Pet Peeves @ Gym l v

Options

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I work at a gym and at the end of my shift, when we're closing up, I put all the weights away. Sometimes it's a real workout. I do farmers walks with the plates and kettle bells. the only thing that really annoys me is when someone leaves a bar up on the squat rack and it's too heavy for me to lift down. I hate having to take weight off before I lift it (or even worse, asking someone else to lift it for me!)

I did have to ask someone to get off the rower the other day as she was sitting on it talking to her friend who was rowing.

The only people that I 'judge' are people who smell. Now, I've had a 'deodorant malfunction' before but I made sure I stayed away from everyone else and kept my arms down! The idea of someone thinking I smell horrifies me. When I walk past people and the smell is unbearable I do think that, in this day and age, where deodorant is both cheap and effective, there really is no need to be smelly.

I don't mind a fresh deodorant malfunction, but I lived in an apartment building that had a gym and a woman would be in there 2x a day and when I worked out at night, she would fill the room with her stale funk. It was so bad.
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    People.
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Same people on here talking about judging are probably in other threads sharing their pet peeves.
  • mccollum360
    Options
    Have 2. When I'm done with a tough workout and relaxing in the sauna don't talk on your cell phone. Leave the phone in your locker unless listening to music or something that doesn't interrupt others. Second is in our pool a group of women get together and have church choir practice. If I'm in church great
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    _QueenE_ wrote: »
    Same people on here talking about judging are probably in other threads sharing their pet peeves.

Who doesn't have pet peeves?
    My pet peeves relate to sanitary practices and overabundance of body spray, not how a person personally chooses to exercise.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My pet peeves at the gym are people who ask me if I'm using a bench or spot I stopped using like 5-10 minutes ago even though they clearly saw me move to a new spot (though they probably might be thinking I'm doing interval training), people who try to talk to me when I'm on the treadmill, people who try to talk to me for unnecessary long periods of time (unless they're a friend or someone I find interesting, that's rare though), people who get in my way of me looking at the mirror to see if I'm doing a particular exercise right and people who try to take my spot even when there is my bottle AND a towel on the machine or bench to indicate to people that I'm still using it.

Other than that, I don't really give a damn what other people do in the gym or what they wear....I'm more worried about myself. And no I'm not really antisocial, an introvert or shy; I'm actually an ambivert, I'm just really concentrated in my workout and don't have time to worry about petty things.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    -_-
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope, I care only about what I'm doing.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    MizzMaamI1 wrote: »
    Anybody else cringe when people hold the treadmill while walking/jogging and or on incline?

no reason to cringe at me, LOL! I hold on to the bar in the front especially when the incline gets steeper. why? because I do -- and not due to any health issue.
  • MizzMaamI1
    MizzMaamI1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Okay okay, I definitely used the wrong word here (cringe).

Not wiping equipment is what bothers me the most. I bring my own lysol wipes and always wipe before and after anyways but still.

• flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    To judge someone for something as simple as holding the treadmill while they bust out their exercise sounds terribly ableist and uses way too much energy (as others have said, what if they have medical reasons to hold on? Who are you to judge??)

I would much rather worry about general gym etiquette than what someone chooses to do for exercise or how they do it, unless it puts them or someone else in danger.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    My pet peeves at the gym are people who ask me if I'm using a bench or spot I stopped using like 5-10 minutes ago even though they clearly saw me move to a new spot (though they probably might be thinking I'm doing interval training), people who try to talk to me when I'm on the treadmill, people who try to talk to me for unnecessary long periods of time (unless they're a friend or someone I find interesting, that's rare though), people who get in my way of me looking at the mirror to see if I'm doing a particular exercise right and people who try to take my spot even when there is my bottle AND a towel on the machine or bench to indicate to people that I'm still using it.

Other than that, I don't really give a damn what other people do in the gym or what they wear....I'm more worried about myself. And no I'm not really antisocial, an introvert or shy; I'm actually an ambivert, I'm just really concentrated in my workout and don't have time to worry about petty things.

You shouldn't be saving the spot to begin with. If you aren't using it, it is not yours.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Okay okay, I definitely used the wrong word here (cringe).

Not wiping equipment is what bothers me the most. I bring my own lysol wipes and always wipe before and after anyways but still.

Totally agree. I'm a Lysol fiend too.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I'm much too busy hitting on random women that just got to the site to have time for sharing pet peeves
  • DavPul
    Options

You shouldn't be saving the spot to begin with. If you aren't using it, it is not yours.

He's not allowed to walk to the end of the rack to get heavier dumbbells? Or get a sip from the water fountain in the hallway?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

He's not allowed to walk to the end of the rack to get heavier dumbbells? Or get a sip from the water fountain in the hallway?

Not if it takes more than 60 seconds.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Anybody else cringe when people hold the treadmill while walking/jogging and or on incline?

Yep. I totally do this. Sorry I'm not as fit as you. You must be so awesome, which is...you know...just really, really cool.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

LOL people do it all the time and I don't complain...so you're telling me if I gotta use the bathroom and I'll be back in two minutes and I'm still not done with my exercise, I should relinquish my spot over to someone?.....LOL gtfo. That would be fine if I was just texting and someone wanted to get in on a workout with me but if I gotta use the bathroom and I'm not done with my exercise....nope.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Pet peeves at the gym?

1. When people don't re-rack their weights.

2. When a cloud of cologne/perfume wafts in my face.

3. When people don't wipe down their machines.

4. When these two guys (always the same two guys) plant themselves in a gap of space in the weight area and shout conversations at each other louder than my earbuds can block out.

Brings to mind a story -- though this isn't really a pet peeve, but rather curious -- about something that happened the other day.
    There's 3 stair climber machines at my gym, and I hopped on the only available one. To my right was a woman, and to her right was a man --both had been on them for a bit, before I got there. After I was done with my workout I hopped off to go grab a towel and spray, located like 2 steps away from the machines, to wipe down the stair climber. I turn around and saw that that girl hopped on the machine I was just on. Then she looked at me with a deadpan expression and shrugged. And I'm like....ok? Have fun with my sweat splayed all over the bars and console.
  • DavPul
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Not if it takes more than 60 seconds.

That's harsh