What to cut out from your diet?

Options

Replies

• MzShelleRenea
    MzShelleRenea Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    I cut out additional calories that take me over my goal of 1480... Anything under that is fair game. There is no need to cut anything...
    I'm just worried that staying under my goal won't work if I eat junk food?

Well, you don't just eat junk food. I don't. But I have days where I have chocolate or chips or beer. I just make sure it fits. I tend to stick with meat, vegetables, grains, etc. only because they are satiating. But you better believe I have chocolate in my diet and tortilla chips. It's not about deprivation, it's about moderation.

Here's how I'm losing weight:

I stay at or under my calorie goal
    I weigh my food/liquids
    I pre-plan if necessary for days I want to fit in something special
    I workout
    I log it.

It's really that simple.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I cut out chicken breast - it's dry and rubbery and I hate it. Thighs thighs thighs!!!
  • MzShelleRenea
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I cut out chicken breast - it's dry and rubbery and I hate it. Thighs thighs thighs!!!

I don't know. My local grocer has the best breasts ever. ;)

But seriously, their chicken breasts are the only ones we buy now. They are juicy, tender, and just perfect. However, we still prefer the drumsticks and thighs overall but when breasts are needed in the recipe, they are the ones we use.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Embrace the breasts! Embrace the thighs!
    embrace+the+day.jpg
    I am sure many would agree. Breasts and thighs are both lovely.
  • MzShelleRenea
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    embrace+the+day.jpg

This made my Monday. And I am having chicken tonight. :)
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Nothing! All things in moderation. I might only have something as a treat once every few months but I will not totally cut something out...that would only make me want it that much more! I just make sure everything fits into my calorie goal.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    embrace+the+day.jpg

Well save me the dark meat then :)
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out ANYTHING from what I used to eat. I continue to include junk food, fast food along with healthy meals. How do I lose weight then? By eating WAY LESS than what I used to eat before. Sticking to my daily calories works wonders... :drinker:
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Fried stuff. I tried a couple times to eat something fried over the past year, and each time it ended in serious colon blow. Forget that, not worth it, not doing any more!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

No need to eat breast if you don't like, but brining makes a huge difference!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I find word choices interesting in threads like these. There are people like me who will say they don't cut anything out, but if you looked at my diary you would only find alcohol once or twice per year. You'd almost never find anything fried. You'd very rarely find things like bacon or sausage. If you asked me whether I've cut those things out I'd say no. But on the other hand, you've got people saying that they do cut out all kinds of things "except once or twice per week," which is probably more often than I have those things that they've "cut out." I wouldn't say I've cut something out unless I actually never have it and never plan to do so.

I'm curious about the difference in mindset and whether it matters which way you think of it.

Probably not, unless all you eat is chocolate and crisps and you go over your calories every day!

I haven't cut out anything, but I don't eat chocolate, cake, sweets every single day either. I rarely drink alcohol, but that's more because I have 3 young kids and my social life these days involves meeting friends at soft play and drinking coffee lol.

I had a real craving for something sweet yesterday so I made some oat raisin cookies and had 1.5 cookies. That was enough for me, and didn't put me over my daily calorie allowance. I'm fairly sure it won't make me gain weight.

I think when you tell yourself you can't have something, that's when you want it. I'm not bothered by not drinking much, but when I was pregnant I found myself really craving alcohol a couple of times, and that's probably because I couldn't have it!

I didn't mean whether it makes a difference in weight loss. I just meant I wonder if the mindset behind it makes a difference in whether a person is successful or not. I'm like you-- telling myself something is off limits is the best way to make me want it.

Probably. If you make a huge list of banned foods then you are more likely to binge eat. If you're of the mindset that anything is ok, so long as you don't overdo it, then you're more likely to be successful. Unless you're very singleminded and happy to live on a diet of oats, chicken and kale every single day :)

I worry that it's a change that can't/won't be permanent. I think some people succeed at weight loss but fail at maintenance because they have a list of things that they can't eat while dieting but when they're "done" it's woohoo! Break out the Oreos!

Of course, I realize that's not true for everyone but it would definitely be a concern for me. That or I'd cave before I reached goal and eat all the things.
  • alexiss31
    Options
    No more cakes, candy, chips, white carbs and soda
  • MzShelleRenea
    Options

No need to eat breast if you don't like, but brining makes a huge difference!

