Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I got nice and fit without doing low carb.

You were just lucky!
    I'll take it.

Lol - just for clarification 'it was a joke' :)

I'm aware of your hard work and dedication (and more power to your elbow).

I know you were joking. Hence the passive response.

Also, knock it off with the compliments. I told you not to disturb our Feng Shui.

I know it feels like an episode of the twilight zone!!

• hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Low-carb can be a useful tool for those who need help creating a calorie deficit without feeling as hungry. Because of the way our bodies process different macronutrients, fat and protein tend to give that satiated feeling for longer. Also, grain related carbs tend to be the most calorie dense, so reducing the amount of rice, bread, pasta, etc a person eats and replacing with vegetables (still carb loaded, but with lots of fiber, so usually a very low net-carb) will allow them to eat more volume for the same amount of calories, also leading to feeling fuller and more satisfied.

It's still all about CICO. I wouldn't ever bash someone who tries to eat lower carb, I know I TRY to, but I don't work myself up over it. It's simply another tool a person can use to lose the weight they need to lose.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Why does anyone need to harp on this way is better than that? Do you. Low carb works for me. I had gestational diabetes with my second child due largely to my age (35) when I had him. Gestational diabetes puts me at a much greater risk for Type II - which also runs in my family - even among the healthiest members (my 55 year old aunt runs marathons - and has Type II). Do what works for you.

There is evidence to support all kinds of 'diets', but in the end, it's personal. CICO and IIFYM don't work as well for me. They work, just not as quickly - probably because of my former issues with insulin and needing to lose some weight. I like to see the scale tick down daily - it's motivating for me. Low carb/ketosis does that for me.

As for the case for water weight - yes initially, that is true. But I don't have 50 lbs of water on me. Ultimately, low carb is still a caloric restriction. I still count my calories and stay under 1400 calories and 50 g carb. If I'm not counting carbs, I need to restrict to 1000 - 1200 to lose a pound a week. By reducing my carbs, for whatever reason, I'm able to eat more and lose more. Believe me, I've tinkered with the numbers and it took me awhile to get here. I prefer an IIFYM approach because I don't like elimination diets, but the numbers don't lie for ME. Again, it works for ME. Do what works for YOU and don't worry about others.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know that did lchf has failed long term. They are larger now than ever. If you can't eat that way for the rest of your life, it's difficult to sustain.

I'll keep eating my yummy carbs and losing lots of weight like I have been. And when I'm done losing, I am already eating a normal diet without any restrictions other than staying in maintenance calories. :p

My mother was over weight most her life. She started LCHF in 2004 and lost 50 pounds and became a healthy weight. 11 years later she still is doing LCHF and still a healthy weight. She does plan to eat like this the rest of her life and it doesn't bother her.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    VkhvKmp.gif
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I eat taco bell quite often and the pounds keep melting off. I'm glad you've found something that works for you and that you're excited about but it's certainly not for everyone and even for those who find early success with it, I have my doubts that they are able to continue for very long.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know that did lchf has failed long term. They are larger now than ever. If you can't eat that way for the rest of your life, it's difficult to sustain.

I'll keep eating my yummy carbs and losing lots of weight like I have been. And when I'm done losing, I am already eating a normal diet without any restrictions other than staying in maintenance calories. :p

My mother was over weight most her life. She started LCHF in 2004 and lost 50 pounds and became a healthy weight. 11 years later she still is doing LCHF and still a healthy weight. She does plan to eat like this the rest of her life and it doesn't bother her.

That's wonderful for her. :). It's exactly my point that the change has to last. Unfortunately a lot lose on low carb, then go back to how they prefer to eat and gain it all back.

• Lib_B
    Options
    Lib_B wrote: »
    Why does anyone need to harp on this way is better than that? Do you. Low carb works for me. I had gestational diabetes with my second child due largely to my age (35) when I had him. Gestational diabetes puts me at a much greater risk for Type II - which also runs in my family - even among the healthiest members (my 55 year old aunt runs marathons - and has Type II). Do what works for you.

There is evidence to support all kinds of 'diets', but in the end, it's personal. CICO and IIFYM don't work as well for me. They work, just not as quickly - probably because of my former issues with insulin and needing to lose some weight. I like to see the scale tick down daily - it's motivating for me. Low carb/ketosis does that for me.

As for the case for water weight - yes initially, that is true. But I don't have 50 lbs of water on me. Ultimately, low carb is still a caloric restriction. I still count my calories and stay under 1400 calories and 50 g carb. If I'm not counting carbs, I need to restrict to 1000 - 1200 to lose a pound a week. By reducing my carbs, for whatever reason, I'm able to eat more and lose more. Believe me, I've tinkered with the numbers and it took me awhile to get here. I prefer an IIFYM approach because I don't like elimination diets, but the numbers don't lie for ME. Again, it works for ME. Do what works for YOU and don't worry about others.

No need to get upset and shout.

You might eat more and lose more but more volume doesn't automatically mean more calories.
    If you need to reduce calories to 1000 to lose weight then maybe you should go see a doctor.
    You do lose water weight but also take into consideration that when we go from obese to healthy we do lose some lbm, it's a given, because our bodies adapted by adding more of it to carry our obese bodies around.

