1,000 calorie exercises

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    A stationary bicycle burns a ton of calories, and you can watch television while you do it. Two hours should easily burn 1,000 calories.

There is nothing "easy" about two hours on a stationary bike.

It's also highly unlikely someone could burn 500/hr on an exercise bike for that long.

In fact, your stationary bike recommendation sounds like some pretty terrible advise...

...and given the later revelations in the thread, any suggestion of how OP could go about this would have been inappropriate.

If only you would have had the courage to ask her why she wanted to before providing your response. Fortunately, someone else here was...even you did call him out for it.

Just as walking ten miles (which burns about 100 calories a mile) is easily done. IF you have the time. My stationary bike is similar to an elliptical; your arms move along with your legs. It works whether you only use your arms or legs, or both together. Except you get to sit instead of stand, which reduces pressure on the knees. It does not, however, do anything else, such as add stress or inclines.

I didn't say it was "easy" being on a stationary bike for two hours; I said that if it was done, it would "easily burn" 1,000 calories. Walking ten miles isn't "easy" either, but it does burn about 1,000 calories depending upon what you weigh.

The OP asked a question, and I and a few other people answered it without judgment.

I think you mistook concern for judgement. OP is very young, lean to start with and is looking for ways to burn a drastic amount of calories. These are very concerning points and are the exact reason why people questioned why she is trying to burn so many calories.

I also agree, 1000 calories in 2 hours on a stationary bike is unlikely especially if you aren't increasing tension. It is also very mentally tough to do.

She needs to be talking to her doctor, not a bunch of people on a weight-control website. You've had quite a few posts here, so you've been around the block a few times. Do people who ask questions like this actually end up doing it? Probably not. Maybe half a day. I personally don't think judgment has a place here unless someone asks for specific advice. Otherwise, I just give answers, not advice. Most of the people who ask these questions are not serious in their weight loss venture; just looking for a quick way out. When they are given answers which show there is NOT a quick way out, they usually give up. Or at least I never see them again.
    If someone asked how to commit suicide or become a junkie would you also just tell them how and move on?
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I burn about that running 12 miles, actually a little less.

But you can't run that distance and only eat 1200 cals a day.

And, weight isn't everything. I way about 10 pounds more than I did over the summer last year and still fit into the same size. I put on a ton of muscle running and strength training.
  • ajdemg
    ajdemg Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So is there a definitive list of what calories are burnt whilst walking? I use endomondo and on a 6.1 mile walk today it says I burnt 1224 calories walking at 2.9 mph in 2.08 hours. The first two miles were flat and uphill, the rest flat and downhill. MFP put it at 811. On a previous post someone said that all estimates are well out and they use a general 100 calories per mile so that is what I have been using the last 6 months.

I'm 40 and I'm at 267 pounds. I generally walk 1.5 miles each day, 3 miles 3 times a week and a 5-7 mile walk on Sundays.

I eat my calories back so am I correct in using 100 calories per mile or should it be more/less?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    The whys are reasonable because

1) Lean woman seeks to lose more
    a. fast
    b. urgent emotion
    2) Unrealistic "burn" goal
    3) Emotionally charged terminology "pig out" and a desperate need to atone via exercise.

Plus, we've had a rash of very disordered "requests for advice" lately. People are right to ask questions.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    For me that would mean 3hrs of intense cardio or cardio/strength intervalls.... At 5'2'' / 124lb and a low heart rate my average burn per hour is between 200-400cal, 400 being a quick and hilly run.
  • perplexed_penguin
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Fitness Blender has a few workout videos that could potentially burn around 1000 calories, depending on weight, effort, etc. I haven't tried the 1000 calorie workouts myself, but I have tried others and I found that they are easy to follow along and they have a wide variety of exercises. Here's the website, in case you wanted to check it out:
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/
  • Alisons_goal
    Options
    How about if I try to lose 7 pounds by May 17th? Would that be a realistic goal? That is 56 days away/
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    How about if I try to lose 7 pounds by May 17th? Would that be a realistic goal? That is 56 days away/

You're already at a healthy BMI for your height as it stands, so I'd say losing a max of .5 a pound per week would be appropriate. 56 days is 8 weeks, which means 4 pounds. Rushing weight loss isn't healthy.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know any good exercises that burn 1,000 calories?

Running. 200 pound person going 8 miles will burn 1000 calories.

Scale for your own weight....
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and I maintain a bodyweight of 115-120 (depending on a lot of factors). The only way I could burn 1,000 calories is if I lit myself on fire. 300 cals is a big burn for me. I usually get around 100 cals per 30 mins from the types of activity I do.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

People who are already fairly lean cannot lose weight quickly without burning away muscle. That's just the physics of it all.

Weight is just a number on the scale - what is your *real* goal? Something you see in the mirror? A clothing size? A shape? What?
  • Joel33mfp
    Joel33mfp Posts: 23
    Options

That is a very real goal and a safe one... I tell the people I train that 1 to 1 1/2 pounds per week... That's if there is at least 15 plus pounds to lose... Is very doable.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Joel33mfp wrote: »

That is a very real goal and a safe one... I tell the people I train that 1 to 1 1/2 pounds per week... That's if there is at least 15 plus pounds to lose... Is very doable.

On what basis did you conclude 1-1.5 pounds per week is advisable for someone with just 15 pounds to lose?

Also, on what basis do you believe OP has even 15 pounds to lose?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Did you even read the thread? Because if you did you need to stop handing out advice. If you didn't, you should probably go do that before dispensing with advice that is pure crap.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Walking at a brisk pace for 10 miles, taking about 2.5 hours to do so, will burn about 8,00 to 1,000 calories. Not sure why this is being argued.

Of course, doing this every day would be boring as hell.

Depending on weight. At the OP's current weight, it won't come close. She wouldn't net 1000 calories from running ten miles. To net 1000 calories for ten miles of walking requires a person at about 333 pounds ... if you base it on MET or Runner's World studies.

Ummmm ... no. I honestly hope nobody pays you for such bad advice.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

People who are already fairly lean cannot lose weight quickly without burning away muscle. That's just the physics of it all.

You've gotten some good advice in this thread. If you truly are only eating 1,200 calories, doing lots of exercise, whether it be walking or something else, won't be sustainable for very long. I would imagine by 8 weeks, if you stuck to a healthy diet with moderate exercise you would be looking at a loss between 3-8lbs.
  • JohnVanBlarcom
    JohnVanBlarcom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I hit the treadmill incline 6° and I run 6.5 to 7 mph for 3 to 4 minutes then I slowdown 5.5 to 6 mi./for 3 to 4 minutes this normally gets me at least 900 cal burned.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I hit the treadmill incline 6° and I run 6.5 to 7 mph for 3 to 4 minutes then I slowdown 5.5 to 6 mi./for 3 to 4 minutes this normally gets me at least 900 cal burned.

For 6-8 minutes? 900 calories?
    I'm not quite sure that is accurate.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited March 2015
    Options

No, it doesn't.

There isn't a human alive - or that ever lived - that can burn 900 calories in 8 minutes.

Not even remotely physically possible.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Jof 's gonna have a new mantra after he sees this post.