YES!! Brining for the win. My daughter and I love to make homemade chicken fried chicken. When we remember, we put them in a salt water bath for 4-6 hours. HUGE difference. :-)

embrace+the+day.jpg

Well save me the dark meat then :)

It's all yours :D

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I find word choices interesting in threads like these. There are people like me who will say they don't cut anything out, but if you looked at my diary you would only find alcohol once or twice per year. You'd almost never find anything fried. You'd very rarely find things like bacon or sausage. If you asked me whether I've cut those things out I'd say no. But on the other hand, you've got people saying that they do cut out all kinds of things "except once or twice per week," which is probably more often than I have those things that they've "cut out." I wouldn't say I've cut something out unless I actually never have it and never plan to do so.

I'm curious about the difference in mindset and whether it matters which way you think of it.

I wonder about this all the time. I've tried to get clarification from people who say they've cut it out (but still consume) on their thinking. One person told me that they put it that way because they hoped they'd never have it again.

I'd love to understand the mentality of making a sacrifice ("I've cut out/eliminated/never eat") vs. feeling the freedom to eat what you like as long as you can fit it into your calorie goals.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

Probably not, unless all you eat is chocolate and crisps and you go over your calories every day!

I haven't cut out anything, but I don't eat chocolate, cake, sweets every single day either. I rarely drink alcohol, but that's more because I have 3 young kids and my social life these days involves meeting friends at soft play and drinking coffee lol.

I had a real craving for something sweet yesterday so I made some oat raisin cookies and had 1.5 cookies. That was enough for me, and didn't put me over my daily calorie allowance. I'm fairly sure it won't make me gain weight.

I think when you tell yourself you can't have something, that's when you want it. I'm not bothered by not drinking much, but when I was pregnant I found myself really craving alcohol a couple of times, and that's probably because I couldn't have it!

I didn't mean whether it makes a difference in weight loss. I just meant I wonder if the mindset behind it makes a difference in whether a person is successful or not. I'm like you-- telling myself something is off limits is the best way to make me want it.

Probably. If you make a huge list of banned foods then you are more likely to binge eat. If you're of the mindset that anything is ok, so long as you don't overdo it, then you're more likely to be successful. Unless you're very singleminded and happy to live on a diet of oats, chicken and kale every single day :)

I worry that it's a change that can't/won't be permanent. I think some people succeed at weight loss but fail at maintenance because they have a list of things that they can't eat while dieting but when they're "done" it's woohoo! Break out the Oreos!

Of course, I realize that's not true for everyone but it would definitely be a concern for me. That or I'd cave before I reached goal and eat all the things.

I think that's valid. At the same time, I've heard others say that it isn't really a "lifestyle change" unless you cut out all the "bad" foods and completely change how you eat. They worry that continuing to include those foods in their lives will result in regaining the weight. (I'm not one of them, I'm with you).

In the end I think maintenance is hard regardless, and one of the keys is to understand yourself and what mindset/behaviors will make it doable for you.
  • Jojomotivated
    Jojomotivated Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Initially when I lost weight, I didn't cut out anything. However I'm starting to notice that the less dairy and sugar I eat, the more energy I have.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I still eat all the things. Just not the sheer volume I used to eat. And I am significantly more active. I don't work this damn hard in the gym to NOT eat ice cream.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I've added protein powder and Quest bars for some variety. I haven't really cut anything, but there are things I don't eat (gluten) for medical reasons, and lots of things I don't eat out of personal preference (I'm a vegetarian and since I hit menopause, I've oddly gone off chocolate in the past few months).
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

I think with maintenance you just carry on as you are, just add a few extra calories! I don't know, when I got to goal weight I got pregnant lol.

Personally I have nothing banned. I say I eat a pretty healthy diet anyway, but if I fancy a treat I have one.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    There are actually more things I added, or added more of, than I took away. I added protein shakes for breakfast which are convenient and satisfying. I added a lot of mushrooms and green peppers. I am pretty sure I added more eggs, more oatmeal. There are things I take away like 98% of the time, like candy/cookies/etc, and then there are things I'm taking away forever because if every time I eat something I get sick, then I'm done with that thing! Like greasy sausages, or fries, ugh, the very thought. X( I used to be ok with those things but nowadays I absolutely cannot digest them. IDK if it's age or just acclimating to a totally different eating style that did it. You may have this happen too eventually. A baked potato though is no problem for me. I can eat a potato fine, just not eat it fried. If you have to take some items out of circulation, there's usually plenty of good things you can add instead.