Now, back to reading my studies.

First - not shouting. *emphasis* I do track my calories and I do eat more. I know I can eat 1400 IIFYM and not lose weight. I know (again lots of trial and error here) I can eat 1200 IIFYM and barely lose during the course of a week. I know that I can eat 1400 cals in ketosis and lose. I've done this all under the advice and monitoring of an endocrinologist and nutritionist to determine what I need to do to lose weight. I've had my thyroid tested, I've been tested for every autoimmune disease under the sun, PCOS, etc. So thanks for the advice to see a doctor. I wouldn't have thought of that.

These forums are just sad - people jumping each other's shiz. It shouldn't matter how you get there, just that you're trying to get there. People need to get over this idea that because something worked for them, it should work for everyone. I would never suggest keto is right for everyone. It's right for me and my biology. Everyone should mind their own business and think carefully about whether or not they have anything of 'value' to offer a conversation or if they're just piling on for sport.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

But .. you still follow CICO and IIFYM
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    For me...

The carbs are just an innocent bystander. I like to get in a decent amount of protein because I lift; so that amount is kind of fixed. If I'm going to lose weight, it'll be through some sort of restriction of calories. That leaves carbs and fats.

Disregarding the necessity of carbs vs fats (because I simply don't care about that discussion), fats seem to help my satiety throughout the day more. That is the end of the story. My problem reducing calories all about controlling my hunger. Controlling my hunger means increasing fats. More than fiber or protein, fat helps my hunger. And to maintain the calorie restriction while increasing fats and maintaining protein....you guessed it...carbs get lowered.

Now, by no means do I do a low carb diet, but I do lower my carbs and increase my fat intake.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    What's with those chosen macro ranges?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I got nice and fit without doing low carb.

Great! But for a larger percentage of the population, the trend is toward LCHF, for whatever reasons seems to have better results. I suspect it works because if you follow it, you eliminate junk food, which I for one have no control over.
    I will go through all 12 studies soon. I did do 2 so far

1 - Difference in weight was stated to be water weight from depleted glycogen levels. That's obviously different that fat.

2 - After 1 year the difference in the 2 groups was significant and both groups had poor adherence.

This^

There is nothing "magic" in low carb. Initial weight loss seems superior....but it's water weight.

Unless someone has a medical reason for a low carb lifestyle, long term adherence is going to be an issue. No way would I do low carb for life.

As far "a larger percentage of the population".....I can believe this. Type 2 diabetes is much more prevalent now.

Yup.

I'm still weeding through al the studies. 1 by 1. I wonder if the OP also did that before using this as evidence. I'm up to #4 while I wait here in the waiting room to have an MRI done.

To the OP, don't get upset that I'm breaking the studies down. That's how this game works.

There's no game. LCHF works for many. You choose something else. Just live and let live for goodness sakes. 14,000 post of it's my way or the highway. Enough already.

You post a title saying low carb rules, get clearly annoyed when people discuss the information you provide, and then back peddle into a "I'm just saying what works for me" stance.

Classic inflammatory MFP attempt at misdirection.

That, or you're completely tone deaf to your own rhetoric.
  • Lib_B
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Hmm... it's almost as if the OP wanted to provoke a reaction.

perhaps - and if that's the case, shame on him/her. But doesn't mean everyone needs to come in and crap on something. It's the nature of these forums. I just can't stand the back and forth, baiting each other, it's inhumane. Would we treat people in our 'real' lives this way?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

That's wonderful for her. :). It's exactly my point that the change has to last. Unfortunately a lot lose on low carb, then go back to how they prefer to eat and gain it all back.

The same goes for calorie counting and every other approach. Most gain it back regardless of the approach they use.
  • Lib_B
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

But .. you still follow CICO and IIFYM

Didn't say I didn't. But not in isolation. I HAVE to reduce my carb intake, which means I eat much more fat and protein, in order to drop weight. Same calories eating a diet of 30-50% carbs yields very little loss for me. Also, the diet itself keeps your calorie intake down because this former vegetarian can't stomach all that meat. In theory, I could eat a 16 oz steak, but I'm not going to. I feel pretty full most of the time and really don't get 'hungry.' I have to force myself to eat following this. Again, it works for me and my endocrinologist and family doctor are both happy. You do what works for you. I know energy can be an issue for some doing keto - it's not been a problem for me. Carbs - again with the diabetic things that run in my family - make me incredibly sluggish and if I eat something really sweet, it will even blur my vision, etc. A VERY good indicator of insulin issues. I'm not going to be diabetic. Pregnancy was bad enough. I will do what I can within my power to not have to contend with that.
  • julesribar
    julesribar Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Agree with this 100 percent! I did Atkins about 10 yrs ago and yes, I lost almost 15 lbs but when you finally go back to eating just a little normal it piles back on. I make sure my toast I have in the morn is high fiber and that my pasta I make is whole wheat/high fiber. I know now the secret is documenting your calories. Plain and simple.

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Hmm... it's almost as if the OP wanted to provoke a reaction.
    The empty profile and the rhetoric look and sound familiar......must be an alt account. Anyone seen prettykitty lately