What to cut out from your diet?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I find word choices interesting in threads like these. There are people like me who will say they don't cut anything out, but if you looked at my diary you would only find alcohol once or twice per year. You'd almost never find anything fried. You'd very rarely find things like bacon or sausage. If you asked me whether I've cut those things out I'd say no. But on the other hand, you've got people saying that they do cut out all kinds of things "except once or twice per week," which is probably more often than I have those things that they've "cut out." I wouldn't say I've cut something out unless I actually never have it and never plan to do so.

I'm curious about the difference in mindset and whether it matters which way you think of it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I'm curious about the difference in mindset and whether it matters which way you think of it.

I suspect it does make a difference.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    As many have said, I only cut out extra portions of foods that take me over my calorie goals. Still eat ice cream, candy, fried stuff, and still drink pop.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I cut my portions and my seconds. I go out to restaurants less often. I had my stomach surgically altered. Lost ninety pounds so far.

Tried for the first time in the past twenty months: Kohlrabi, Okra, Shitaake, Nori, Tiger Nut, Whey protein, refrigerator oatmeal, and steel cut oats.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I would imagine on an individual level it could matter a great deal. For example, I frequently see posts on this site where people say they immediately start wanting something the minute they say they can't have it or that it's 'bad'. For those people, saying "I'm cutting X out" is probably not a good idea.

But for others it is easier to just say "I cut X" and it doesn't trigger the emotion that others experience.
  • lesliewalker108
    lesliewalker108 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I cut out soda and juice for sure, way too many sugars .If you drink any of these you really cant have anything else. ANd since I love to eat sweets I might eat some low cal popcorn or peanuts to satify those sugary cravings.
  • lesliewalker108
    lesliewalker108 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    OH and I eat way more protein , for thats important.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I find word choices interesting in threads like these. There are people like me who will say they don't cut anything out, but if you looked at my diary you would only find alcohol once or twice per year. You'd almost never find anything fried. You'd very rarely find things like bacon or sausage. If you asked me whether I've cut those things out I'd say no. But on the other hand, you've got people saying that they do cut out all kinds of things "except once or twice per week," which is probably more often than I have those things that they've "cut out." I wouldn't say I've cut something out unless I actually never have it and never plan to do so.

Probably not, unless all you eat is chocolate and crisps and you go over your calories every day!

I haven't cut out anything, but I don't eat chocolate, cake, sweets every single day either. I rarely drink alcohol, but that's more because I have 3 young kids and my social life these days involves meeting friends at soft play and drinking coffee lol.

I had a real craving for something sweet yesterday so I made some oat raisin cookies and had 1.5 cookies. That was enough for me, and didn't put me over my daily calorie allowance. I'm fairly sure it won't make me gain weight.

I think when you tell yourself you can't have something, that's when you want it. I'm not bothered by not drinking much, but when I was pregnant I found myself really craving alcohol a couple of times, and that's probably because I couldn't have it!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I would imagine on an individual level it could matter a great deal. For example, I frequently see posts on this site where people say they immediately start wanting something the minute they say they can't have it or that it's 'bad'. For those people, saying "I'm cutting X out" is probably not a good idea.

But for others it is easier to just say "I cut X" and it doesn't trigger the emotion that others experience.

That's pretty much how I am. Same reason when my high school boyfriend told me I couldn't cut my hair I went home and gave myself a pixie cut with kitchen scissors. :laugh: I should have just lost the boyfriend.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat the same foods just fit it all in my calorie goal.
    I know that I can eat much more lower calorie foods than higher calorie foods so the higher calorie foods are smaller portions. Sometimes I look at a food and feel it just isn't worth using my precious calories on as it will not be filling or do much for me nutritionally.
    I drink mostly water or unsweetened tea. I prefer to save my calories for food.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    edited March 2015
    Options

Probably not, unless all you eat is chocolate and crisps and you go over your calories every day!

I haven't cut out anything, but I don't eat chocolate, cake, sweets every single day either. I rarely drink alcohol, but that's more because I have 3 young kids and my social life these days involves meeting friends at soft play and drinking coffee lol.

I had a real craving for something sweet yesterday so I made some oat raisin cookies and had 1.5 cookies. That was enough for me, and didn't put me over my daily calorie allowance. I'm fairly sure it won't make me gain weight.

