Low carb rules!

Options
Onlythetruth
Onlythetruth Posts: 38 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
More and more evidence keeps coming out. It's no wonder the LCHF lifestyle is popular, for both weight loss and health reasons.

http://smashthefat.com/science/

Replies

• crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I believe that reducing carb is the way to go and not elimination or very low. I'm a self proclaimed carb a holic. I love pasta and bread. Yum. But I know that I have to be very cautious when I eat them because it's easy for me to go overboard. There's not as many nutrients in pasta as an equivalent calorie amount of say green beans. So I have to be carb conscious. But that's me and my life. I tried the very low carb for a while and I was mean. And when I finally lost control, I went carb crazy. Elimination is usually not the answer. At least for me. I'm lucky that candy doesn't appeal to me. But if it did, I would get something like snickers bites. I would freeze them, so if I wanted one, I have to take it out and wait for it to thaw before I could eat it. Eliminates mindless snacking.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know that did lchf has failed long term. They are larger now than ever. If you can't eat that way for the rest of your life, it's difficult to sustain.

I'll keep eating my yummy carbs and losing lots of weight like I have been. And when I'm done losing, I am already eating a normal diet without any restrictions other than staying in maintenance calories. :p
  • NickDoesFitness
    NickDoesFitness Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of low carb, but I do incorporate it if I've had a few gluttonous days, bring those glycogen stores back down. But aside from this, there's rarely any time I'll ever go low carb, unless I decide to compete in a sport which requires lower bf percentage :smile:
  • theresaneal77
    theresaneal77 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Most people I know that tried low carb failed because they did things like completely eliminate bread for months without finding any substitutes or lower carb options. If you substitute your grains and high carb foods for healthier options, you may be able to see success in the long run. Personally I am loving flax seed pita bread (but I'm not on a low carb).
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    When protein intake is matched(control for confounding variables?) then the results are nothing special. As soon as protein is controlled for, the "advantage" of LC diets magically disappears.
    You're really comparing low protein to a high protein diet.
    http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0100652
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No thanks. I enjoy being healthy, fit, full of energy and eating food I like.

Being popular is a poor reason to choose a diet. Long term adherence would be a better reason and if that's LCHF for you then go for it but saying "low carb rules" with no context is just as silly as if someone posts "high carb rules" because it suits them.
  • lknorthstar
    lknorthstar Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I had a really hard time losing weight without going low carb! I spent hours in the gym with hardly any results! So last spring I did the Ideal Protein Diet for six weeks. I did not have many issues gaining the weight back. As long as I followed my maintenance plan and remember to be really good after a bad day!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I got nice and fit without doing low carb.

Great! But for a larger percentage of the population, the trend is toward LCHF, for whatever reasons seems to have better results. I suspect it works because if you follow it, you eliminate junk food, which I for one have no control over.
    I will go through all 12 studies soon. I did do 2 so far

1 - Difference in weight was stated to be water weight from depleted glycogen levels. That's obviously different that fat.

2 - After 1 year the difference in the 2 groups was significant and both groups had poor adherence.

This^

There is nothing "magic" in low carb. Initial weight loss seems superior....but it's water weight.

Unless someone has a medical reason for a low carb lifestyle, long term adherence is going to be an issue. No way would I do low carb for life.

As far "a larger percentage of the population".....I can believe this. Type 2 diabetes is much more prevalent now.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I will add my comment because the low carb depends on how low carb you go. Really low carb is 25 to 50 a day...ketosis..

I would say low carb would be 70 to 100 perhaps which is still low depending on your calorie requirement. I was getting 120 to 160 a day and it was a bit too high for me which was moderate amount/normal range for my calories..

I cut to 80 to 100 not to just do low carb, but eating higher amounts did not suit the way I felt after eating this much and it may be because of my exercising and my goals..

The way we eat in my household, it is almost impossible to go lower than 80 because we do like to eat a certain way.. but we have divided the carbs throughout the day and avoid eating a lot of carbs in one sitting..

The carb issue is a personal choice depending on a lot of variations and only a couple that I mentioned.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

You were just lucky!

• tennisdude2004
    Options

You were just lucky!
    I'll take it.

Lol - just for clarification 'it was a joke' :)

I'm aware of your hard work and dedication (and more power to your elbow).
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    More and more evidence keeps coming out. It's no wonder the LCHF lifestyle is popular, for both weight loss and health reasons.

http://smashthefat.com/science/

Yet another person claiming what works for some people must be THE way to lose weight. Just bore off and go and low carb yourself into oblivion somewhere else.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Great! But for a larger percentage of the population, the trend is toward LCHF, for whatever reasons seems to have better results. I suspect it works because if you follow it, you eliminate junk food, which I for one have no control over.
    I will go through all 12 studies soon. I did do 2 so far

1 - Difference in weight was stated to be water weight from depleted glycogen levels. That's obviously different that fat.

2 - After 1 year the difference in the 2 groups was significant and both groups had poor adherence.

This^

There is nothing "magic" in low carb. Initial weight loss seems superior....but it's water weight.

Unless someone has a medical reason for a low carb lifestyle, long term adherence is going to be an issue. No way would I do low carb for life.

As far "a larger percentage of the population".....I can believe this. Type 2 diabetes is much more prevalent now.

Long term adherence of any diet is generally and issue (for most).

There's no way I could count calories or do moderation for life, so in our study of two the results are about 50 / 50.