1,000 calorie exercises

Options

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    A stationary bicycle burns a ton of calories, and you can watch television while you do it. Two hours should easily burn 1,000 calories.

There is nothing "easy" about two hours on a stationary bike.

It's also highly unlikely someone could burn 500/hr on an exercise bike for that long.

In fact, your stationary bike recommendation sounds like some pretty terrible advise...

...and given the later revelations in the thread, any suggestion of how OP could go about this would have been inappropriate.

If only you would have had the courage to ask her why she wanted to before providing your response. Fortunately, someone else here was...even you did call him out for it.

Just as walking ten miles (which burns about 100 calories a mile) is easily done. IF you have the time. My stationary bike is similar to an elliptical; your arms move along with your legs. It works whether you only use your arms or legs, or both together. Except you get to sit instead of stand, which reduces pressure on the knees. It does not, however, do anything else, such as add stress or inclines.

I didn't say it was "easy" being on a stationary bike for two hours; I said that if it was done, it would "easily burn" 1,000 calories. Walking ten miles isn't "easy" either, but it does burn about 1,000 calories depending upon what you weigh.

The OP asked a question, and I and a few other people answered it without judgment.
  • DaveyNH
    DaveyNH Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Maybe she's like me and wants to do large burns to pay for a cheat meal. I tend to be conservative with my calculations. For me it would be an 8-9 mile run to burn 1,000 cals.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    c20,000m on the rower nets me about 1200 cals.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    A stationary bicycle burns a ton of calories, and you can watch television while you do it. Two hours should easily burn 1,000 calories.

It's also highly unlikely someone could burn 500/hr on an exercise bike for that long.

In fact, your stationary bike recommendation sounds like some pretty terrible advise...

...and given the later revelations in the thread, any suggestion of how OP could go about this would have been inappropriate.

If only you would have had the courage to ask her why she wanted to before providing your response. Fortunately, someone else here was...even you did call him out for it.

Just as walking ten miles (which burns about 100 calories a mile) is easily done. IF you have the time. My stationary bike is similar to an elliptical; your arms move along with your legs. It works whether you only use your arms or legs, or both together. Except you get to sit instead of stand, which reduces pressure on the knees. It does not, however, do anything else, such as add stress or inclines.

I didn't say it was "easy" being on a stationary bike for two hours; I said that if it was done, it would "easily burn" 1,000 calories. Walking ten miles isn't "easy" either, but it does burn about 1,000 calories depending upon what you weigh.

The OP asked a question, and I and a few other people answered it without judgment.

I think you mistook concern for judgement. OP is very young, lean to start with and is looking for ways to burn a drastic amount of calories. These are very concerning points and are the exact reason why people questioned why she is trying to burn so many calories.

I also agree, 1000 calories in 2 hours on a stationary bike is unlikely especially if you aren't increasing tension. It is also very mentally tough to do.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

I think you mistook concern for judgement. OP is very young, lean to start with and is looking for ways to burn a drastic amount of calories. These are very concerning points and are the exact reason why people questioned why she is trying to burn so many calories.

I also agree, 1000 calories in 2 hours on a stationary bike is unlikely especially if you aren't increasing tension. It is also very mentally tough to do.

She needs to be talking to her doctor, not a bunch of people on a weight-control website. You've had quite a few posts here, so you've been around the block a few times. Do people who ask questions like this actually end up doing it? Probably not. Maybe half a day. I personally don't think judgment has a place here unless someone asks for specific advice. Otherwise, I just give answers, not advice. Most of the people who ask these questions are not serious in their weight loss venture; just looking for a quick way out. When they are given answers which show there is NOT a quick way out, they usually give up. Or at least I never see them again.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    A 100 NET calorie burn from walking doesn't happen unless you're over 300 pounds. It's basic math. At the OP's current weight she doesn't burn 100 NET calories running a mile ... again, basic math. Her posts indicate that she wants to lose a lot of weight (as a percentage of her current) in a rapid manner. She is at a point where healthy loss takes patience ... wanting to lose 20 lbs when already at a healthy weight. Patience, realistic goals, and a healthy self image are necessary ... not blindly giving lists of exercise that burn a lot of calories but also require sufficient fueling to an OP with rapid loss as their primary goal.

There was one person in this thread that made judgmental comments, and it wasn't any of us that asked simple clarifying questions.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Why are you looking for exercises that burn 1000 calories?

This.

Why? If that's you in your profile picture, and your ticker is accurate then you don't need to be looking for 1000 calorie burns to lose 19 pounds. I mean if you want to start running a half marathon be my guest, but if you're doing it solely for weight loss, then you're doing it wrong.

You must be really young! Anyone over the age of 30 would know that's a picture from years before I was even born. Besides, I'm not looking for 1,000 calorie burns. I'm very happy with 5-600 a day.

