Have you Quit Sugar?

Options

Replies

• skinnychick33
    skinnychick33 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am avoiding added sugar - I'm addicted so it's taken two years to weed it out of my diet and I'm still working on it. My downfall is usually cookies and doughnuts so I don't keep them in my house; if I want it bad enough to go to the store I get a single serving of exactly what I want. Today I was confronted with doughnuts when I walked into my office - I took 1/4 of a doughnut, enjoyed it and I was able to ignore the rest. This is a triumph for me! I try to pretend it doesnt exist - cover my eyes - yes really.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    LCloops wrote: »
    Nope haven't given it up, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my nightly dessert if I did. I also prefer to base my decisions on my research not based on the agenda they are pushing in a documentary.

/\/\ This is a fantastic answer... and is exactly what I am doing... do more research we beg you...

Do you think you have done more research than WHO, Harvard School of Public Health, The American Heart Associasion, and other health organizations that recommend limiting added sugars?

Did I say I didn't limit it, I limit everything I eat because when I don't I overeat and would get fat again. But with the research I have done, and cutting back on EVERYTHING so I stay within my daily allotment has been successful for me in dropping over 125 lbs, being taken off 10 different prescriptions I took daily, and in the best shape of my life. So yes I will sit and enjoy my nightly dessert and keep doing what I'm doing.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I also think it is very difficult, and indeed unnecessary to cut all sugar. I am glad the WHO included natural honey to their "free sugars" list. It's not the naturalness of a product that harms, but perhaps over-consumption of an easy calorie source (sugar) at the expense of nutritious alternatives.

I think we will continue to see confusion of MFP members, conscientiously watching their sugars, and not understanding how they can go over on a few pieces of fruit. I am sure MFP, and the WHO, did not intend for calorie watchers to cut fruit from their diet to meet the deadlines.

There has to be an adjustment to the nutrition labeling in order to meet the WHO guidelines.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I also think it is very difficult, and indeed unnecessary to cut all sugar. I am glad the WHO included natural honey to their "free sugars" list. It's not the naturalness of a product that harms, but perhaps over-consumption of an easy calorie source (sugar) at the expense of nutritious alternatives.

I think we will continue to see confusion of MFP members, conscientiously watching their sugars, and not understanding how they can go over on a few pieces of fruit. I am sure MFP, and the WHO, did not intend for calorie watchers to cut fruit from their diet to meet the deadlines.

There has to be an adjustment to the nutrition labeling in order to meet the WHO guidelines.

Difficult? Try NOT POSSIBLE. Sugar occurs naturally in almost all food. Moderation is the key to being sensible about sugar. Attempted elimination is a good way to lead one's self to a good old fashioned binge. Sensible moderation with attention to a healthy variety of foods will lead to success.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Why did you add "added" into it? And their recommendations are based off crappy data sets, they should not be making recommendations at all.

Are you suggesting that the WHO recommendations are based on bad data sets? Really? “We have solid evidence that keeping intake of free sugars to less than 10% of total energy intake reduces the risk of overweight, obesity and tooth decay,”

The WHO is using the term "free sugars" which I defined above. It includes honey.

I'm not suggesting, I'm stating they are using crappy data sets. Self reported intake has been shown repeatedly to be inaccurate
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    *Looks up from tub of ice cream* What's this about sugar?

No, seriously, unless you have health issues, there's no reason to "quit" sugar. It's not a "bad" food, it's not "the cause" of weight gain, and eating (moderate amounts) of sugar will NOT prevent you from losing weight. Also, as others have said, sugar is in everything, including healthy things like fruit. So, avoiding "sugar" means leaving out things that are good for you also.

Last thing, "quitting sugar"? Do you snort pixie sticks or something?
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    For the most part I've cut out all added refined sugar and keep my fructose intake pretty low but I still eat some fruit and things sweetened with maple syrup or honey. When I can stick to this I feel MUCH better and the food cravings go away. Added sugar treats are a once in a while indulgence.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @acg67 how do you know that's what the WHO is basing their decision on? I mean, such an agency is naturally conservative. What if they are looking at world trends?

http://www.who.int/nutrition/nlis/en/
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    YalithKBK wrote: »
    *Looks up from tub of ice cream* What's this about sugar?

No, seriously, unless you have health issues, there's no reason to "quit" sugar. It's not a "bad" food, it's not "the cause" of weight gain, and eating (moderate amounts) of sugar will NOT prevent you from losing weight. Also, as others have said, sugar is in everything, including healthy things like fruit. So, avoiding "sugar" means leaving out things that are good for you also.

