okay with me. :)

Oh, and since you have so little to lose, you weight loss will slow down and you will see weeks where you might not lose anything at all, and other weeks you might lose more than you are supposed to. It just happens.

If you want to weight yourself every day, you must get used to the usual fluctuations. As long as your weight is on a downward movement, it's okay. You're doing everything just right.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »

So how do you keep up with any positive progress that is being made?

You can do that through measurements as well, and/or paying attention to how your clothes fit.

The number on the scale is just that- a number, and the number does not matter that much.
  • kaylamnm3
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Malibu927 well my numbers have yet to fluctuate in fact their just going down more and more I believe that's where I'm getting my motivation from I've never been this determined to lose weigh more then I am now

What you've lost thus far is water weight. Weight loss is not linear, and weight naturally fluctuates.

In other words, if you step on the scale in the morning and see it go up one pound, that does not mean you've gained weight overnight, and it does not mean you've lost weight if the scale goes down one pound. It seems means you have a weight range.

Here's my example. I've been maintaining at about 139/140 for over a year. I stepped on the scale yesterday morning and was 141.2, but this morning I weighed in at 139.4. That's an almost 2 pound difference. Did I do something just right and magically lost weight over night? Not at all. My weight range right now, since I don't want to lose anymore weight, is between 139 and 142. That's okay with me. :)

Oh, and since you have so little to lose, you weight loss will slow down and you will see weeks where you might not lose anything at all, and other weeks you might lose more than you are supposed to. It just happens.

If you want to weight yourself every day, you must get used to the usual fluctuations. As long as your weight is on a downward movement, it's okay. You're doing everything just right.

Thanks, even if I am just losing the water weight I'm perfectly okay with that! I have 18 more pounds to go to reach my first goal, it took me four months to lose 20 pounds, without keeping tract of anything just exercising only, and I've lost 2.7 pounds in 4 days exercising and actually seeing& keeping tract of what is going into my body, I hope I can continue to lose weight this way especially since now I know exactly how much to be eating and drinking Daily.
    I can't wait to be like you and have a weight range that I'm 100% okay with! Lots of hard work and dedication will get me there!!!! Thank you for the advice I appreciate it so much!!!
  • tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Every day, but only Friday counts.
  • elizabeth413watt
    elizabeth413watt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Friday morning and record it. I also weigh myself daily just to see how my body fluctuates especially with doing different things regarding eating and exercise. On Thursday I was like "I can't wait to weigh myself tomorrow morning" and my boyfriend was like "you weigh yourself everyday day." Haha
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Thanks, even if I am just losing the water weight I'm perfectly okay with that! I have 18 more pounds to go to reach my first goal, it took me four months to lose 20 pounds, without keeping tract of anything just exercising only, and I've lost 2.7 pounds in 4 days exercising and actually seeing& keeping tract of what is going into my body, I hope I can continue to lose weight this way especially since now I know exactly how much to be eating and drinking Daily.
    I can't wait to be like you and have a weight range that I'm 100% okay with! Lots of hard work and dedication will get me there!!!! Thank you for the advice I appreciate it so much!!!

My pleasure. :)
  • kaylamnm3
    Options
    tturley wrote: »
    Every day, but only Friday counts.

Lol why does only Friday count??
  • kaylamnm3
    Options
    I weigh myself every Friday morning and record it. I also weigh myself daily just to see how my body fluctuates especially with doing different things regarding eating and exercise. On Thursday I was like "I can't wait to weigh myself tomorrow morning" and my boyfriend was like "you weigh yourself everyday day." Haha
    Lol maybe I should Stoll weigh myself so I can keep up with my fluctuations but only record once a week... I like that idea!!! How funny tell him "dnt kill my vibe" haha jkjk
  • orlandodenise
    orlandodenise Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily ! I have to - its the only way for me to feel in control even if I gain. Ive lost 40 pound since Jan 1st and whilst I do have the odd gain my weigh is mostly same or down ward. I get excited too when I wake up. Its something to look forward to :)

If I do have the odd gain it motivates me to sharpen up on the weighing / accounting and also to work a little harder at the gym - what Ive not been doing ( but have in the past ) is using it as an excuse to give up !

I also want under 200 as my next goal :)
  • kwiatrtdy
    kwiatrtdy Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself twice a day, once when I wake up and once before I go to bed. Mostly it's just curiosity to see how my weight fluctuates throughout the day, and it shows you how much it does fluctuate. I only really pay attention to my Friday morning weight as my weekly weigh in.
  • kaylamnm3
    Options
    I weigh daily ! I have to - its the only way for me to feel in control even if I gain. Ive lost 40 pound since Jan 1st and whilst I do have the odd gain my weigh is mostly same or down ward. I get excited too when I wake up. Its something to look forward to :)

If I do have the odd gain it motivates me to sharpen up on the weighing / accounting and also to work a little harder at the gym - what Ive not been doing ( but have in the past ) is using it as an excuse to give up !

I also want under 200 as my next goal :)
    you can do it!!! I'm so proud and seriously so exited I have communicated one way or another with someone who is on the same path as me!!! You are so awesome thank you for the motivation!!! Also congratulations on your 40 pounds gone!!!! That's amazing

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday because I like the data points. You seem very hyped up because your weight is going down every day (very good!) but don't get down, and then start posting that you stalled and are gaining, when your weight goes up one day. In fact it will go up over a week, or sometimes two weeks or longer. When that happens don't say screw it and stop what you are doing.