*whispers*

I don't think they were referring to you.

sFhjpwH.gif

Looking for a 1000 calorie burn in someone so small really begs the question why. It's kind of important.
  • knichols2176
    knichols2176 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just food for thought?
    If I exercise aggressively, I get really hungry and risk sabotaging my diet. It makes me ravenously hungry! For all the sabotage foods!
    I agree with whoever said find something you like and incorporate into your day.
    I walk my dogs, push mow my 1/2 acre yard, garden, a few crunches twice a day, clean floors once a week on hands and knees.. Etc.
    a quote I always remind myself of.....

"You can never out excersize a bad diet"
    FYI....
    I'll say it for others.. Your goal weight is just slightly low..seems like you feel urgency?
    Doing anything aggressively and unhealthy leads to muscle loss and a lifetime of slower metabolism because of that muscle loss.
    At your weight, and height, 5-6 weeks would be reasonable to get to 118. A much more healthy goal. I'm an RN of 30 yrs. I wish you well, be safe!
  • Tzinn1992
    Tzinn1992 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't leave the gym until i have 1,000 calories burned
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

^This

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Derpes wrote: »

^This

This....

You don't need to slave away for two hours on anything to lose weight. Eat in moderation, exercise in moderation.

I burn about 350 calories a day, 5 days a week. It works.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

She needs to be talking to her doctor, not a bunch of people on a weight-control website. You've had quite a few posts here, so you've been around the block a few times. Do people who ask questions like this actually end up doing it? Probably not. Maybe half a day. I personally don't think judgment has a place here unless someone asks for specific advice. Otherwise, I just give answers, not advice. Most of the people who ask these questions are not serious in their weight loss venture; just looking for a quick way out. When they are given answers which show there is NOT a quick way out, they usually give up. Or at least I never see them again.

In your effort to avoid all judgment, it appears you have abandoned any discernment.

I'm also fascinated by your conclusions about what people seeking advice do or do not do.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    OP said she wants to lose weight as fast as possible, which is always a red flag.

Do it healthily and you won't gain it back after your birthday or whatever event you want to be slimmer for.
  • seantheking87
    seantheking87 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    To answer the original poster, I used to hit the cross trainer and just up my level and speed until the display read 1000cal/hr and just do it for an hour. I always found cross trainer the best calorie/difficulty ratio but I know some people struggle with it.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I once hit 1000 calorie burn. Once, just this past summer. It was on vacation in Lake Tahoe. Huge hotel buffet breakfast. Then three hours of hiking over rocks and hills. Then an enormous lunch and dinner later that day. It was a very enjoyable day. Exhausting, but lovely. But definitely not something I'd do on a regular basis.

OP, take what others in here have said, to heart. Aiming for a 1000 calorie burn is not necessary. Eat well, exercise well. But anything in excess is going to wear you out and backfire.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

In your effort to avoid all judgment, it appears you have abandoned any discernment.

I'm also fascinated by your conclusions about what people seeking advice do or do not do.

Well said.
  • Joel33mfp
    Joel33mfp Posts: 23
    Options
    I am 5'3 I want to be 110. My original goal was 118. If I like it there, I'll stop

Hi, everyone has their own idea of beauty, so if you like that very thin look then that's a good goal, but as a trainer I meet a lot of women who have the same sort if goals and end up much happier weighing in 5 pounds heavier but with added muscle. "More curves in the right places" your weigh classes will get you there and mix in cardio. There has been so many new studies showing that a mix of resistance training and no more then 30 minutes of cardio is the way to best results. Too many people think an hour plus of cardio will get the job done... It won't... As far as your 1000 cal burn... Most machines at the gym are way off. Most workouts that are really pushing you will give 300 to 400. But that's an average. One more thing to think about... Losing more then 2 pounds a week tends to leave you with extra lose skin and is not that safe. Slower is better.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am the same height as the OP and I weigh 25 pound MORE than she does. I wear a HRM and use a stationary bike 3-4 times a week and have for about 8 months. Going 9-11 MPH, I burn 350-400 calories per hour. OP is smaller than me, likely going to burn a bit less. So in addition to lacking discernment, you aren't giving her real accurate info either. Burning 1000 calories at her size is very hard to do and in all likelihood is only to spur on unhealthy motivations.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Why are you looking for exercises that burn 1000 calories?

Why are you questioning her instead of simply answering? That is, if you have an answer. If not, just go to the next post of interest. It isn't mandatory that you answer a post in a derogatory manner when you don't know how to play nice.

For this poster: if you feel a tingling in your backside, it may in fact be the legs of the bug that is up your *kitten*. Carry on.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    DaveyNH wrote: »
    Maybe she's like me and wants to do large burns to pay for a cheat meal. I tend to be conservative with my calculations. For me it would be an 8-9 mile run to burn 1,000 cals.

It's not a "cheat meal" if you're spending several hours burning it off.