Last thing, "quitting sugar"? Do you snort pixie sticks or something?
    LOL
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    God no. Some of my best workouts are powered by jellybeans.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Nope. I like a good balance of food and plan to eat this way forever and ever and plan to have some form of sugar daily, like mochas and chocolates, so sugar will be with me forever unless a doctor tells me otherwise. Silly documentaries always use scare tatics just to do eactly that, scare you. Is added sugar good for you? No but neither is eating just carrots and nothing else all day every day. You need to eat a well balanced diet filled with good for you nutrient dense foods and allow yourself yummy treats. And stop watching silly documentaries.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    No - I don't see the point. Sugar is added to SO MANY THINGS, or appear as just naturally-occuring saccharines, that it's just a torturous process. However - I have reduced seriously my intake of refined sugars!

I think that we get used to (and someone "immune" to) heavy amounts of sugars. Sometimes, after holidays and whatnot, I'll have over-done sugar SO MUCH that I crave it all the time. (The more I eat, the more I want it - it's a vicious cycle). What I'll do then is go on a 7-14 day added sugar-free period. [No honey, sugar in tea/coffee, no ketchup - nothing that blatantly or secretly tastes sweet. Sometimes I'll allow myself a strawberry or a couple raisins...but that's it.] Of course, the first 3-4 days are super hard. After about day 7 or 10 or so, I'll actually STOP craving sugar. For just a week of severe restriction, the next months and months are made SO much easier. It's a tough 7 days, but it's got a really, really high pay-off, for me. Having less of this added stuff will do your body a world of good - and over time, it WILL become less desirable.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    StazzyBoo wrote: »
    Avoid the wrong kind of sugar-the unnatural/processed kind. Sugar through sourced like fruits and vegetables is perfectly okay. And it's not just the sugar that's the problem it's the processed foods that are, processed foods lose nutrition and are usually packed with additives of all sort. Sugar is the least of your problems compared to all the other sh** they put in "food".

Just balance your diet with natural foods from their original sources and you will do yourself a lot of good than just by cutting out sugar.

574959_532977393394151_62018296_n.jpeg

Especially when that is Pink Floyd

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Why did you add "added" into it? And their recommendations are based off crappy data sets, they should not be making recommendations at all.

Are you suggesting that the WHO recommendations are based on bad data sets? Really? “We have solid evidence that keeping intake of free sugars to less than 10% of total energy intake reduces the risk of overweight, obesity and tooth decay,”

The WHO is using the term "free sugars" which I defined above. It includes honey.

I wonder how I lost 121 pounds eating more then the recommendations. LOL, and been maintaining for 6 months now. I must be a miracle or something like that!! ;)

I don't understand. How would you not following a health recommendation while losing weight make your weight loss miraculous?
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of refined sugar, or added sugars. I rely on fruit sugars mostly for sweetening, but I'm also not against eating it.

With that said, I do and do need to eat sugar on long runs for fuel. I take a few gummi bears.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I wonder how I lost 121 pounds eating more then the recommendations. LOL, and been maintaining for 6 months now. I must be a miracle or something like that!! ;)

I don't understand. How would you not following a health recommendation while losing weight make your weight loss miraculous?

Did you read the what I quoted??
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    nope, I eat all the sugars and have no issues losing weight.

unless you have a medical condition there is no need to avoid sugar.

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    LCloops wrote: »
    Nope haven't given it up, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my nightly dessert if I did. I also prefer to base my decisions on my research not based on the agenda they are pushing in a documentary.

/\/\ This is a fantastic answer... and is exactly what I am doing... do more research we beg you...

Do you think you have done more research than WHO, Harvard School of Public Health, The American Heart Associasion, and other health organizations that recommend limiting added sugars?

I went to my cardiologist yesterday, I have completely reverse my heart disease to no heart disease and quoted by my doctor that I have a blood pressure of a teenager, eating sugary foods!!!

I really wish they had a like button for individual posts!!!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    "There has to be an adjustment to the nutrition labeling in order to meet the WHO guidelines"....Difficult? Try NOT POSSIBLE. Sugar occurs naturally in almost all food. Moderation is the key to being sensible about sugar...

The WHO guideline provides direction on what is considered "free sugars". That certainly can be calculated by manufacturers and separated out from what naturally occurs in a food product.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    eba2003 wrote: »
    I think the OP was referring to refined/added sugar which is not required by the body. you can get enough from fruits and other healthy carbs. I have given up refined sugar and I have more energy, fewer cravings and clearer skin. I still eat fruit, starches and grains.

why would fruit sugar be required and added sugar not required by the body??????????