Wal-Mart

Options

Replies

• djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jnichel wrote: »
    Minimum wage is a tool to get votes. When minimum wage goes up, the companies that hire mostly minimum wage workers do two things; raise prices and cut hours to maintain their margins. That, in turn, reduces the quality (if you can call it that) of service, and makes those of us who have worked hard to get where we are pay more without a comparable bump in our non-minimum wage jobs.

People who work minimum wage jobs don't work hard?

They did not work hard to get where they are. Difficulty of work performed does not equate to value of work performed. Digging a ditch with a shovel would be difficult work, but it isn't valuable. Because any healthy idiot can operate a shovel. As such, the supply of labor is astronomical. And via supply and demand, the value of labor is very low.

Not valuable? The world couldn't go on without minimum wage workers.

No, not valuable. Supply and demand. One worker disappears, there are plenty more that can jump right in and do the job. As such, the individual minimum wage worker is not valuable.

worthdemotivator.jpg

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There shouldn't. I believe a person should be allowed to enter into any agreement he/she so chooses without government interference. That includes an agreement to barter his/her time with someone in exchange for whatever pay they agree upon. If you don't like what you can earn from someone, don't work for them. If you are unable to command more money, make yourself more valuable.

Funny how I do not have any law dictating that I get paid as much as I do. I made my time valuable, and my employer pays me as such.

I think you're dismissing minimum wage without realizing the effect it has on your own salary. I also think you vastly underestimate how difficult it can be to "make yourself more valuable" depending on your starting point.

I think if you had any clue what I do or how much I make, you would understand that minimum wage does nothing to boost my salary. And you vastly OVER estimate how difficult it can be to better yourself. It is all in the choices you make in life. And your choices are yours to live with. To some have it easier than others? Yes. But just as some who have an easy path to a better life chose to stagnate in low paying jobs, some who have a very difficult path to bettering themselves do so and become very successful. While the road may not be of equal difficulty for all, it IS possible for all. And at the end, you are responsible for the choices you make.

Minimum wage provides a starting point for the economy that affects pretty much all wages. Congrats if you're in the tiny minority to which that doesn't apply. I think it's a testament to how difficult it actually is to raise yourself up that the success stories are considered anomolies.

As for the bolded part, I would completely agree, but many times the forces holding someone in a dead-end, minimum wage job are being held responsible for the choices others have made, and I think your viewpoint makes it too easy to dismiss that.

Success stories are not considered anomalies. Getting a worthwhile degree, or going to trade school and learning a trade, are not rare anomalies. And they are both paths to a decent life which are available to anyone. No, you may not earn a six figure salary. But that is also not a requirement to having a good life.

And you refer to forces holding someone in a dead end minimum wage job. Whose choices put them in that job in the first place? A persons situation in life is the sum total of the choices they make. Yes, their life may be impacted by others choices. But by and large, it was their choices that put them into a position to be impacted.

What you're talking about...going to college, going to trade school, improving their station in life...those are considered anomolous success stories in many communities.

Sorry, man. I'm a dirty liberal. I'd rather figure out a way to help someone overcome past mistakes so the entire society benefits than condemn them for the rest of their lives so that they become a social anchor.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    And did you know that Walmart deliberately keeps their wages low thus forcing the government to pay for health insurance and other safety net programs for its employees? They have even done food drives for their OWN employees. They also treat their employees like crap...read the book "Nickled and Dimed" I personally will not shop at Walmart.

Not everyone is meant for college or the corporate world...we need people to work the service industry job in order to function as a society. I hate when people look down on those who work at places like Walmart! They are human beings too that deserve respect. They are doing the best they can with what they have. You don't know their life circumstances. (these statements were not directed at anyone inparticular...just frustrated with the ignorance I deal with on a daily basis.)
  • AmberStarr_87
    AmberStarr_87 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Minimum wage is a tool to get votes. When minimum wage goes up, the companies that hire mostly minimum wage workers do two things; raise prices and cut hours to maintain their margins. That, in turn, reduces the quality (if you can call it that) of service, and makes those of us who have worked hard to get where we are pay more without a comparable bump in our non-minimum wage jobs.

They did not work hard to get where they are. Difficulty of work performed does not equate to value of work performed. Digging a ditch with a shovel would be difficult work, but it isn't valuable. Because any healthy idiot can operate a shovel. As such, the supply of labor is astronomical. And via supply and demand, the value of labor is very low.

No, not valuable. Supply and demand. One worker disappears, there are plenty more that can jump right in and do the job. As such, the individual minimum wage worker is not valuable.

worthdemotivator.jpg

Truth.
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ^^ maybe under the new affordable care act, but in the past those people would have made to much to qualify for Medicaid and would basically be screwed out of health insurance.
  • djeffreys10
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ^^ maybe under the new affordable care act, but in the past those people would have made to much to qualify for Medicaid and would basically be screwed out of health insurance.

