FORTY!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    For those of you already there, what's the best thing about being 40?

Nothing. Just give up.

• stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Oh my, why do you dread living to turn 40? Its not ugly, its beautiful.
  • omegatek
    omegatek Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    jaymvita wrote: »
    I will be the dreaded 4-0 in a couple of months. (It was SO hard to type that!) I have this feeling I still have things I need to do before I turn that stupid number. For those of you already there, what's the best thing about being 40? What do you wish you had done? For those of you who are dreading it as much as I am, what do you want to do before getting there?

Oh don't sweat that at all! Just a number. 43 here and still kicking like Kung Fu :) The best part is the wisdom that's built up behind you. You're not dealing with the trifling details and petty people because frankly you no longer have the patience for it. And that's a good thing :) You know how to focus on you now so get to it, girl ;)

Wow! You're 43!? Man, I hope I can get in the same shape you're in by that age. I turn 40 next year :( No more excuses.
  • burnsjulia
    burnsjulia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Forties is a good decade! (I say turning 49 later this year.) I like this perspective: huffingtonpost.com/christina-vuleta/15-things-to-love-about-turning-40_b_5974634.html

My favorite from it: "You realize that all those people you think are so confident and lead perfect lives... are just as screwed up as everyone else."

Now 50... that's getting hard to say!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I will be the dreaded 4-0 in a couple of months. (It was SO hard to type that!) I have this feeling I still have things I need to do before I turn that stupid number. For those of you already there, what's the best thing about being 40? What do you wish you had done? For those of you who are dreading it as much as I am, what do you want to do before getting there?
    I wish was 40 again. Anyway, age is just a number. There are lots of people who get in better shape later in their life versus when they were in their 30's. It's more about your attitude about it rather than the actual age.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    The best thing about forty is being Thankful that your not fifty!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You've got great things to look forward to BTW! We get better with age! :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Based on genetics, I got at least another 35 years to go before I kick the bucket. My grandmother passed at 84, my grandfather at 87, my mom is now turning 89 next month and my dad is 82 now.........................and I'm in better shape by far then they've ever been at the same age.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KristaPerseveres
    KristaPerseveres Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    40 rocks! It brings confidence and the ability to speak with authority. You care less about what people think. Turning 40 has been a very liberating for me. I'm in way better shape and am so much happier than I ever was in my 30's. Don't look at it as you have all these things you haven't accomplished. Why can't you still do those things now and once you turn 40? Age is just a number, live how you feel. Embrace each day as a gift, no one is guaranteed tomorrow. Hug those you love and tell them every day. :-) <3
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    burnsjulia wrote: »
    Forties is a good decade! (I say turning 49 later this year.) I like this perspective: huffingtonpost.com/christina-vuleta/15-things-to-love-about-turning-40_b_5974634.html

My favorite from it: "You realize that all those people you think are so confident and lead perfect lives... are just as screwed up as everyone else."

Now 50... that's getting hard to say!

Naw it is easy let me see in my forties I earned a black belt and started playing soccer with a bunch of guys while running 5Ks. In my 50s I ran a 1/2 marathon, still run 5Ks, play soccer on an amateur team for over 40 guys, played soccer with a German team. Ran a spartan race...and a tough mudder. For a guy who in his teen years hated to run not bad. 50 is an opportunity to really up the level. And I finish a master's degree is all goes well before I turn 60. Interested in how I will top this decade. You can do better than me for you are ahead of where I was in that decade. Go forth and conquer.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    You see this smile on my face? I didn't have it in my 20's & 30's. There is something magical about 40. Don't fear it, embrace it and hold on for the ride of your life! Life starts at 40. Enjoy
  • dsdhall
    dsdhall Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love this discussion. Despite being probably near peak unhealthiness levels (which I am here to fix...), much happier in myself in my 40's than any time since I was a teenager.

Regrets - losing touch with people, and not taking those opportunities that seemed so scary at the time.

Love the comment from burnsjulia - "You realize that all those people you think are so confident and lead perfect lives... are just as screwed up as everyone else."

Something else I came to terms with by the time I got to 40 was that situations I found mortifyingly embarrassing were forgotten by others within minutes (if they even noticed at all), but that a kind gesture is remembered for ages.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Truth is I fell apart at 35. The opportunities I have are freebies. Take time for yourself and enjoy unplugging from time to time. It will provide a calm and help refresh your batteries!
  • Jessica_L_E
    Jessica_L_E Posts: 1,969 Member
    Options
    I'm 40...39 bothered me more...
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Shoot, life is good after 40. I got my black belt at 45.
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I just have to smile at all the messages from you young pups. I always go with the idea, "how old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?"
  • LovingLifeInCalifornia
    LovingLifeInCalifornia Posts: 9,362 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    For those of you already there, what's the best thing about being 40?

Nothing. Just give up.

Lol. Always the ray of sunshine. ;)
  • CountryBabe75
    CountryBabe75 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bekim123 wrote: »
    I just have to smile at all the messages from you young pups. I always go with the idea, "how old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?"

I absolutely LOVE this!!! Why do we have to tie ourselves down to numbers? (I'm sure I'll have to turn my CPA license in for that one.) Age and weight are just numbers, we need to live life to it's fullest no matter what. Thanks everybody!!!
  • CountryBabe75
    CountryBabe75 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    harvo wrote: »
    Truth is I fell apart at 35. The opportunities I have are freebies. Take time for yourself and enjoy unplugging from time to time. It will provide a calm and help refresh your batteries!

You know I'm trying! Thanks for being there for me!
  • Darkhawk1969
    Darkhawk1969 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and l am fitter now then l was 20 years ago. Age is just a number
  • WebFootFreak
    WebFootFreak Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Ran my first 2 triathlons at 41 (and 250lbs).