I think when you tell yourself you can't have something, that's when you want it. I'm not bothered by not drinking much, but when I was pregnant I found myself really craving alcohol a couple of times, and that's probably because I couldn't have it!

I didn't mean whether it makes a difference in weight loss. I just meant I wonder if the mindset behind it makes a difference in whether a person is successful or not. I'm like you-- telling myself something is off limits is the best way to make me want it.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    JoRumbles wrote: »
    Wine as an almost daily thing. I've cut it down to one night a week max at the moment as I just don't have room for a 300cal glass of wine (or likely 600 cal for 3/4 of a bottle!)....

Wow, how big are your glasses? A 5 ounce glass of wine is roughly 125 calories. I have one most evenings.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I got rid of weight by -
    • I cut off processed/packaged food and started eating less at restaurants.
    • I started cooking at home more and more pretty much everything that they serve at restaurants including international cuisines.
    • I now control calories in by eating more 80% nutritious dense food. I reserved 20% treat for a week.
    • I now control calories out by being more physically active.
    • I weigh every food, that I eat, on a kitchen scale in grams. Since I prepare most food at home it's become easier.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

I didn't mean whether it makes a difference in weight loss. I just meant I wonder if the mindset behind it makes a difference in whether a person is successful or not. I'm like you-- telling myself something is off limits is the best way to make me want it.

Probably. If you make a huge list of banned foods then you are more likely to binge eat. If you're of the mindset that anything is ok, so long as you don't overdo it, then you're more likely to be successful. Unless you're very singleminded and happy to live on a diet of oats, chicken and kale every single day :)
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options

While I do understand what you saying, believe me, I had to change what I brought home from the grocery store.

If it is in the house, I will eat the whole family size bag of potato chips in a day. I will eat a whole sleeve of crackers or cookie as well.

I tell myself I am on a "break". I did not give them up altogether but at the moment, not buying them for the pantry. We would always have chips, crackers, etc. in the pantry at all times.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    edited March 2015
    Options

While I do understand what you saying, believe me, I had to change what I brought home from the grocery store.

If it is in the house, I will eat the whole family size bag of potato chips in a day. I will eat a whole sleeve of crackers or cookie as well.

I tell myself I am on a "break". I did not give them up altogether but at the moment, not buying them for the pantry. We would always have chips, crackers, etc. in the pantry at all times.

I definitely was NOT saying that you should bring foods that cause binging issues home from the grocery store just because.

Honestly I'm not really "saying" anything, just musing. But if I have a point, it has nothing to do with how often you choose to eat whatever food. It has to do with how two people who have chosen to eat them with roughly the same frequency can see their choice through vastly different lenses.
  • saraelizaphant
    saraelizaphant Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The first thing I cut was soda. It was easy, because I've never had a strong attachment, and it was a choice I'm happy to maintain. Since joining MFP, I've easily cut chips and frozen meals, because I want to. Again, if I wanted to eat these types of foods I would, but for me, it is well worth eliminating them. Like you, I've cut out all sorts of sweets, because they were not serving me well. I love enjoying select dark chocolate on occasion.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    JoRumbles wrote: »
    Wine as an almost daily thing. I've cut it down to one night a week max at the moment as I just don't have room for a 300cal glass of wine (or likely 600 cal for 3/4 of a bottle!)....

Wow, how big are your glasses? A 5 ounce glass of wine is roughly 125 calories. I have one most evenings.

Well in the UK a large glass of wine is 250mls. Two of those seems a nice amount to me....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

That's pretty much how I am. Same reason when my high school boyfriend told me I couldn't cut my hair I went home and gave myself a pixie cut with kitchen scissors. :laugh: I should have just lost the boyfriend.

I'll admit I was pretty surprised by the number of people that feel that way on this site.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said there is a bit of a question of semantics. Things that I now only eat occasionally I would class as "having cut from my (regular) diet". The only think I never, ever eat is chocolate.

Some people say they eat exactly the same things, but in smaller portions. That's fine, but if all you ate previously was chips, battered fish and pies washed down with coke you are going to have microscopic portions if you try to stick to 1,200 cals a day.