Nobody has a right to the services of anyone else. Those services must be purchased. Doctors are not an exception to that rule.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

worthdemotivator.jpg

Get off your high horse.

Teachers are necessary. Doctors are necessary. Just like cashiers are.

• tincanonastring
    edited March 2015
    Options

Nobody has a right to the services of anyone else. Those services must be purchased. Doctors are not an exception to that rule.

Except they are. Maybe not at an individual practice, but a patient in need of care cannot be turned away from a hospital.
  • djeffreys10
    Options

worthdemotivator.jpg

Get off your high horse.

Teachers are necessary. Doctors are necessary. Just like cashiers are.

Get your head out of your butt. Necessary does not equate to value of time for services performed.

• djeffreys10
    edited March 2015
    Options

Except they are. Maybe not at an individual practice, but a patient in need of care cannot be turned away from a hospital.

Except they aren't. You act as if there are no laws that violates the rights of an individual. The doctor is still paid for his/her time. It is those of us who made better choices in life left to unfairly foot the bill of those who did not.

• AmberStarr_87
    Options
    If this is turning into an obamacare discussion, I'm out. Cause I will just piss everyone off.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Except they aren't. You act as if there are no laws that violates the rights of an individual.

As someone who worked in a hospital, no emergency room can deny a patient medical attention. You clearly have no clue what you are talking about.
  • djeffreys10
    edited March 2015
    Options

Except they aren't. You act as if there are no laws that violates the rights of an individual.

As someone who worked in a hospital, no emergency room can deny a patient medical attention. You clearly have no clue what you are talking about.

I never claimed they could. But they aren't doing it for free. The cost may not be paid by the patient, but it is paid. And that does not make it an individual right.

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything personally against Wal-Mart. I don't go there because of the public I have to encounter there. :# Maybe the Wal-Mart on the nice side of town but the other 2 Wal-marts we have ARE the bad side of town.

I worked there when I was 18 and hated it. My brother works there now and loves it. And he certainly makes enough to get by without welfare.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I find it amusing that so many people think someones deserves to be paid more, just because. If you want to earn more money, do something to make yourself more valuable. Nobody deserves to be paid a certain amount just because they posses the skill of converting oxygen to carbon dioxide.

do you kick the homeless or just spit on them?
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Except they aren't. You act as if there are no laws that violates the rights of an individual. The doctor is still paid for his/her time. It is those of us who made better choices in life left to unfairly foot the bill of those who did not.

Specifically for patients in need of care, there are, in fact, laws that say they cannot be turned away. Those people then get billed, can't pay, and we end up picking up the cost anyway. If only there was a law that mandated people get paid enough money so that if they get sick, they can afford to take care of themselves (or at least afford the insurance to do so)...
  • AmberStarr_87
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    KrysKiss87 wrote: »

As much as I hear what you're saying.. I kind of have to disagree. The fight for $15 in San Francisco and surrounding areas made sense to me.. Maybe because I live in the Monterey bay and the cost of living is OUTRAGEOUS. You HAVE to make $15/hr to be able to afford even a 2 bedroom apartment here. My husband makes salary, so it doesn't hit me directly- but I still understand the need. I pay $2600 a month rent for a 2.5 (office size room is the .5) bedroom house- and an apartment this size easily costs $1800. Trying to provide for yourself, let alone a family @ $8-$9/hour is impossible.

I've never understood the whole "but the cost of living is so high, pay me a ton more" thing. Yeah, OK, pay will be higher/lower in some areas but if you truly can't afford to live someplace then adapt and move to another location. A two bedroom apartment is under $800 a month here depending on how snotty of an area you want to live in. $1800 a month could buy a pretty big house here, and $2600 gets you into McMansion territory. "But I love it here so much." So pay to love it. Free country. I've known plenty of people from Cali. They swear up and down how amazing it was. Best place on Earth. So great. Can't beat it. Ask them why they moved. "Oh well I couldn't afford it there." Soooooo was it really THAT great if you were always broke?

I wasn't implying I had a problem with the cost of living, I was saying I "understood" the fight for $15 argument. But, alright. I like my smallish house, I like my beaches, and I chose to not spend more that $2600 so that I can save to own a home IN California.
  • PaperSt
    PaperSt Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I find it amusing that so many people think someones deserves to be paid more, just because. If you want to earn more money, do something to make yourself more valuable. Nobody deserves to be paid a certain amount just because they posses the skill of converting oxygen to carbon dioxide.

Amen.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

I never claimed they could. But they aren't doing it for free. The cost may not be paid by the patient, but it is paid. And that does not make it an individual right.

Sorry, that wasn't what your initial post said. You just said that people weren't obligated to provide a service.