Have you Quit Sugar?

Options
livhig82
livhig82 Posts: 14 Member
After watching a documentary about sugar I am really considering quitting altogether.
Has anyone else done this and what was your experience??

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not!
    I like food and I like having energy.
  • TurquoisWater
    TurquoisWater Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for a while and have not lost a significant amount of weight, but I feel skinnier and my clothes fit better.
    Giving up sugar is not an exclusion diet. Sugar is not a macro-nutrient. Our bodies don't need added sugar. You'll get all the sugar you need from natural sources like fruit, vegetables, whole grain, etc.
    You will realize how it is in just about everything, which is the problem. When you eat chocolate cake you know there is sugar and you are consciously allowing yourself a treat. When you are cooking with canned kidney beans, you don't expect there to be sugar, because there shouldn't be.
    I strongly encourage you to embrace this lifestyle. I believe it will have huge benefits in the long run.

Best wishes!
  • magairlin
    magairlin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yes- pretty much. I know that sugar is in some foods that I eat and I like to drink beer and wine which also contain sugar but in general I don't eat sugary food- cakes, biscuits, chocolate etc. It works well for me. If I don't eat it I don't want it but if I eat it I crave more and I wanted to rid myself of cravings and I have done so. I don't eat much processed food but if I am buying it I check labels and if sugar comes within the first three ingredients listed I regard it as a sugar product and I don't buy it. Be careful with bread- you'd be surprised how many breads on the market have sugar in the first three ingredients. In my case it's what makes it "moreish" and hard to resist eating too much of it. Christmas, Easter etc can be a huge challenge. I usually indulge at Christmas and put on several pounds which I often regret. This Easter I plan on sticking to my no sugar. I will have treats but they will be wine, beer, and diet coke. I really feel so much better without sugary food. A slice of apple tart is about 350 calories and is eaten in a few seconds and I always want more! For 350 calories I could treat myself to some wine or beer or something that I really want and not experience cravings afterwards. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    magairlin wrote: »
    Yes- pretty much. I know that sugar is in some foods that I eat and I like to drink beer and wine which also contain sugar but in general I don't eat sugary food- cakes, biscuits, chocolate etc. It works well for me. If I don't eat it I don't want it but if I eat it I crave more and I wanted to rid myself of cravings and I have done so. I don't eat much processed food but if I am buying it I check labels and if sugar comes within the first three ingredients listed I regard it as a sugar product and I don't buy it. Be careful with bread- you'd be surprised how many breads on the market have sugar in the first three ingredients. In my case it's what makes it "moreish" and hard to resist eating too much of it. Christmas, Easter etc can be a huge challenge. I usually indulge at Christmas and put on several pounds which I often regret. This Easter I plan on sticking to my no sugar. I will have treats but they will be wine, beer, and diet coke. I really feel so much better without sugary food. A slice of apple tart is about 350 calories and is eaten in a few seconds and I always want more! For 350 calories I could treat myself to some wine or beer or something that I really want and not experience cravings afterwards. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Wine is pretty sugary.

We don't tend to have sugar in bread in England, at least not the bread i buy. One of my friends went to the US and said the bread was really sweet.

I agree with not having too much added sugar, but like anything it's ok in moderation.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    livhig82 wrote: »
    After watching a documentary about sugar I am really considering quitting altogether.

I don't add sugar to beverages or food, nor do I cook / bake with it. I do eat things that contain sugars like berries, vegetables, apples etc.

• MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Nope! I've tried and it just doesn't work for me...
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options

No because I like fruit.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I limit sugar because excessive consumption triggers migraines for me, but I haven't eliminated it at all. I have berries and gelato every day.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I have cut back on refined sugar. I have read from many how whether it's from an apple or frosting the body doesn't know they difference. Well for calorie burn maybe not, but my skin seems to know...less refined...no rosacea...more refined...I get a flare up.
    To answer, do what you're comfortable with for you and what you feel you can successfully maintain.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It would be virtually impossible to quit sugar since it's naturally found in so many foods. I restrict "added" sugar and watch how much fruit I eat in a day because I was borderline diabetic before I started losing weight, but you can't avoid natural sugar altogether in a nutritious diet.
  • Saltfae
    Saltfae Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    No. Because then i wouldnt be able to eat fruit. i just try to keep it low and from fruits and vegetable srather than processed foods and white breads. i do add some to coffee because ewwwwwww other wise.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    4kjp66dk10ti.jpg
    This is not going to end well.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you'd have to give up sugar. I think moderation is key. I also think that some of those documents are just meant to scare people.

If you like sugar, have it. Have it everyday if you want, as long as you stay in a calorie deficit if trying to lose weight. If you don't want it, don't have it, but remember that sugar is found in many products. That's all, I think.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Fruit, milk and many other things. Sweets as well which are yum. Boring but I just moderate and eat sugary things more wisely. Common sense, soemthing thats in short supply.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

A zero carb diet seems pretty miserable
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    So, you'd also have to completely avoid all low fat and fat free foods because they add sugar to make up for the lack of fat.

No more baked goods *at all*.

No more eating at any restaurant.

Sounds like a miserable life.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Nope haven't given it up, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my nightly dessert if I did. I also prefer to base my decisions on my research not based on the agenda they are pushing in a documentary.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I eat some form of sugar every single day. Fruits, cookies, cake, ketchup, white sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, chocolate, lemon, carrots, tomatoes..etc.

If you wish to cut out sugar and are okay with not eating most things then it's a choice only you could decide the sustainability of. If you are quitting added sugar that's also your own choice. Just know that even though you are free to cut out whatever you want or include whatever you want, documentaries are not a good source of information and you can lose weight and be healthy just fine without cutting out anything.
  • eba2003
    eba2003 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think the OP was referring to refined/added sugar which is not required by the body. you can get enough from fruits and other healthy carbs. I have given up refined sugar and I have more energy, fewer cravings and clearer skin. I still eat fruit, starches and grains.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Yes I have pretty much eliminated sugar. Eliminating added sugar is pretty easy. Eliminating fruit sugar is harder but not impossible. It just depends on your goals and what works for you. For me and my body I had to cut carbs massively to lose weight.