Ketogenic Diet - Week 1

muzd
muzd Posts: 33 Member
Hi All,

I decided to go on the Ketogenic diet last week and decided to share how it all went.

There was no particular meal plan, I just kept an eye on the the carb and protein content. You can always check my diary.

Total Weight Lost: 3 Kgs or 6.61 lbs

I was working out daily (5 days / week) which comprised of 20 minutes of cardio and 40 to 45 minutes of strength training. Again, there is no particular work out plan. If I am feeling energetic I work out my upper body as well as my lower body + cardio.

On a day which has left me tired, I found myself doing a 20 minute cardio combined with concentrating on the bigger muscles i.e. lower body.

My Goal is to loose 20 Kgs or 44 lbs more. However, it is not really just about the weight. I would like to get in shape loose the fat around the belly. A sick pack would be great too ;)

I will appreciate if you can review my diet and give some suggestions.

BTW
Side Effects: Light Headed some times, very thirsty

Replies

• jpsb007
    jpsb007 Posts: 2
    Just started the keto diet too! It's quite a challenge to eliminate so many good things to eat!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited March 2015
    muzd wrote: »
    BTW

yes that's common in the first week or so - diuretic effect of less carbs/insulin. Salt is your friend.

Not sure what the white bread and sugar are doing in a ketogenic diet ;-)
  • muzd
    edited March 2015
    jpsb007 wrote: »
    Just started the keto diet too! It's quite a challenge to eliminate so many good things to eat!

I am on week 2 now, started taking the Bulletproof Coffee and fast until 6 or 7. It is much better as the coffee covers all the macros easily, dinner is planned, so not much to worry about.

Hope to eliminate all the fat around the belly.

Can't wait to see the back of it!
  • muzd
    yarwell wrote: »
    BTW

yes that's common in the first week or so - diuretic effect of less carbs/insulin. Salt is your friend.

Thanks for replying. I understand its not a good thing, I assumed its just 2 slices and body will take care of it thanks to the high fat plus protein and work outs.

Should I avoid it at all costs?
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    BTW

Thanks for replying. I understand its not a good thing, I assumed its just 2 slices and body will take care of it thanks to the high fat plus protein and work outs.

Yes, people on ketogenic diets don't eat white bread or sugar (except incidentally/naturally occurring in some foods). Also, your carb counts over the last week are way too high to be ketogenic. I would say you have been eating lower carb, but not ketogenic.

You are welcome to join fellow keto dieters/low carbers in the Low Carber Daily Forum: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group and/or the keto group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto. You will find lots of good information and support there.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited March 2015
    BTW

Your carbs on a low carb diet, especially keto, should be from veggies and a little from dairy and seasonings. Some are able to eat berries into their day without throwing themselves out of ketosis. Everyone is different with how sensitive they are to eating carbs, but since you just started, the white bread might be keeping you out of ketosis.

If you can still eat bread and continue to lose, great! A benefit to me for a keto diet is I feel full longer eating fat and protein.
  • muzd
    Thanks for your feedback. I think I was just taking it easy in the start.

This week I will be more careful.

I have had 4gms of carbs today and 279 calories left.

Tempted to have mcvities hobnobs :(

Not sure what could I have. Bananas?

MelRC117 wrote: »
    BTW

Your carbs on a low carb diet, especially keto, should be from veggies and a little from dairy and seasonings. Some are able to eat berries into their day without throwing themselves out of ketosis. Everyone is different with how sensitive they are to eating carbs, but since you just started, the white bread might be keeping you out of ketosis.

If you can still eat bread and continue to lose, great! A benefit to me for a keto diet is I feel full longer eating fat and protein.