I found my "replacement" for ice cream!

Options
eltav
eltav Posts: 1 Member
So ice cream is probably the worst culprit to my waist line. I switched to frozen yogurt, which helped a little, but there's still so much added sugar. Then I found it. A recipe for making ice cream using JUST bananas. I was skeptical, but I just tried it. It is AMAZING. I don't think I'll ever go back to ice cream. I ahVTudvo.jpg
ctually like this more. I added a couple dashes of cocoa powder to make it chocolate.
Here's mine: http://imgur.com/hVTudvo
And here's how to make it: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-with-just-one-ingredient-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-93414

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Glad you found something that makes you happy.

But frozen banana =/= ice cream. or frozen yogurt.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I've had this before and it is SO good! You can add a dash of PB2 into it to make it peanut butter flavored :)
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I love me some frozen banana ice cream. I add a little chocolate protein powder to it.
  • klatonic2014
    Options
    hmmm. i may try this!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    A frozen banana with added PB2 or protein powder will have almost as many calories in 100g as a same-sized serving of gelato or sorbet.

There is money in the banana stand, to be sure....but I'd rather keep working in small servings of high-quality real frozen dairy. :)
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    The only thing that replaces ice-cream, IMO, is more ice-cream.
  • breelizabethbiscardi
    Options
    In the vegan community we call this "nice cream" :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    A frozen banana with added PB2 or protein powder will have almost as many calories in 100g as a same-sized serving of gelato or sorbet.

There is money in the banana stand, to be sure....but I'd rather keep working in small servings of high-quality real frozen dairy. :)

^This. I'd have to add the PB2 to make it yummy. I'd rather have Talenti.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    eltav wrote: »
    I don't think I'll ever go back to ice cream.
    Huh. So like never try any other new flavors ever again?
    Excess within control. That's how I do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    eltav wrote: »
    So ice cream is probably the worst culprit to my waist line. I switched to frozen yogurt, which helped a little, but there's still so much added sugar. Then I found it. A recipe for making ice cream using JUST bananas. I was skeptical, but I just tried it. It is AMAZING. I don't think I'll ever go back to ice cream. I ahVTudvo.jpg
    ctually like this more. I added a couple dashes of cocoa powder to make it chocolate.
    Here's mine: http://imgur.com/hVTudvo
    And here's how to make it: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-with-just-one-ingredient-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-93414

Bananas have a ton of sugar in them.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

QFT
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have had bananas in the freezer meaning to do this, I must say, that looks delicious. I will have to do that when I et home!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    In the vegan community we call this "nice cream" :)

I had coconut-based frozen yogurt/ice cream. Because the guy I was dating at the time has issues with dairy. It was pretty good. I was surprised at how good it was for my root beer float.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options

I'd rather have Talenti.

For sure...
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I put frozen banana in my protein shake. Also about 1/4 cup of yogurt. Less of the water. Some vanilla extract. All that goes in the food processor and turns into something like soft serve which tastes great to me.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    .... or sometimes I use frozen strawberries instead of bananas. I tried blueberries once, but the skins made a weird texture. :X
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Its still frozen banana. I was surprised how reasonable the calories are for ice cream.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Ice-cream-GIF.gif
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna have to try this. Thanks for the idea :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    .... or sometimes I use frozen strawberries instead of bananas. I tried blueberries once, but the skins made a weird texture. :X
    raspberries and blackberries create an odd texture too lol